Do You Brush Your Dog's Teeth? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do You Brush Your Dog's Teeth?
Yes 33 38.37%
No 53 61.63%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Talking Do You Brush Your Dog's Teeth?

I declared today bath day for my dogs, and every time they get a bath I brush their teeth. While I was brushing Koda's teeth I was noticing how adorable he was, and what a goof he looked like with a tooth brush in his mouth, and began to wonder if I was part of a minority in brushing my dog's teeth. I use "Poultry" flavored toothpaste, they love it. Do you guys brush your dog's teeth?

Koda - Sable GSD
Riley - Sheltie Mix

"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring A Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."

FB: Melina D Photography

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Crowned Member

No

I give fresh knuckle bones and have never needed to brush his teeth. He has pearly whites and no bad breath

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Knighted Member

I hope I never have to brush Jake's teeth...lots of fresh bones!

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

They get plenty of bones and rope toys, but I still brush their teeth. I don't have any opinion one way or the other on people that do or don't, I've just decided to do that for them since they're fairly tolerant of it. Koda, despite the fact that the Vet put him at about two years of age (I don't know for sure how old he is, I believe it though, he looks/acts that age), came to me with mild/moderate plaque on his teeth. Riley also has her share at about 3 years old, but she also came to me that way. I figure the brushing can only be beneficial on top of the normal bone chewing and playing with rope toys. Besides, they look so darn silly and cute with tooth brushes in their mouths, haha!

Koda - Sable GSD
Riley - Sheltie Mix

"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring A Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Crowned Member

Doing both can only help. If I felt I needed to bush I would but so far no need. I do check his gums and teeth on a regular basis.

I know many dogs that look to have periodontal disease because the owners did not do anything (dogs they've had since puppies not rescues or anything)

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 PM

Brush a few times a month and plenty of fresh knuckles.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:09 AM

I dont brush their teeth. Both are one a raw diet and get plenty of bones. One has flawless teeth and my younger one has yellowish theeth with some tartar. I really want to brush them, but he doesnt stay still enough to give me a chance. any suggestions? He gets irritated by it (not mean, but runs off then plays you cant catch me, usually great with recall but not in this situation...smarty pants....)
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Staub, I brush their teeth when I have them in the tub for a bath, they know better than to play games and try to jump out/run when in there. They're in the tub and it's business time! I think what makes it more bearable for them is the fact that I use "Poultry" flavored toothpaste. You can get it at any Pet Store, I'm sure, I got mine at Petco. I've tried a tiny bit of regular toothpaste in the past and they hate it. Head turning, shaking, sneezing, licking...It's no good. With the "Poultry" flavor they just keep trying to lick away at the toothbrush while I scrub their Canines (har har).

Koda - Sable GSD
Riley - Sheltie Mix

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 03:09 AM
Crowned Member

Lucy gets plenty of bones and has great white teeth, but I'm an advocate for brushing teeth. It massages the gums which is probably good (just assuming because it's good for humans) and she loves when i do it, so i see no harm in it.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 04:04 AM
Knighted Member

Molly has regular bones and her teeth so far are beautiful...I'm jealous! I have been meaning to start trying to brush them but to be honest between having to put eye medicines in and ear cleaning, I don't want to traumatize her any more.

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page