Nail trimming time - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Are your dog(s) okay with getting their nails done?
They're fine with it 45 30.82%
They HATE it 48 32.88%
Neutral 16 10.96%
Moves some but is ok 47 32.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Nail trimming time

Do your dogs care whether or not they get their nails trimmed or are they screaming their heads off to get you to stop?

Cody- When I got him back in 03', I was really into the whole showing thing so I did his nails like it was religion. Clipped them all the time and kept on them, clipping them almost every other day to keep them super short. Now at 6 1/2 years he pretty much hands me his paws to clip his nails since he's so use to it, thanks to me liking showmanship back then. He also lays on his side on the grooming table so I can clip them neater and trim his hair under his paws. He's very calm.

Isa- When I got her in 05' I wasn't into the whole show thing, more into schH, so I didn't clip her nails as much as I should have. Actually it was like once a week or two.... Today she HATES her nails or even her feet being touched, thinks the workd is ending. I have to wrestle with her to make her stop and even then she yodels and SCREAMS. Though I know it's for show. She's never bitten me but she's made one attempt to as she thought that might scare me which it didn't so she hasn't done it since. Sometimes I have to have another person hold her....

Akbar- He's ok with it. He just sits on the table and sometimes he moves but it's nothing too drastic. I've been doing his nails a few times a week, though my dremmel fell into water so now I have to buy another one.... But he's fine with his nails being trimmed.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Banned

Mine (2 yo male GSD) lets me use a dremel like tool as long as he is chewing something and he pretty much ignores it as long as he is not trying to use the paw i am working on to hold his chew strip.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Crowned Member

Chrono haaattess it. It's a two person job. I get someone to hold a treat up while I clip his nails while he is sitting. He still moves and whines and yelps even though I haven't hit the nerve in his nail at all. He doesn't care when you play with his nails, he just hates the pinch of a nail clipper. I even went out and bought a dremel and the vibration on his nail was even worse for him. I'd like to just take him to groomer and let them handle it but that might be mean heh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Elite Member

I tried to tonight since he ripped my neck to shreds playing ball. (Crazy ball drive I've just discovered). Unless I wanted my hands chomped on by razor sharp puppy teeth, it wasn't happening this time. But he lets his vet do it in 30 seconds.

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoransbear View Post
Chrono haaattess it. It's a two person job. I get someone to hold a treat up while I clip his nails while he is sitting. He still moves and whines and yelps even though I haven't hit the nerve in his nail at all. He doesn't care when you play with his nails, he just hates the pinch of a nail clipper. I even went out and bought a dremel and the vibration on his nail was even worse for him. I'd like to just take him to groomer and let them handle it but that might be mean heh.
Just a hint that I found out the slow way - If you hold the nail very firm than the vibrations are MUCH less! Helped a lot with our pup! And don't try to file for more than a few (3-5) seconds at a time was also good advice i got.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Crowned Member

Bianca doesn't like it but she tolerates it. She usually pulls away several times when I start clipping it but she settles down after that. She lets me dremel them too.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Just a hint that I found out the slow way - If you hold the nail very firm than the vibrations are MUCH less! Helped a lot with our pup! And don't try to file for more than a few (3-5) seconds at a time was also good advice i got.
I tried that and he still hates it. I think he hates any sensations in his nails beyond playing with them with my fingers. I even practice pinching his nails with my fingers as if I were somehow clipping them with my fingers and he doesn't care at all. But once you touch his nail with metal he tries his best to get away.

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

I just did five of my dogs' nails yesterday. I chose neutral, because they are fine with it, unless I nick them, I nicked two yesterday. One of Ninja's and one of Heidi's. They were both ok with my finishing the rest of their nails.

I did Rush yesterday. And I thought that would be a problem becuase when he broke his nail off a the base, and it was at 90 degrees and we took three vet techs and me to hold him down while the cut the rest of it off. I thought that would be a bad experience. The nail did not grow back. No anesthetic. And they packed it with something they admitted burned, took a bunch of us to hold him down for that too.

But he was acutually fine with me cutting the remaining front nails. One of his back nails he was acting ellusive about. I figured maybe it was how I was making him stand, so I made him lie down, and got it that way. No problem.

None of them run and hide when I get the clippers or anything like that.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Crowned Member

We run the whole gambit here.

Mauser doesn't really care much either way. He gets up on the grooming table, I clip or dremel them, he fidgets a bit and then we're done.

Tazer, the Cocker Spaniel tries to hide as soon as he sees the clippers (or dremel) and will start screaming - yes, SCREAMING before I even clip ONE nail! Drama King.

I need to get everyone up on the table at LEAST every other day (if not every day) and just grind a couple nails for a few seconds.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Kaiser, Nara, Raven and Wulf are fine with it. Della HATES it, mainly because her feet are horribly ticklish and she doesn't like them handled at all.

Puppies.. well, still working on that. It depends on how tired they are when we try and if its just one person or two (one to trim, the other to distract with yummy treats!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page