German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Take a Poll (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/take-poll/)
-   -   CKC (Continental Kennel Club) (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/take-poll/145906-ckc-continental-kennel-club.html)

Akk578 11-08-2010 11:22 AM

CKC (Continental Kennel Club)

My dogs are CKC registered. Is that a okay registry? What are your thoguhts on it? I see so many dogs now registered with CKC the (continental) now. I get mixed opinions on the registry. But how is it for German Shepherds?:confused:

Deuce 11-08-2010 11:30 AM

My boy is ACA (American Kennel Club) registered. I guess there isn't anything wrong with CKC, they just don't have any events near me and they don't keep the events schedule up to date most of the time.

Jax08 11-08-2010 11:33 AM

Those are not valid Purebred registries. Anyone can register anything with them without proving lineage.

ACA is NOT American Kennel Club. American Kennel Club is AKC. I don't have any idea what the ACA is but here is the website.

American Canine Association

Deuce 11-08-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 1949513)
Those are not valid Purebred registries. Anyone can register anything with them without proving lineage.

ACA is NOT American Kennel Club. American Kennel Club is AKC. I don't have any idea what the ACA is but here is the website.

American Canine Association

Sorry, typo on my part. American Canine Association. Deuce is purebred and both mom/dad were ACA registered.

Rerun 11-08-2010 11:36 AM

It's really very simple.

AKC is the only registration in the United States that registers dogs based on their parents AKC registraton.

ACA and CKC both allow you to take a dog out of a shelter or a stray off the street, take a picture of it, and it they deem that it looks purebred enough they register your dog. Then all the offspring can be registered as well. This doesn't make your dog a bad dog or an unworthy one, it simply means it's not a valid/real registration since all that it's based on is if the dog "looks" purebred.

Jax08 11-08-2010 11:37 AM

Your dog can be purebred and still registered with these organizations but basically it doesn't mean anything. The AKC, UKC are valid, recognized organizations.

If you want, you can register your purebred with the AKC under a PAL number. Your dog must be spayed/neutered and you must send in an application and pictures. If approved, and it's not hard to be approved as long as your dog looks purebred, then you can participate in any sport but not confirmation.

Deuce 11-08-2010 11:39 AM

For me, ACA works just fine. I'm not neutering Deuce until he's at least 18 months old so PAL registeration won't work right now and my main reason for registering him was to take part in events in my area :)

Chris Wild 11-08-2010 11:42 AM

As others have said, AKC and UKC are the only registries in the US that register solely on proof of purebred lineage. So really they are the only truly reputable registries. AKC is also the only registry in the US that is recognized by the international community.

The other registries like CKC and ACA and similar are also very commonly used by breeders who cannot register their dogs with AKC because either they have been suspended by AKC for violations or more often they cannot prove the dogs they are breeding are purebreds, from an unbroken lineage of registered purebreds, or they obtained their breeding dogs from sources who also couldn't qualify for AKC registration. This makes these registries very common for puppymills and BYBs and other questionable breeders with questionable breeding stock.

Being registered through another organization doesn't mean it's a bad dog, or that it's not a purebred. But it is sometimes questionable.

Samba 11-08-2010 11:43 AM

Often these registries are used by breeders who can not meet the very minimal standards set by the AKC and UKC. I am leery of them and would not support breeders who utilize them myself.

That is not meant as a criticism of anyone's personal pet, but as an overall critique of CKC, ACA and others like them.

Deuce 11-08-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 1949523)
Your dog can be purebred and still registered with these organizations but basically it doesn't mean anything. The AKC, UKC are valid, recognized organizations.

If you want, you can register your purebred with the AKC under a PAL number. Your dog must be spayed/neutered and you must send in an application and pictures. If approved, and it's not hard to be approved as long as your dog looks purebred, then you can participate in any sport but not confirmation.

The dog must be at least 6 months old, as well :p