His dog or her dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Are the dogs his, hers, or ours?
His 19 14.07%
Hers 55 40.74%
Some are his, some are hers 25 18.52%
They're all both of ours 36 26.67%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

His dog or her dog?

I'm interested in talking about gender and how it relates to taking responsibility for the dog. With apologies to our single friends and our GLBT friends, I'd like to know, in households with a male and female adult, are your dogs "his" or "hers"? Whose idea was it to get a dog? Who chose the breed? Who chose the breeder/shelter/etc and the specific dog?

In our house, the dogs are really more mine. When we first decided to get a dog about 9 years ago, it was a GSD or nothing for him. That's all he had as a kid growing up. I'd had lots of different breeds and mixes but never a GSD. I research breeders, take them to the vet, take them to training, work with them during the week, research food options, keep track of heart worm and flea prevention, etc. He loves them, plays with them, and gives them their morning meal.

Although he says they're his dogs and if I'm nice he'll let me snuggle with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Crowned Member

I brought both my girls to the relationship. We adopted Micah together although he's always been more "mine" because my SO wasn't living with me officially when we adopted him.

We made the decision together on Kodi but Kodi was his boy, and Dante was mine.

So I wouldn't be surprised if a 5th was added when the right one comels along. Probably a GSD but he's interested in other breeds as well. We make decisions together on pets, but the next dog will be his pick primarily because Dante was mine.

We both care for and love on the dogs equally. It's not a "one person loves them and the other just allows them to be here" kind of situation.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
We both care for and love on the dogs equally. It's not a "one person loves them and the other just allows them to be here" kind of situation.
Absolutely. We both love them very much, I just do most of the dog-related work because I have the time and inclination to do it.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:22 PM

all the dogs I have/had were my idea , I paid for them if I bought them, I rescued them when I rescued. They have always viewed the hubby as a playmate Altho my male aussie has attached himself to the hubby, which is fine, I consider him his dog.

The cats on the other hand, (I have 5),,were a mutual decision, but again they mostly hang with me..

He 'likes' animals, but lets put it this way, if I ever left, they'd all go with me

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Absolutely. We both love them very much, I just do most of the dog-related work because I have the time and inclination to do it.
Me too. I usually do the feeding AM and PM, most of the cleaning, baths, poop pickup, etc. But this is only because I am a stay at home mom now and he works an off shift, so he's not up as early and leaves by the dogs dinner most nights for work.

BTW, I selected "they're all both of ours" because they really are, but we both refer to Dante as "mine" and Kodi was "his." So I'm making sure that the next dog is his pick...whether it's a puppy from a breeder or a dog from the shelter. He knows it's ultimately his decision to get what he wants when the time and right dog comes along.

Last edited by Rerun; 12-16-2010 at 04:29 PM.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Crowned Member

My husband and I never make a decision without consulting each other. We're a team in everything we do, and that includes our dogs.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Elite Member

mine. i walk them, feed them, train them, play with them. no offense to my GF, but she's pretty much for for an occasional walk either with me or if I'm gone. give some pets and cuddling with them. i do all the work

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Knighted Member

I had to vote "hers". Hubby loves them but thats about it. I do everything. I tried to get him involved with training or going for a walk but he couldn't be bothered. He's not lazy. Sometimes I think my "obsession" with the dogs pisses him off. He tells me I love the dogs more than him. Gee I wonder why.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Knighted Member

Mine.....all the way!

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Master Member

The girls are definitely my dogs! DH feeds them dinner and does play w/ them, but I do all the training, grooming and set the rules!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page