How many are expecting 4th of July issues? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

How many are expecting 4th of July issues?

My last boy, a huge Rhodesian Ridgeback was petrified of fireworks, gun shots and thunder. Otherwise, he was very brave and cool. Storms, July 4th and New Years were always dreaded. My 4 month old GSD pup Max isn't phased at all. He didn't flinch from some gun shots about 40-50 feet away and thunder puts him to sleep. I think he'll be ok with hearing and seeing fireworks... we'll see.

Do you expect issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Crowned Member

None here... lucy can care less about fireworks. We just had a big show about a mile from the house and she slept right through it. This one can care less about loud noises.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
None here... lucy can care less about fireworks. We just had a big show about a mile from the house and she slept right through it. This one can care less about loud noises.
That's really good. I can say from experience, it sucks when your regal beast is shaking and freaking out over a some distant pops. I'm sooo relieved that Max is cool with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 PM

I was worried about Zoey's first 4th, but today we were walking by the middle school near our house and some kids lit off something big about 50 feet in front of us around a corner. Scared the **** out of me but Zoey diddn't miss a beat!

Zoey vom Banach 2/2010
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
That's really good. I can say from experience, it sucks when your regal beast is shaking and freaking out over a some distant pops. I'm sooo relieved that Max is cool with that.
Oh i've had dogs that hide in the bathroom behind the toilet the second it starts raining. It was even worse when it was a thunderstorm or on the 4th of july. It really depends on the dog.

I think Lucy learned at a young age not to be afraid of loud noises. When she was a puppy, they were building an elementary school right near my house. I'm talking drillin, huge cranes, the whole 9 yards as far as construction goes. I'd bring her up there all the time because it was a big open field next to where they were building and nothing to worry about in terms of traffic since it was away from any major roads. The loud construction noises (and i'm talking real loud) never phased her one bit.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Elite Member

Sigurd is pretty good with gun shots, loud noises and last year didn't care about the fire works. He was out at 11 and people were putting off fireworks and playing music, he was howling... very loud. Maybe he was trying to get into the festivities? lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Crowned Member

I was worried about Sage at first since fireworks are illegal here and he's never heard them before. A few days ago neighbors started lighting them off. He barked a lot at first then listened to me and stopped barking at every pop. Last night at the first big pop he looked at me and I ignored it so he went back to playing while fireworks were going off.

On the 4th he will be with me watching them from a mile away at the beach, my house is pretty close to a park where there will be a small show (not the city show) and I don't want him left a lone just incase.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 06:27 AM

I am worried about Riley he is so sensitive so we will see, we aer going to stay home and prob wait to see how he reacts before going out and leaving him alone to do fireworks, but this year we will be doing them at home so he wont be left while we are at the firework show.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Elite Member

Murphy, who is 12 wks whimpered a little the other night when someone was setting a few ones off. Not really sure what to expect

Zeva Female GSD 10/02/2009

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Master Member

DJ's a big wuss when it comes to fireworks, always has been. He can't and won't tolerate fireworks ... So I keep him in the house, turn up the stereo and step outside to watch the sky light up !!!

Happy Independence Day everyone !

I so hope there is a Doggie Heaven !!!

Princess - mini GSD
Jason - GSD/mix
Sheba - GSD/mix
Charlie - GSD/Dane
Max - GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page