German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Take a Poll (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/take-poll/)
-   -   Could you lift your dog in an emergency? (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/take-poll/141580-could-you-lift-your-dog-emergency.html)

Chicagocanine 08-30-2010 03:35 AM

Could you lift your dog in an emergency?

I was thinking about this... If your dog was sick or injured, could you lift/move them by yourself?
If your dog is too big to lift, do you have a device or a plan on how you would move them in an emergency?
Bianca is right near the limit of what I can lift/move. I can carry her short distances, but if I ever get a dog who weighs more than her I would need an alternate plan or something.

BowWowMeow 08-30-2010 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagocanine (Post 1893129)
I was thinking about this... If your dog was sick or injured, could you lift/move them by yourself?
If your dog is too big to lift, do you have a device or a plan on how you would move them in an emergency?

Funny you ask this...I downsized when I got Rafi because I had to lift Chama (70 pounds), Basu (80 pounds) and Massie (90 pounds) at some point in their lives and it was very difficult for me. I did have an emergency situation with both Basu and Chama and I had to lift and carry them a short distance. Not fun!

I also found it very difficult lifting the two gsds into the back of my truck.

Rafi weighs a very manageable 60 pounds and, as much as I am tempted, I am going to stay on the small side!

Hercules 08-30-2010 04:58 AM

I lift my 83 pound Hercules for fun every now and then, I've picked him up the way your do a cat or a little dog, piggy back ride style, and I haven't tried this yet but I KNOW I could pick him up fireman's carry style because during training with my Marine Corps recruiters, I had to fireman's carry my friend who is 185. So yes lol.

Konotashi 08-30-2010 05:11 AM

Ozzy, Shelbye, Schatzi, and Aiden weigh between 4 and 24 lbs., so they're all easy to pick up. Sania however, is a bit more of a challenge. Not because of her weight, but because she'll fight back. When we had to carry her to the car once and the pavement was HOT, she fought which made it VERY difficult to carry her. It's mostly her head hitting mine that makes it difficult. She weighs roughly 65 lbs.

Cilafiona 08-30-2010 05:39 AM

I've carried Charlie before. Luckily, he's young and scrawny still-- about 65 lbs. But I do know how to do the fireman's carry and have lifted my share of people during training. So I know I'll be able to lift him in case of an emergency.

One thing I haven't thought about until right now is the importance of how you'd lift your dog in certain circumstances. For instance, if he's injured, what types of lifting technique would be appropriate that would not further injure him?

Mrs.K 08-30-2010 06:40 AM

Yes, I can carry them.

I actually had it happen with Zenzy. When she got out of the surgery I had to carry her and so I did. I am strong enough to carry her, to carry my male and the little one is the least I have to worry about now.

Good_Karma 08-30-2010 07:23 AM

I almost answered yes, but in reality I don't know if I can pick up 90 lb Niko. I weigh about 110 lbs, and I know I can pick up an 80 lb bag of concrete mix, but it's a struggle. So if I am lifting ten more pounds of weight, and if he's struggling, I doubt I could do it.:(

But once I carried Rosa a quarter of a mile home when she cut her paw on ice. She enjoyed the ride.

bianca 08-30-2010 08:24 AM

Yup but she is only 50 pounds at the moment. Used to lift my Rotti/lab cross who was 40 kgs (88 pounds). I've also become quite strong from helping move my husband around (paraplegic who weighs over 100 kgs!!!!)

JakodaCD OA 08-30-2010 08:55 AM

the aussies yes, they are around 40lbs each, but carry them a distance? I don't think so.

Masi weighs in around 73#, unless my adrenaline was really pumping, I doubt I could pick her up.

With Dodge when he was here, he was around 80-85#, had mobility issues towards the end, he was a smart cookie (and Masi is learning the same thing for future reference!),,he would put his front feet up on whatever, (car, couch, bed) and wait for me to boost him up..As for picking him up? No way. Going upstairs at night, cause god forbid the dog didn't sleep with me every nite, I had a harness type device, that had handles on the front and back,,I'd take the front and hubby would take the back, we'd guide/stablize/ haul him up:)

If the dog was "down", and I had to move him, I'd most likely use some type of tarp, blanket get them on it, and drag them but actually lift them off the ground, couldn't do it:(

onyx'girl 08-30-2010 09:48 AM

I have two over 90# and one that is 80. I would not be able to carry them(especially deadweight) without struggling, and that may not be good if they were injured, I'd put them in a blanket & my adrenaline would kick in and I'd get a super rush of strength!