For or Against: Spaying/Neutering - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: For or Against Spaying/Neutering?
I am against spaying/neutering dogs but my dog(s) are fixed. 6 5.31%
I am for spaying/neutering dogs, but my dog(s) are unaltered. 30 26.55%
I am against spaying/neutering and my dogs are unaltered. 13 11.50%
I am for spaying/neutering and my dogs are fixed. 64 56.64%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

For or Against: Spaying/Neutering

Are you for or against spaying females or neutering males? If you have a GSD or other dogs, are they spayed/neutered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:17 PM

I am all for it, if the dogs are not being shown in conformation or future plans to breed. and yes, all the dogs I have/had ended up being s/n, tho some were later than others because I was showing them

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Also, feel free to tell why you are for or against it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:32 PM

My dogs are unaltered. But I would never say I was against spaying or neutering. I think altering your pet can be the best thing for some pet owners. But I also support responsible pet owners being allowed to keep their animals intact without penalty.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Crowned Member

I'm only against it if the dog is owned by irresponsible people who won't watch to make sure their dog isn't going to get pregnant/impregnate another dog and increase the population that much more. However, if they plan to breed and have good intentions for their breeding, them I'm fine with it.

Our dogs are all fixed because they weren't going to be bred, and so there's no need for them to be intact.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

My dogs are both altered because one if from a oops litter and the other is a from a shelter.

There bad owners of both altered and unaltered pets. If someone can be a responsible pet owner of an unaltered pet then I don't see why they have to have them spayed/neutered. If your dog is a mixed breed/stray/BYB then the animal should be spayed/neuetered.

If someone is showing or plans on showing their dog, or plans to be a breeder and is going to title their dog etc and want to better the breed then I don't see why they have to spay or neuter.

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Miikkas mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD Fan View Post
Are you for or against spaying females or neutering males? If you have a GSD or other dogs, are they spayed/neutered?

Iím for spaying. However, I think spaying at the right time is important. I do plan on having Miikka spayed; I just donít want to do it until she is a little older. Say, around 2, or so.

Momma to:
Miikka, 2-year old F Black & Red WGSL
Scout, 5 year F calico cat

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bella, 15 yr old GSD/Chow chow mix
Annie, 16 yr old Black Cocker Spaniel
Socks, 15 yr old Tuxedo cat
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:49 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I am FOR it and my dogs have all been spayed.

For me, it's to assure, really really know, that NEVER will a dog I have be responsible for a pup that ends up in a shelter. Cause I know that though I may be ever so careful, once a puppy is out of my hands, I can't be 100% sure the new owner is going to keep their part of the bargain. And even if that puppy is in a 'good' home for it's life, what about if THEY breed it (on purpose or accidentally) and so on.

The only way I know that NEVER will any dog under my responsiblity end up in a shelter or horrible home is by spaying/neutering. So I do.

And bless all the great responsible breeders who are able to weed out good owners from bad, keep track of all the pups forever, give out LIMITED registration to help prevent unregistered litters from coming about.

And bless everyone that gets their dogs from a shelter or rescue!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
vat
Knighted Member

I am for it but think it is up to the owner not the city council! Max is not neutered yet but will be once he is grown. I understand why shelters do it but here they will do puppies as young as 9 weeks. Its sad because they really do not know how that will affect the dog removing hormones at such a young age.

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Knighted Member

I am for it though not so much for males where I see little health benefit for doing so, but females yes. My Zoe will be spayed around Christmas before her second heat- I think females should go through that first heat My male lab is 8 and unaltered and will remain this way forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page