View Poll Results: Physical Punishment?
No, I am against using physical punishment. 26 74.29%
Yes, I am for using physical punishment. 9 25.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

For or Against: Using physical punishment on dogs

Whether in training or just when your dog does unwanted behavior, are you for or against using physical punishment? What I mean by physical punishment is whipping your dog, popping dog on the nose, etc.

I don't know enough to have a opinion in this matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Elite Member

I think everyone here is going to be against.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:53 AM
Crowned Member

Okay, I accidentally voted yes. Duh.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Karma View Post
Okay, I accidentally voted yes. Duh.
LOL it's early.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Knighted Member

What does the op mean? A firm correction for not complying with a learned behavior or the puppy dug a hole in my garden so now I am mad and going to smack it?

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:48 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandrenee View Post
What does the op mean? A firm correction for not complying with a learned behavior or the puppy dug a hole in my garden so now I am mad and going to smack it?
I believe that IS what they are asking? Old time training based more on punishment vs. new methods that work on smart training methods.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Knighted Member

I believe Chris Wild has already talked about - in response to your poll yesterday - why punishment has no place in dog training BUT punishment is NOT the same as physical correction.

I don't think anyone is their right mind is in favor of whipping the dog ...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Banned

OTOH, I have taught all of mu GSD's to "take" things like biscuits and little pieces of kibble (treats) easy with a soft mouth and one of the things we used was a little one finger tap on the nose if they were too enthusiastic about gobbling the treat. it works along with a verbal "easy" and the tap only after theyknew what they were supposed to do.

Would anyone thing of this as "punishment"? I have had someone in our local obedience club tell me that the tap was a "no no" and could have an adverse effect on the dog and our relationship.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Crowned Member

Different poll, same problem with the wording.

A CORRECTION (leash pop for pulling) is not the same as PUNISHMENT (pop on the nose for a trained adult stealing food off your dinner plate right in front of you) or ABUSE (whipping for any reason).

I don't understand the purpose of all these polls.

Different people have different training methods. I think it's sad that if someone uses corrections in their training someone else refers to positive only training as "smart training" thereby implying that a correction is only used by stupid people or it's stupid to use a correction.

How frustrating it must be for people new to the hobby, because I'm not new and it's frustrating to me. I am trying something new for the first time with our puppy (clicker training) but use a facility that promotes the clicker for what it is - a tool - not a miracle cure for everything. Corrections are utilized when necessary and proper, and are fair and humane. However, one tries to get advice on clicker training and you are usually stuck getting advice from what many I know refer to as "the clicker crowd." Unfortunately these people are anti-correction so it's difficult to even get an outside opinion and it ends up appearing as those it's one way or the other. If you use corrections you're lazy or cruel or don't know what you're talking about.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned

Very true!

All corrections are not punishment!

And a lot of people sometimes use the words to mean the same thing (or different things!) so one has to first understand what other people really mean to be able to inntelligently discuss the issue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page