If you had to choose between your dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

If you had to choose between your dogs

Lets say you had to pick one of your dogs and let go off all the others. (Let's not talk about the reason)

Which dog would you keep.

Even though Indra has more potential, if I had to pick one over the other two, it would always be Yukon. It'd be a no-brainer (learned that word today ). We have went through way too much as I could ever let go off him. He is that once in a life time dog and that bond between Yukon and me is stronger than the Indras and Zenzys bond together.

So which dog would stay and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Crowned Member

I can't answer this, I wouldn't want to give up any of them.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I can't answer this, I wouldn't want to give up any of them.
Me neither. But being in the situation where I might have to give up one of them made me think of what I would do if I was in a situation where I would have to pick and it's out of question. If I had to give up two to keep one... Yukon was the one to stay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 PM

On bad days, sometimes I think life was easier when we only had 2 dogs.

But Argos is my heart dog. Not going anywhere.

Anka is Daddy's Princess. I'd probably have to leave before her.

Ike is an old guy. He stays with us to enjoy his retirement and to come out and train new helpers.

Cade is so much fun to work and such a clown. Such an easy happy dog...Going no where.

Tag is new. Shows a lot of promise, but I suppose he would be the one to go if someone had to go...Although I have yet to get to a point where that was a serious consideration.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Banned

sorry you might have to say goodbye to
one of your dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Me neither. But being in the situation where I might have to give up one of them made me think of what I would do if I was in a situation where I would have to pick and it's out of question. If I had to give up two to keep one... Yukon was the one to stay.
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 PM

We just had to make a decision to let go of one of our dogs. Someone broke into our backyard, and left the gate open letting two labs out. 1 "Jerry Lee" which was a fathers day present to my father-in-law who is currently 2yrs old and the other "Kolbalt" which my fiancee was given by someone whose dog had pups unexpectedly and was 1 years old. We went to the Animal Shelter to look for them but was unable to locate them. We decided to wait until the Animal Shelter called us since Jerry Lee was micro chiped.

After a while I started looking at German Shepards online, since we currently own one "Si Su" (6yrs old), who is an amazing dog. I found a 8week Purbred for sale from a private breeder for $300 of which I purchased (my personal first dog) and named her Ayriel. The next day the Animal Shelter called and stated that they had our dog Jerry Lee. Well the new law is that we are not allowed to have more than 3 dogs all of which must be spade or neutered. We all agreed that Si su wasn't going anywhere and I had already fell in love with my new puppy Ayriel so we had to choose between Jerry Lee and Kolbalt. Animals are usually kept at the shelter for 3 days and then put up for adoption.
Since Jerry Lee was a fathers day gift we decided to keep him hoping a nice caring and loving family would adopt Kolbalt. After recieving ****citations for "dog at large" we get a call 3 days later stating that they killed Kolbalt because of being over booked with stray dogs. I thought they only killed them if they were vicious dogs and he was clearly a very friendly dog even to strangers. Now I feel like ****.

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 06-30-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: *** language
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
we get a call 3 days later stating that they killed Kolbalt because of being over booked with stray dogs.
They didn't even call you to ask if you would come by to pick him up or they'd kill them?
Quote:
Well the new law is that we are not allowed to have more than 3 dogs all of which must be spade or neutered.
What? Really? Where?
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:33 AM

Regardless of anything else....

My first obligation is to my first dog, now a 10+ year old Husky that I have had for 8 years.

If my foster hadn't bonded with him, he would have been a true foster.

But if I ever HAD to make a choice, my Lads is my boy, my first, my first obligation. Plus, I have a wonderful home just waiting for Shadow if I ever need a home for him. What a tough poll. My heart goes out to you if this is the position you are in now.

Best,
Yvonne

Happily owned by:
Lads (Alladin's Folly) Red Husky (rescue)
Chester the cat (humane society)
Mags (Teeny Tortie Siamese runt, too "old" to be sold at 12 weeks)
Mocha (Chocolate Siamese) At the Rainbow Bridge, I'll always miss you.
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayriel View Post
We just had to make a decision to let go of one of our dogs. Someone broke into our backyard, and left the gate open letting two labs out. 1 "Jerry Lee" which was a fathers day present to my father-in-law who is currently 2yrs old and the other "Kolbalt" which my fiancee was given by someone whose dog had pups unexpectedly and was 1 years old. We went to the Animal Shelter to look for them but was unable to locate them. We decided to wait until the Animal Shelter called us since Jerry Lee was micro chiped.

After a while I started looking at German Shepards online, since we currently own one "Si Su" (6yrs old), who is an amazing dog. I found a 8week Purbred for sale from a private breeder for $300 of which I purchased (my personal first dog) and named her Ayriel. The next day the Animal Shelter called and stated that they had our dog Jerry Lee. Well the new law is that we are not allowed to have more than 3 dogs all of which must be spade or neutered. We all agreed that Si su wasn't going anywhere and I had already fell in love with my new puppy Ayriel so we had to choose between Jerry Lee and Kolbalt. Animals are usually kept at the shelter for 3 days and then put up for adoption.
Since Jerry Lee was a fathers day gift we decided to keep him hoping a nice caring and loving family would adopt Kolbalt. After recieving citations for "dog at large" we get a call 3 days later stating that they killed Kolbalt because of being over booked with stray dogs. I thought they only killed them if they were vicious dogs and he was clearly a very friendly dog even to strangers. Now I feel like ****.
Most animal shelters (especially animal control) kill for space quite frequently. I work at the only animal shelter in my area that doesn't do that. They never call you to discuss any dog you surrendered or wouldn't take back either, and in my industry, from our point of view, you didn't care about the dog anyway and we wouldn't have called you if we wanted to. You didn't take your dog back the first time, so you probably don't want him back now because you don't care.

Sounds pretty crappy to me. I would feel like **** too, honestly. You're going to let a dog die or just give him up that you've had for years for a new puppy?

Btw, the name Sisu, where'd you get it? My friend has a GSD named Sisu too, and I thought it was a very uncommon name, so it's strange hearing of another.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm

Last edited by JeanKBBMMMAAN; 06-30-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: language
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:28 AM

"Most animal shelters (especially animal control) kill for space quite frequently. I work at the only animal shelter in my area that doesn't do that. They never call you to discuss any dog you surrendered or wouldn't take back either, and in my industry, from our point of view, you didn't care about the dog anyway and we wouldn't have called you if we wanted to. You didn't take your dog back the first time, so you probably don't want him back now because you don't care."

I can understand where they would think we wouldn't care about Kolbalt just based on what they knew from meeting us for a whole 10mins but they obviously knew nothing. There is actually more to the story that I posted. One being the fact that they wouldn't release him to us without "proof" that he was ours since he didn't have a chip or tags at the time he left. We were planning to get him chipped when we took him in to get his 1yr rabbies shot and to get neutered a week before his disappearance. We take full responsibility for the no tags. "Shame on us" Secondly we were more or less trying to be equal and fair. Sisu and Kolbalt both belonged to my Fiancee, Jerry Lee belongs to his father and Ayriel was mine. So we made it so everyone had there own dog and hoped a nice loving family would adopt Kolbalt. Maybe u can say I was being selfish, since they did say that if we brought in pictures of my Fiancee and Kolbalt together they may be able to use that as proof, but I didn't want to give up Ayriel. I make it sound easy, but it wasn't an easy choice. Its like giving up one of your kids for adoption.

"Btw, the name Sisu, where'd you get it? My friend has a GSD named Sisu too, and I thought it was a very uncommon name, so it's strange hearing of another. "

We got Sisu from another dog owner that couldn't take care of her anymore and she was named that already. Very good dog, listens very well, and is already protective of the 8week old GSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page