What dog food do you feed you GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Which brand of dog food do you feed you German Shepherd?
Alpo 0 0%
Beneful 0 0%
Bil Jac 2 0.63%
Blue Buffalo 37 11.64%
Pedigree 2 0.63%
Kirkland 12 3.77%
Nutro 5 1.57%
Iams 5 1.57%
Eukanuba 2 0.63%
Eukanuba German Shepherd 2 0.63%
Ol Roys 0 0%
Diamond or Diamond Naturals 18 5.66%
Purina 13 4.09%
Science Diet 3 0.94%
Orijen or Retriever 45 14.15%
Other 184 57.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

What dog food do you feed you GSD?

I am curious to what dog food everyone feeds there GSD and why?
Why did you chose that dog food?
An what to you sets it apart from the other brands?

Bandit (9 months old) Male GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Crowned Member

Orijen... It has some of the best ingredients you will find on the side of a bag of dog food and it's made by a respectable and trustworthy company.
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

I have selected Diamond Naturals. I feed my GSD Diamond naturals Large breed puppy. It has good ingredance (sp?) compare to all the other brands I have found so far that are avalible to us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Crowned Member

You really listed about the 15 worst dog foods out there and orijen, so of course i chose orijen. There are tons of much better foods out there than the ones you listed. I bet the majority of the people here don't feed any of the foods you listed except maybe kirkland, blue buffalo, and orijen.

There's actually a recent thread we had just like this if you wanted to take a look.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...food-poll.html
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

I am sorry. I did my best..... I tried listing a variety so people could actually select there dog food on the list other than choosing other. I don't have anything against your choice of dog food I was just emailing you to let you know it is on the list for you to choose of you would like. =)

post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:00 PM

The puppy gets Wellness Large Breed Puppy. He does well on it and I'm comfortable with the ingredient list. He's the second puppy I've raised on Wellness and I've been really pleased with their health and coat condition.

The other 4 adult dogs are on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. I prefer fish based kibbles for one of my dogs, it's grain free and of good quality. Also feeding four dogs can get expensive. Of the grain free choices in my area, TOTW is the most economical.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:06 PM

I think what LucyDog was trying to tell you is that most of the members on this site wouldn't feed the majority of foods on your list. Most of them are not quality foods - exception being Orijen, Blue Buffalo and if on a budget Kirkland.

Raven is currently on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon but is switching to TOTW Pacific Stream (which my foster is on) when this bag is done.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Okay..... Since you are the second person to mention those brand dog foods I am now second guessing the dog food I am feeding. I thought it to be a good brand dog food. So now I am curious to if I am feeding my buddy junk food. Can I get some opinions on these ingredients in this brand of dog food. Rather it is good or bad or what you think of it......

Diamons Naturals Large Breed Puppy Food
Ingredients

Lamb, lamb meal, egg product, cracked pearled barley, millet, ground rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potato protein, oatmeal, potatoes, tomato pomace, flaxseed, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
I think what LucyDog was trying to tell you is that most of the members on this site wouldn't feed the majority of foods on your list. Most of them are not quality foods - exception being Orijen, Blue Buffalo and if on a budget Kirkland
exactly what i meant
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Crowned Member

Here's a good website to kind of give you an idea about good and bad foods. They rate each product by their ingredients and give a breakdown about it's positives and negatives. Definitely worth taking a look.

Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page