Obedience Competitors Poll - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Obedience Competitors Poll

A dual question poll for obedience, rally, and agility competitors please:

a) How far would you drive to attend a trial?

b) Would you enter a trial during the summer where the rings are either outdoors or in an un-airconditioned building (like a barn)?

Comments welcome!!

-LeeAnn
There are two kinds of dogs: Dogs who are German Shepherds, and dogs who WISH they were German Shepherds....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Echo of Someday Vom Royale, CD, RA, CGC, TDI
Laughin' Tori Lori, CD, RN, CGC
Marcella's Miss Ruby Dee, RN, CGC, TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

A) Furthest I've driven for obedience/rally was 1.5 hrs each way. Probably wouldn't be willing to do more than 2 hrs each way for those, though have done a whole lot farther than that for SchH.

B) Yes, I have done and would again do summer trials. At least outdoors. I'd be more hesitant to do it indoors in a non-cooled building than outdoors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

a) I've driven 3.5 hours one way for a rally trial, 4 hours one way for the BH.

b) Yes, I have and would again. We did our BH and it was 90s and humid. I'm entering Nikon in an agility trial in two weeks. I've done other obedience, agility, and rally trials with my other dog during the summer, indoor and out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Crowned Member

The farthest I have ever gone for an obedience trial was 12 hours. That was before the economy tanked. I currently won't go more than 2 hours now for obedience or agility.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I wouldn't go more than 2 hours.

I might trial in OB outside during the summer months. I would not trial in a building w/o AC.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Crowned Member

a) How far would you drive to attend a trial?
@3 hours (unless it's something special)

b) Would you enter a trial during the summer where the rings are either outdoors or in an un-airconditioned building (like a barn)?
Probably not, in this area. Would depend on the facilities and how many trees are around.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Elite Member

We live in the western half of the U.S. where shows are few and far between. We regularly drive 210 miles to the Utah shows (about 3 hours each way). We also travel to Boise a few times a year. That's about a 4 hour drive each way, but the October shows are a blast and are definitely worth the drive.

Our longest trip was to Carson City with 10 hours each way of dry, desolate northern Nevada scenery . . . . I don't ever want to do that again.

I would be reticent to trial at an indoor facility without good ventilation. We do frequently trial outdoors in both agility and obedience. We're planning to do so in August, September, and October. We're just careful to bring along our own shade and plenty of water.

PAM Guardyan's Gavin, VCD2, CDX, RE, AX, AXJ, AXP, AJP, TD
PACH Guardyan's Helki, CDX, PCDX, RA, MXP3, MXPB, MJP3, MJPB, CGCA
Guardyan's Kamikaze BN, CDX, RE, OAP, OJP
Guardyan's Kricket BN, CD, RN, NAP, OJP
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Crowned Member

I have driven 3 hours to go to 5 day shows. I wouldn't drive that far for a 2 or 3 day. If the show is more than an hour from home I would go the night before and stay in a hotel close to the show so I didn't have to worry about getting up early the next morning or worry about traffic.

I did ONE outdoor show in the late summer a few years ago - NEVER AGAIN! It was 98 degree's with high humidity and the sun shining directly down on us. It was incredibly miserable for me, the dogs and I am certain for the poor judges. I was drenched in sweat and my (black) dog was panting to the point I was a little worried about him overheating. It was the only show I have ever had where one of my dogs failed..... he just gave up and laid down on the long sit, I felt so bad for him that I asked the judge to be excused so that he didn't have to lay there for 5 more minutes in the long down. I didn't stay for the second day, I packed up and went home.

** wanted to add: one of my favorite show locations is in a huge horse arena which is held in the early summertime... it has overhead fans going and stays surprisingly cool. Favorite part though is that some of the (otherwise) most competitive dogs, the BC's and Goldens, sometimes have a hard time with all the horse sounds and smells which helps me out.... LOL

TAMMY

Last edited by Branca's Mom; 07-08-2010 at 02:58 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 03:45 PM

the furthest I've gone is 3 hours, most of the trials I entered when I started agility were either outdoors OR inside un ac'd barns..

And yep we did em, hotter than hades, they don't cancel anything because of weather unless it's a hurricane or tornado..

Would I do it now? heck no, I"m older and there are to many nice inside AC places that hold trials in the summer..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:31 PM

I have driven three hours. As far as outside or inside a building with no A/C, I have to say it would depend on the facility. I have been in horse facilities that stay very cool, even in the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page