Could you lift your dog in an emergency? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Can you lift/carry your dog? If not, do you have a device or plan for emergencies?
Yes, I can carry my dog on my own. 94 82.46%
No, I can't lift my dog. 16 14.04%
I have a device ready to move my dog in an emergency (pet stretcher or similar) 2 1.75%
I have a plan to move my dog in an emergency without using a special device (you carry a blanket, or have another plan) 10 8.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Knighted Member

My boxer was 65lbs when she died. The day before she died I was carrying her around like a baby (had no idea she was going to die the next day I used to do it all the time for fun).
Carrying dead weight is entirely different than a live dog.
We ended up having to bundle her in a sheet and carry her that way because both of us couldn't get a hold of her without holding her by the ankles or something like a slab of meat
One day if I get into a morbid enough mood, I'm going to make a stretcher out of broomsticks and canvas in case one of the dogs get injured, so we don't have to do that again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Knighted Member

When Cheyenne died, he was over 100lbs. It was snowing, I was home alone and I let him out to get some fresh air because he was acting strange, he went under the deck thats when I realized something was really wrong. I had to get him out of there so I got a blanket, crawled under the deck, 30" high or so, manipulated him onto the blanket and dragged him out & to my truck. You would be suprised the strength you have when you need it.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 AM

Working in the clinic I have had to lift 90+ pound dogs when they come in critical. Adrenaline definetly helps. I have been thinking about this a lot lately because the weather has been hot and we have been seeing a lot of heat strokes lately. Obviously I know enough not to take my dog out when it's too warm/humid and not to push him too far but things happen... When Im out running with my son and my shepherd I wonder how I would handle the situation if he went down and my sons in a stroller...but this is why I always have my cell phone with me.

Inka Vom Kleinen Hain
Izaak GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Crowned Member

I know of people who can not lift their dog if it is down. They would have to call for help.

I don't know what kind of lift device might work?
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

I can now but probably won't be able to lift Stosh much longer, so I'm glad you asked the question. I'll be more prepared now.
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Crowned Member

I have a bad back!

Can I carry any of the Hooligans? NO!
Can I lift any of the Hooligans (as in getting them up in the van)? YES!

Have I even needed help lifting one of them? YES! 1. When Niki collapsed in the yard, one of my neighbor's had to help me lift him in the van. 2. When Ringer got stuck in a hole under the steps, my neighbor helped me flip the steps up, and while I pushed he pulled to get him out of the hole - then we both lifted him in the van. Again, when he went down the day I had him put down my neighbor helped me get him in the van.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Crowned Member

Yes, I can carry any of my guys without a problem. I've had to lift other dogs as well. We had a Greyhound rip it nails off lure coursing at our place and I bandaged it's feet and carried it to the owners car (now I check dogs nails BEFORE I let them run - the Grey's nails were waaay too long). I've also had to pick up a Rotties and put it in the kiddie pool we have to cool it down when the owner said they couldn't do it.

One thing to remember when lifting an injured or unknown dog - make sure to turn YOUR face away from the dogs face when you lift! If the dog is injured they may snap and you don't want your face right in theirs.

Lauri & The Raw Fed Gang

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Winnie CGC - Corgi Mix
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:08 PM

not sure what i'd do

It's great that someone posted this question, because i was just thinking about this. A friend of mine was out with his lab training for search and rescue and yukon was bit by a rattlesnake. He was by himself and had to carry the dog back to the car. This made me think about what i would have done, and i couldn't come up with anything. I don't think i could carry a full size GSD. Not sure what to do in that kind of a situation. A lot of the places i go running there is no cell service. Any suggestions if ever caught in this kind of a situation.
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:13 PM

Sure, no problem. Got to catch him first.
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Crowned Member

I have a difficult time lifting my Laekenois. He's about 70 pounds. But you bet! In an emergency nothing is going to stop me from lifting him.

Carry him for a mile. No, can't do that. That's why I'm very careful where we go off-leash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page