Would you reccomend GSD for kids? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do you think GSD's are good family/kid dogs?
No, I would not reccomend them to be around children. 3 1.69%
Yes, but older children. 26 14.69%
Yes, I would reccomend the breed to be around all ages including young children. 148 83.62%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Would you reccomend GSD for kids?

I was just wondering how people thought of GSD's being kid/family dogs? Do you feel the breed is a trustworthy breed to be around children? I have a male GSD and I have three children 5 yrs, 3 yrs, and 2 yrs an I have had poeple say to me before that my dog was a poor choice because GSD are not good to be around children. Yet mine loves them to death so I was wonderind what others thought to this subject.

Bandit (9 months old) Male GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Crowned Member

If the dog is of good genetics and is in a household that does right by the breed, they are the best!
Its sad though that many of them are bred by BYB's and placed with people who have no clue on training, socializing etc.
Then they dump them at a shelter after the cute puppy stage wears off(or sooner) or are put in a kennel out back and the dog gets reactive due to lack of nurturing.
That is where the breed reputation has come from.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Banned

yes GSD's make great family pets. if there's a problem
within the family it's probably because the adults in the house
are doing or did something wrong when raising the GSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
If the dog is of good genetics and is in a household that does right by the breed, they are the best!

Exactly what I was going to say!

post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Crowned Member

so far ALL of my dogs do great with kids. They love our kids, seeking them out to give very sloppy just took a drink kisses. Well trained and nurtured GSDs are fabulous with kids. those who say that GSDs are a poor choice as a family pet, i believe dont have a clue what they're talking about and really have no right to say anything as a result because obviously, my dogs are fine with kids. I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old. My kids dont know what life without a GSD is and i hope we always have a gsd!

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
yes GSD's make great family pets. if there's a problem
within the family it's probably because the adults in the house
are doing or did something wrong when raising the GSD.
I'm with this.

I think the problem with GSDs and kids is not necessarily that they're not great together. But I think GSDs require competent owners who establish clear boundaries and expectations and meet their physical and mental stimulation requirements. I think we can all agree that many pet owners out there do not fit this description.

Now, personally I do care for small children/toddlers with large breed puppies. I didn't think it was good when we had Mastiff's either. Small kids and dogs should never be unsupervised in my opinion. An active 7 month old 70lb puppy can level a toddler without any sort of ill intention. But again that goes to the management of the situation by the adults in the household.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Crowned Member

It's usually not a question if a dog is good or safe with kids, but the other way around. People don't teach kids how to behave around dogs so the kids are unsafe. Also, kids should never be left unattended around dogs because of this.

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Master Member

I agree with elaine. It's up to the parents to teach the KIDS how to act around a dog. Skylar has major issues with kids because she's been chased by them, kids throwing themselves at her, etc. It was strange kids. I can't trust her around kids because of the KIDS, she would have been fine if parents would teach their kids how to approach strange dogs!! So yes, if the parents can train the kids how to act around a shepherd, or any dog, then it would be safe- i'd never leave any dog unattended with a child, though, no matter how good i thought they'd be.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Master Member

I am so glad both of my kids grew up around my GSDs. They both have such an appreciation not only for the breed but animals in general ! My son thinks the world of DJ, almost like he was HIS dog !

I so hope there is a Doggie Heaven !!!

Princess - mini GSD
Jason - GSD/mix
Sheba - GSD/mix
Charlie - GSD/Dane
Max - GSD
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Crowned Member

My two oldest kids had GSD's Major, Gretchen, Shultzie, and Chief in their lives. I would trust all of these GSd's with my kid's lives. Later, when my youngest was born, only Chief was left, and he was that baby's protector and best friend for 10 years. Now Wolfie is around mostly adults, but my daughter has 2 young stepsons that come and see Wolfie. He just loves it when they show up to play.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page