Breeder May Have Gotten My Puppy's Color Wrong? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: What color does she look?
Sable 4 21.05%
Black and Silver 1 5.26%
Black and Cream 7 36.84%
Black and Tan 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question Breeder May Have Gotten My Puppy's Color Wrong?

Soo everbody knows a couple days ago I got Dakoda, my baby girl gsd. Her breeder said that she was sable, just like her brother. But looking at her now I think he may have been wrong. I think she looks like a black and silver more than sable. What do you guys think? I just don't want to be calling her the wrong color lol!

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Crowned Member

Dokoda looks like an adorable black and tan, not a sable.
Do you have any pics of her littermates, or brother?
Sable pups have a stripe down the back, a black tailspot. There are differences in their darkness according to their lines.

Then they darken at coat change, about 4 mos.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 06-27-2010 at 05:20 PM.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Crowned Member

Not sure the difference between black and cream and black and silver, but i voted black and cream because that's what she is. Black and tan is a possibility. Definitely not a sable.

I'd take out the black and silver option since it's pretty much the same as black and cream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I think black and silver is a bit more greyish tint to it than cream, or that's what it looks like to me. I do have a pic of her brother below, I know he was sable. But the breeder said she was too and she just doesn't look it to me lol. Her other littermates were all pure white.

Kymmey
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

Her brother is definitely a sable. I'm 99.9% sure she's not. I can't say 100% because anything is possible, but i think it's pretty safe to say she's a black/tan or black/cream.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I agree with you on that. The reason I put black & silver is because she has some grey/silver coloring where her tan is, too. And lots of silver speckling on the black fur around her stomach, neck, legs and face.

Kymmey
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Crowned Member

Are you taking the pictures with a cell phone? The pictures arent the best quality with the best lighting. Maybe you can provide some better quality pictures? From the ones you provided, i'm not seeing sable.

Look at the pictures onyx girl posted. That's what a silver sable puppy loves like. Your pup has the typical black coat with the cream paws. Typical for a black/tan or black/cream.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Crowned Member

What is the sire & dams coloring? Do you have their pedigrees/ was this just a BYB type breeding?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ya I only have my cell phone camera sorry!! I would say backyard breeder type, she'd never been inside before I got her. Dad is 110 lb black and tan, mom is 90 lb pure white. Dad's mom is pure black, dad is sable. Mom's dam is pure white and her dad was black. The guy had 3 generations back at his home from both sides. Most of them were pure black or white, the dad was the only black and tan and his sire was the only adult sable. I'll try to get some better pics as soon as I get a camera lol. I don't think she's sable. At all! She's just a bit light to be black and TAN and the grey on her markings and face are throwing me off a bit. Lol, that's where I got silver from. I was also looking at this website http://www.kerstoneshepherds.net/colors/colors.htm to figure out her color.

Kymmey
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Crowned Member

So which dog is the one in the background that looks to be nursing pups? I thought that was the mother of the sable and your pup? Did the breeder have more than one litter on the ground?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 06-27-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page