Your dog and the vet - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: How is your dog at the vet?
Great, love it 90 58.06%
Unsure, a little bit afraid 53 34.19%
Afraid and uncontrollable 6 3.87%
Agressive 6 3.87%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 10:52 PM
Elite Member

I picked unsure a bit afraid because my dogs don't love it and there was no other choice... They are neutral. Not scared, not happy, not guarded although perhaps a bit suspicious that something will be stuck up their rump, lol.. But no tucked tail or aggression. Just not tail wags and joyous barks either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Crowned Member

Mine are both a little apprehensive. They both know nothing bad happens till we are in are room and the actual vet arrives. They know who the vet is vs other people.

My girl wishes she could escape but submits to whatever. The boy is fairly stoic but will tense up and resist whatever is being done to him. He will always try to sit to keep them away from his butt.

He has grumbled displeasure but I don't think there is real intent there. Nonetheless, he is tense and has grumbled a bit so if vet or tech has to get in his face (like to draw blood), I muzzle him. He has never showed teeth or acted like he was going to really use his mouth and I honestly really don't think he would. The muzzle doesn't bother him so to me it's a no brainer....it's a totally preventable thing. I had him in this week for a tick test and he was fairly composed the whole time. not really too tense, obviously would rather not be there, but basically calm. I still muzzled him for the blood draw because two people he doesn't know were right smack in his face and he is so big and strong I have no confidence that I could restrain him enough to stop a bite if things went south.

He is sensitive about his butt, after all the anal gland stuff, but all he does is sit down quick to try to stop them getting back there and really I can't blame him.

he is a perfect gentleman for me to do stuff to at home, nothing I feel like I can't do with jim. So I feel like we are good.
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 06:21 PM
Crowned Member

I posted when this thread first appeared. Last Friday, Karlo bloated. It was in the early evening and I noticed his symptoms right away so off to the E-Vet we went.
To hand your heartdog over to someone you do not know, is very hard. The ER does not want the owner to handle their own dogs, as they have no idea if the owner is capable.

I always muzzle my dogs for procedures and they know that is a given. For the safety of the staff, I do think all dogs should be conditioned to a muzzle. For emergencies it is crucial that the dog doesn't stress if one is placed on and they've never had that experience.
They should also know that crates or kennels are ok.
The stress of an emergency situation is bad enough, but these two simple things can really calm a dog.
Karlo survived the bloat incident...he also survived a bout with Leptospirosis and spent two weeks at MSU recovering. He is a very good patient even though he hates being touched and handled by strangers.
I think vetting is stressful for many dogs, I always want to set them up for success and have the staff feel comfortable if I am not there to handle my dog.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Crowned Member

Jane, sorry about Karlo, that is awful. Glad he is going to make it.

It is great to have this conversation though because it brings up something that is very important: we are NOT familiar with the staff at the E-vet and they are NOT familiar with us. Insisting upon handling our own dogs, or slamming them with questions, etc, it is not the time or the place. We sometimes need to step back and let them do their job, so that our dog has the best chance of survival. Which it sounds like you did. So this is really in general, something we can think about before it happens, and not be upset by it when it does.

At my vet, the only one who has ever suggested a muzzle or put one on, has been me, and it has always been unnecessary. But, I would rather be safe than sorry, and it won't kill the dog to have a muzzle during something that might hurt or be very scary. This is really rare for me. But, I have put a muzzle on one or two of them for something or other over the years. They (my vet) are great about letting me be right there and answering my questions -- all but surgery.

The repro-vet that is a couple of hours away, is a 24 hour clinic, and they even let you watch surgeries, and you are there all the time with your dog, etc.

But the e-vet (which I hate to go to, and really don't trust, because you never see the same vet twice there and so forth), they are there for emergencies. I will ONLY go there if I think the longer trip might be detrimental to the chances my dog has of living. But because there is no relationship there, it's good to remember or to think about it when we are not in the middle of a crisis, that it has NOTHING to do with us. It is about the dog. It is not they they don't trust us to hold our own dog, it is that they DO trust their vet tech to hold any dog. They do not know us at all, and if we don't get stuff like that straight before walking through the door, we can impede treatment for our dog by taking things personally and being irritated.

Yes, I agree with dogs being familiar with crates, because some day they may have to be crated at a vet's office, and we really don't want them to be weirded out by the crate itself.

I used to take them in just to weigh them. I still do, but now I want to know the weights. But I really want my dogs to be "normal" at the vet's office, so that when they are hurt or ill or acting oddly, they are not masking that with overall fearful behavior. Mine really don't have a problem at the vet. I'm generally relaxed about what is going to happen, so they are too.

Case in point: my dad was raised Christian Science, in a time when you go to hospitals to die. He has a real aversion to anything to do with medicine, hospitals, doctors, dentists, etc, even though the religion has changed to one that doesn't hold the same views. When he would take Cujo to the vet, the dog would shake and be totally scared. When I would take Cujo to the vet, the dog was happy and fine and wagging his tail. I think being more familiar with the vet's office, can help ourselves as well as our dogs. Popping a mint in your mouth might help too, especially if it is a visit that is scarier for us. I think a lot of times, we get uptight worrying about how our dog is going to be, and our dog senses that uptightness, and has no idea why we are uptight, but it must be bad. Who knows what is going through their brains. Susie's scared, something bad is going to happen.

I am kind of a no-nonsense person. If I want to put a muzzle on my dog, I am just going to do it. Same with cutting toenails. Just do it, quickly, and don't put up with any baloney, and the quicker it is done the quicker the dog knows we aren't trying to kill him, and he isn't stuck in a very bad space for hours while we get through with all 18. So, I don't condition a dog to a muzzle. Most of mine never need it, and if they ever do, the reaction I always get, is that they trust me enough to let me put it on in the heat of the moment where it is required, and it is then off so quickly that it becomes no big deal. If it will help to condition them to it, then do that. But my dogs have never seen the muzzle before and may never see it again, so they don't get a chance to really object to it before it is all over.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 07-14-2017 at 07:18 PM.
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:25 PM
Crowned Member

I had to leave my girl at the vet hospital for a day and a half for her endoscopy. It was brutal for me leaving her there. We have literally been apart like 3 nights in 10 years.

The my had to give her seven enemas along with fasting....

The vet said she was the best shepherd they had ever had and she even continued to wag her tail every time he went into her kennel.

there is one 24 hr emergency clinic under an hour from me and I hate them and I think they hate me. I have had some great vets and some horrible ones and this one is horrible. I think I would drive 2 and a half hours to the big hospital before I would leave a dog of mine at that clinic. their front desk staff is incompetent and made some big mistakes that they then tried to blame on me and being I was there with a very sick dog I lost my cool and yelled at some people. not super proud about that.

My current vet I have a great relationship with and he is on call like a horse vet. if he couldn't handle what was wrong I would just drive I guess because I would never trust those other idiots with my dogs
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
I had to leave my girl at the vet hospital for a day and a half for her endoscopy. It was brutal for me leaving her there. We have literally been apart like 3 nights in 10 years.

The vet said she was the best shepherd they had ever had and she even continued to wag her tail every time he went into her kennel.

there is one 24 hr emergency clinic under an hour from me and I hate them and I think they hate me. I have had some great vets and some horrible ones and this one is horrible. I think I would drive 2 and a half hours to the big hospital before I would leave a dog of mine at that clinic. their front desk staff is incompetent and made some big mistakes that they then tried to blame on me and being I was there with a very sick dog I lost my cool and yelled at some people. not super proud about that.

My current vet I have a great relationship with and he is on call like a horse vet. if he couldn't handle what was wrong I would just drive I guess because I would never trust those other idiots with my dogs
When a dog is in distress, time may not be a luxury. Bloat is one of those times. I would not chance driving an hour away(blue pearl is the other option for me) I wanted that 20 minute drive to my closest ER(VCA) to only be 10. I am not a chain hospital fan at all..but when push comes to shove. I had to trust they would do right by my dog. FWIW, bloat is probably one of the easier things ER's have to deal with, so that did give me some comfort while waiting for a midnight call update. 24/7 and I could have stayed there.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post

It really is the same situation here, save my regular vet that is 4 miles away does not necessarily do after-hour calls. Once they came in a Sunday for me, my bitch had a c-section at a vet in PA that they sent me to, and the next day she started hemorrhaging. But usually their answering service will refer you to the clinic about an hour away, that is an ER, and everyone (including me) has a negative story about them. But, if your dog's intestine is twisted and minutes are going by where the organ is not getting blood to it, what will an extra hour and half do to your dog's chances of surviving?

When Karma maybe ate the rat poison, I scooped up what was scattered and the carton, and her and picked my dad up en route to the farther clinic. Dad drove. I called them to let them know what I was bringing in. They told me what they were going to do, check the blood, etc. They suggested I go to the nearer place. Finally, I agreed and as it was in the same direction, I went there, calling them to let them know what I was bringing in.

They did nothing the other vet said they would do. In fact, they just weighed the amount of poison that was left and said the missing portion was possibly a toxic dose. Then they gave me vitamin k pills and said she would have been fine if I waited and took her to my vet on Monday. They gave me only enough vitamin k to get me to my own vet, so I could pay their excruciating ER walk through the door fee, and my own vet's fee. Whatever. My dogs are worth it. And she lived. Maybe she just spread the stuff around and didn't eat it. So maybe she would have lived anyway. The worst thing was, though there was only one other patient there, my dad and I waited an hour and a half before the dog was seen by a vet, or anyone other than weighing her. Maybe the vet on duty was performing bloat surgery or something. But we could have made it to the other vet clinic in that time, and they would have had a vet there for her.

I haven't been back there, since. But if I assess the dog and feel that 2.5 hours is too long, I will probably take the dog there. I will call again. Maybe if the complaint was different (bloat) they would have come out right away and did enough to stabilize her, or tell me where to take her over the phone if their vet was stuck in emergency surgery and to go to the next place.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:21 PM
Crowned Member

My closest ER is about an hour drive. 50 minutes. My vet lives down the street from me. They have an answering service. Only the one vet does surgeries so if she is out of town, the dog would be screwed anyway, but maybe if you tell the answering service that you think the dog is bloating and the ER is an hour away, they would put through a call to the vet. From home they could get to the clinic in time, and maybe put in a call for someone to assist. I've assisted on x-rays when it was just me and the vet once, but I don't know if I could be good help in surgery.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:47 PM
Crowned Member

My own vet is about a block away...but she said that she would send me to an ER even during working hours, as they are so versed in this and it would throw her appointments into a spin of delays. She use to have an emergency service, but now refers out. The reason I was initially with this vet was due to the proximity, and she lives on the property of the clinic.
I completely understand the reason she now no longer does emergency vetting.

I did a follow-up with my vet on Monday to make sure the ER protocols were on board with what my vet would do. She gave me 20 minutes (free) for a consult. I have to bring her in some blueberry cheesecake or something now for that, lol.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-14-2017 at 09:49 PM.
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
My own vet is about a block away...but she said that she would send me to an ER even during working hours, as they are so versed in this and it would throw her appointments into a spin of delays. She use to have an emergency service, but now refers out. The reason I was initially with this vet was due to the proximity, and she lives on the property of the clinic.
I completely understand the reason she now no longer does emergency vetting.

I did a follow-up with my vet on Monday to make sure the ER protocols were on board with what my vet would do. She gave me 20 minutes (free) for a consult. I have to bring her in some blueberry cheesecake or something now for that, lol.
I rushed Odie to the vet after I got her, because I thought she was bloating. She was pregnant, because I bought her bred, they waited to confirm pregnancy with ultra-sound and then all the blizzards were making it impossible to fly her in. We got her after Christmas, and on New Year's eve, I rushed her in because she was acting like she was bloating. They did tell me that with her as full as she was with puppy, she could not possibly bloat -- just a lot of gas, probably from the flight and change of food. 2-3 days later she had the pups. But yes, I rushed her 2.5 hours and was praying that if she was bloating, I wasn't doing the wrong thing by going to the farther place.

My vet that is 4 miles away is really good, and I do understand why they want emergencies to go to the ER, at least in off hours. I just wish the ER was better -- their attitude. I wish there was more continuity with the vet there, but that just may be the nature of the beast. You don't go there every month or even every year, and vets probably use that kind of a job as a stepping stone.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page