What is the coldest temperature you have ever experienced? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

What is the coldest temperature you have ever experienced?

Now that winter is here I was wondering what the coldest temperature you have ever experience?

Last December I was in Thompson Manitoba working and the temperature hit -68 degrees Celsius(-90.4 Fahrenheit). I never want to experience that again the sun would rise at 9:30am and set at 4:00pm it was pretty depressing. Here at home we usually get a week or two in the -40 C (-40F) but majority of the winter is -20C (-4F)

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't wait to meet you again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 06:25 AM
Crowned Member

well i definitely cant say i've experience that kind of cold! the coldest i remember was -15 F when my parents and i lived in Michigan. i imagine it got colder but thats the only one i remember. i was sick most of the time we were there.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Elite Member

We get -20F here in Michigan with wind chill. Our club trains outside year-round, but cancels training at 15F.

BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Crowned Member

It got to minus 20 F once when I was a kid, but I probably stayed inside that day! The coldest temperature that I ever spent a long time out in was minus 4 F in Syracuse NY one winter, I rode my bike to work 7 miles. I was pretty frozen by the time I got to work.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 08:56 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Coldest is -40 degrees (the numbers coincide at -40 on both the Celsius and Farenheit scales). Here, it is business as usual: Schools and businesses are open, people are out and about. Though schools have indoor recess breaks in this cold. I work indoors, so not as bad for me as for some people that work outdoors.

The cold does not bother me that much. I go hiking and cross-country skiing on the trails around my house in the -20 to -30 Celsius range regularly - it does not bother the dogs either. Colder than -30 I keep the outdoor play/potty breaks down to about 10-15 minutes because the dogs' paws get cold. They do that funny dance where they try to pick up all their feet at the same time.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Crowned Member

-30 Here in Boston at one point. Not actual temperature though. It was with the wind chill.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Master Member

-15F at Ft. Wainwright, Alaska. Which seemed pretty cold at the time, but that -90.4F puts that to shame.

I have found that as I get older, I prefer cold weather more than hot weather. This is strange because I grew up in Lakewood, California, where a temperature of 65F sent us reaching for the parkas.

Is anyone else here the same?

"What's there to dominate when your dog is well trained and it does what you ask??" - DoggieDad
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I remember a miserable week when I worked at a race horse farm. The high temps were 1 to 3 degrees F. The night time temps were -15 to -20. I have worked outside most of my life, in one capacity or another, and that was the worst week I have ever spent. I had a mare decide to foal on a day when it was 0 out with a wind chill of -25. We were in a barn, but it was still pretty awful.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Elite Member

-59F! That was fun! The schools closed because it was too cold. It usually was about -40F back home and when its that temperature everything is still normal and things open.

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

I think it was about -20F with the windchill (without I think it was like -4 or something). Luckily in Syr we get the most snow of any other city, but as a whole our temperature aren't nearly as extreme as, say, some of the Great Lakes.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page