Female vs Male - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Female vs Male

We were informed last night that male GSD are more "people" protective
vs
Female GSD are more "property" protective.

She stated that's why police dogs are male.
I thought it was because of a bitch goes into heat & who wants to mess w/ that every 6 mo.

I was taught females are more protective due to the maternal instincts.

But we usually had males because the folks didn't want to mess w/ heat-puppies. (In their day they didn't spay dogs)

We're new the the GS breed. So, what's you opinion?

Onna's Mom & offical ball thrower.
It is the honor & duty of the strong to protect the weak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Crowned Member

I'm interested in hearing from the more educated people about this as well. I plan on a male next time because I already have 2 females and am concerned about adding another.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 08:46 PM

I don't think it's gender. I think it's how their personality are. Although i wouldn't know because i've never had a male GSD .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

I believe it is the dogs temperament that determines it, not so much the sex of the dog. I have two females who are both "on" and although very loving to the family they are not like my male who doesn't react to visitors and is extremely cuddly.
He would rather assess the situation before reacting(granted he hasn't hit maturity yet) where both females have always acted first, think later.
Could be the genetics or the sex, I tend to think it is the genetics. With stating that, I do believe females are more proactive for the reason you posted above, the "momma bear" instilled in them.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

I've never had a female, so I wouldn't really know, but I do know that my male is very people protective, and has been since 4 months. Any wrestling, yelling, running around and he gets on edge and starts whining, barking, and jumping on whomever is doing said things.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiebear View Post
I don't think it's gender. I think it's how their personality are. Although i wouldn't know because i've never had a male GSD .
Gender is not an absolute indicator. just more likely that male and female will be likely to get along. Not that 2 males or two females won't get along just that they are more likely to squabble. I had 2 females for about three years together with the older one abou 3 years older than the puppy. they got along great as the older one was a dominant one and the younger one was pretty agreeable . they only had one fight in the time together and that was my fault for trying to do "fetch" with a real bone. The young one got it first and the older one didn't think that was right so jumped on the younger one and off they went.

I was much younger, stronger and stupider then and just waded in and grabbed both by the scruff of the neck and yelled and shook - stopped the fight! only time they argued.

Anyway, 2 of either sex CAN get along but with my druthers I would have one of each (BUT only if they were nuetered.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Crowned Member

I'll tell you my male cavalier king charles spaniel is by far more protective of anything than my female german shepherd. Good thing because there's nothing more intimidating than a cavalier king charles spaniel.

The only thing my gsd is protective of is the pillows in the house when i'm chasing after her trying to get them back, but thats not really protection.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITTIEG View Post
We were informed last night that male GSD are more "people" protective
vs
Female GSD are more "property" protective.
I've heard/read/experienced the opposite. Males tend to be more location protective...marking, barking, etc. Females are more pack protective. Don't mess with their people. Males are goofier.

Quote:
She stated that's why police dogs are male.
From what I've heard from the police offices I know, males are more intimidating with their barking and usually have better "bite." But I've had more than one Shutzshund person tell me that they recommend males for the beginners because females are more serious and less forgiving of mistakes. They don't have as strong of a grip as males, but they are more serious and easier to focus. Males cafn also be slower to mature.

Now, there are exceptions to every rule, but that's what I've been told. I've always had females. It wasn't until seven years ago that I got my first male. My dad actually asked me why the heck I would want a male...they mark, they roam, harder to train, etc.

I ended up LOVING the males. My boys are mama's boys. They love me in a way my females never did. I realize every dog is an individual but my males don't mark, roam, they are easy to train and they love me. But they are VERY location protective and my females weren't as much.

But despite all that, I'd go for temperment. I personally want a ball motivated dog who is people focused. Most breeders can help you select the puppy that would be best suited to your needs.

Last edited by IllinoisNative; 04-29-2010 at 10:33 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Elite Member

I have found both genders equaly protetive in all breeds that I've had. But have always prefered males for the other reasons. The heats acedental pups. I think males are easier to deal with. And cheaper to have altered as well. But if you wanna see a momma bear try and take my girl from me. I jus got to watch her close cuz I do not want any German Shar Peis or German Pits. Who would want a opps litter like that lol ugly pups.

~Christen
REBEL~PIT BULL
BATISTA~SHAR PEI
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:15 PM
EJQ
Knighted Member

Well, this question comes and goes and then it goes and comes. It is a very good question when considering bringing a dog to your home.

For what it is worth here is my opinion.
  • I think just the opposite - IMO the males are protective of their territory where as the females are very protective of their pack members. That's not to say that a lot can depend upon the individual temperament.
  • I have had several K-9 police officer friends over the years and most of them preferred males because the difference in size.
  • I also have many friends that are involved in Schutzhund. By FAR the most aggressive bite work that I personally have ever seen is by a female that is owned by my friends Karen & Charlie.
  • As far as multiple dogs are concerned, we have always had at least two intact females. At present we have grandma B'EL, mama ARA, and granddaughter/daughter BB. They are like maniacs at play time but they get along quite well. This is where individual temperaments can come into play.
Hope this helps - stick around - there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on the board and as you might guess we are always ready talk about our experiences.

ARABELLE vom Garringer CGC, TDI

BRYNNA vom Garringer AKC STAR PUPPY, CGC, TDI (crossed over February 15, 2018)
AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in