Why Schutzhund? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Why Schutzhund?

Why do we have to put the dogs through that?

The guy I was working with yesterday didn't listen to what I had to say, he simply did it "his way" and it didn't work well for my male.

So why Schutzhund? Only because somebody said that it is what Shepherds are made for? Why do we have to put them through Schutzdienst to get them evaluated and titled. Isn't there a different way?

With the wrong people it's so easy to mess up a dog, doesn't matter how much drive and hardness they have, you can mess up any dog, one way or another so WHY do we put them through that?

Why do you do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 05:29 AM
Master Member

I will not do Schutzhund with Ava at all. To me...it looks so violant and I dont want anyone flicking a whip or a beat stick at my dog.

Maybe that's what GSD's are "made for" or whatever...but not this girl's GSD!!! I plan on doing agility with Ava and therapy if she'll be good with it.

I don't have a problem with anyone else that does Schutzhund with their dogs. If that's what people choose for their dogs then that's fine. I just personally don't want that for mine.

~ Leigh ~
Volunteer Coordinator
Southeast German Shepherd Rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ava LaRue GSD 3/2/10
Chewy Shih Tzu 1/9/04
Toby Shih Tzu 12/26/07
Abby 18 yr old Lab R.I.P.

Last edited by AvaLaRue; 07-12-2010 at 05:39 AM.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Knighted Member

Same here, I think to each his own. I would like to do some tracking, of course obedience, and a little agility with Jake. Maybe if I had a puppy who had the drive for it I would consider it, but unless the dog is going to use the skills I don't see why. I do find it interesting to read about and learn the many uses it has with police, military etc.

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:12 AM

I don't have the dedication it takes for schutzhund

I also don't think schutzhund is the be all-end all to prove a dog is breed worthy and/or a fine example of the breed.

I admire schutzhund and enjoy watching it, just don't have the dedication for it.

My preferences are tracking, obedience, herding, ..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Knighted Member

There's always herding for breed evaluation ... as well as host of other activities we can do with our dogs - for fun, for a challenge and for general confidence building. If a dog is not suitable for SchH for whatever reason, then I would definitely try something else. A GSD's quality of life would not suffer or be any less just because he/she does not get to train in schutzhund.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I'd love to try herding. I think they'd do actually well at herding. My helper had sheeps himself and Yukon and Indra were highly interested in the sheeps. One day we did some bitework and Yukon was more interested in the sheeps than in the bitework itself.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 AM

I train in Schutzhund because I love the bond it has nutured for me and my dogs. Both dogs I have worked in the sport have enjoyed the training. I did have an experience with someone during a bite work training session. This person was a judge scheduled to work a trial happening the next day. He came onto the field while I was working with my male and helper and I had to stand up for my dog and tell him thank you for his "help" but I was not going to allow that to continue. I feel I am my dog's protector and it is my responsibility to determine what is in their best interest.

Schutzhund works for me and my dog but it definitely not for all people or all shepherds.

Nora

Cain von Hena-C, VPG A, TT 10/19/2003 - 12/17/2009
Gone but not forgotten.

Dazzle von Linienbach, 02/07/2009
Learning the ropes.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Crowned Member

I love doing it, my dog loves doing it, and I like being with the people in my club (I'd go out even if my dog was sick or injured, it's not *just* about me and my dog).

I don't breed so I don't have to worry about "breed worthiness" or feeling obligated to do something. If something makes me or my dog uncomfortable we would not be doing it, period. I guess we are lucky in that each week I see progress and the dog's desire to be there and to work. I don't think it should be all that difficult or complicated when the dog is "there" mentally and physically.

We also do rally obedience, dock diving, lure coursing, conformation, and agility.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Crowned Member

We participate in the sport..primarily because my husband is an excellent helper, and LOVES the sport.
It's great bonding time for ours dogs with us....
I don't think all GSD dogs have the "desire" for the sport, and should not be "made" to participate.
There are many other activities owners can do with their dogs....finding the one that BOTH handler and dog enjoys...should be the one pursued.
Schutzhund is not the "be all" for this breed, however...to some of us...it IS part of our criteria...and we enjoy doing it.
The most important thing is...have fun with your dogs.
JMO

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Crowned Member

I don't do schutzhund any longer and I don't think you have to do it really. I think its a choice. I did it for 3 years well actually more My female really loved it. It does create a bond between the handler and the dog that I think I wouldn't have had if I didn't do schutzhund. And I learned how to train with a ball and just had a lot of fun with it. I really enjoyed it. I bought my female with every intention of doing schutzhund and probably for over 2 years drove 2 hours to get there. I am really proud of Rorie because when she was just a young dog herself she trained a new helper. No one ever messed her up she does work different for different people. And also I have just come to the conclusion that even though I was not in the sport for 300 years it is my dog and I know her. And 2 clubs later actually 3 because I quit 1 twice I have come to the conclusion that I am just not a club person. I have tried to find a private trainer but wasn't able to find one. So now we do something different and we enjoy it. I really don't have the time and energy to devote to schutzhund anymore either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page