View Poll Results: Cross breeding?
I like cross breeding. 13 13.00%
I dislike cross breeding. 87 87.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

For or Against: Cross breeding

Um, could someone correct me if I'm wrong, but an example of cross breeding is the goldendoodle, right? Okay.

So, what are your thoughts on cross breeding? Like taking a golden retriever and breeding it to a poodle.

Is it benefiting the dog world or the opposite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Elite Member

I'm totally against it. It's just as you said, cross breeding and it's not doing anyone or anything any good. They're basically mutts.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:57 AM
Crowned Member

I don't like or dislike it. If it weren't for mixed breeding I wouldn't have Rosa. I think wide variety in everything (people, plants, animals) benefits the world. I believe those who wish to breed crosses have that right, as do those who breed pure lines. Whether one chooses to own a purebred or mix is up to them.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Crowned Member

I believe that, if they DO crossbreed they should be honest about it! Don't call it a new breed, admit that it is a mutt. I voted against because there really isn't anyone doing it properly. They aren't trying to make a new breed, which is a TON of work and careful planning and paperwork/record keeping. They throw 2 dogs together and call them hypo-allergenic. They don't tell buyers that the dog could fall anywhere in size/weight of the 2 breeds used, not to mention that the temperment can be very questionable since the breeds are often on opposite ends of the spectrum. A golden retriever and a poodle are very different in personality. Also, some will use a minature poodle and some will use a standard. Etc Etc...

I remember a few years ago there was work on a new breed. I want to say it was the Kelpie, but I it's too early to remember. That I would approve of - they had a purpose and they put in the work to make it happen. Too often crossbreeding = irresponsible make a $$ breeders
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dainerra View Post
i believe that, if they do crossbreed they should be honest about it! Don't call it a new breed, admit that it is a mutt.
amen!
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Crowned Member

It depends on the motivation for me. There are cross bred dogs that I would own. I think it can be successful for some purposes. I am not particularly interested in it as a way to produce the next popular pet though.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Crowned Member

I dont like "designer" dogs.

I'm not a huge fan of mixed breeds, I mean yes they are adorable and they are some of the best dogs but it's like a wild card, you dont know how big they are going to get, you dont know how their personality is going to be because chances are your not going to know the parents of that dog.

However I do like the mix of GSD/Husky. I love the looks and the temperment of GSD/Husky mixes though, they all seem to be the same (my mom has one, I have one and I know a couple of people that have some). They are smart, fast learners, beautiful, fast, athletic, talkers (but not as bad as PB Husky's) they are a little bit independent (not glued to you like a GSD, but not as independent as PB Husky's) and they can have GSD coloring or Husky coloring and they could have those beautiful haunting blue eyes.

I also like GSD/Chow mixes and Rott/Chow mixes.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09

Last edited by LaRen616; 10-21-2010 at 07:50 AM.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Karma View Post
I don't like or dislike it. If it weren't for mixed breeding I wouldn't have Rosa. I think wide variety in everything (people, plants, animals) benefits the world. I believe those who wish to breed crosses have that right, as do those who breed pure lines. Whether one chooses to own a purebred or mix is up to them.
I totally agree with this. And there are a lot of purposely bred mixes that are actually used for work or sport. Lurchers, Borderjacks, GSD/Mal crosses, even the Doodles.

Also at some point, adding a different breed to the gene pool of some of the purebreds is going to be the only option for improvement of health. When you have breeds where most of the affected by a genetic disorder and the rest carry it, the only way to improve on health is to outcross. This was the case with Dalmatians and uric acid. All resgitered, purebred Dals have the potential to be stone formers, though not all are because they all have abnormal uric acid. There is a line of Dals that was created by adding a Pointer in one time (first generation was PointerxDal all subsequent generations were only bred to Dals). About half of those dogs have normal uric acid. Unfortunately, while the project was originally intended for these dogs to be adding into the AKC studbook, the DCA members changed their minds and don't want "mixed breeds" in their gene pool. The "backcross project" Dals are still being bred, they just can't be registered.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
I voted against because there really isn't anyone doing it properly. They aren't trying to make a new breed, which is a TON of work and careful planning and paperwork/record keeping.
Aren't they doing this with Labradoodles in Australia?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Crowned Member

There are far too many 'mix' breeds at the shelters. IMO, it is just a scam to make money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page