GripWork? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
dOg
Elite Member

GripWork?

With the AKC/WDS going the way of the Dodo, as is the UKC/SDA relationship, the political football it's apparently become, I wonder
of all our users who may care to participate, what the percentages might reveal if we simply answer these questions.

No need for opining, just vote!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Elite Member

Re: GripWork?

why wouldnt you want to have grip work done in all of the sports?? there needs to be an all of the above choice because they are all pointed on the grip. JMO sorry couldnt resist

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I think what is being asked is
#1 do you do bitework training
#2 what sports

Not whether working on the grip itself is part of training in any given sport.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
dOg
Elite Member

Not sure I understand your point... how is grip or bite (same thing) work involved in OB,SAR,Agility, Tracking...and Other could be flyball or frisbee, which arguably might be grip, but for my purpose in asking about Dog Sport, I meant to ask, about protection bitework, and so the If NO selection was expected to only be filled out by those not doing any bitework, but clearly, folks doing bitework are also often doing other things, and so voted there too.

Clearly, folks who promote working lines support bitework and protection sports, and yet the divide between showline and workline
at times seems pretty acrimonious in some threads, and yet, simultaneously, some showline breeders seek to insure their progeny can in fact work.

That bitework is so misunderstood, even here among gsd hosts and causes some threads to go completely down the tubes, along with the failure of the AKC/WDS program and the impending divorce of the UKC & SDA relationship, and the political frackus between the UScA/AWDF and the GSDCA/WDA organizations is enough to make one's head spin. It's not just here, the RSV2000 and the SV in the motherland mimics the malaise here. My fear is between the politically correct wonks running the HSUS and PETA, milking the
public for lobbying dollars and promoting BSL, one day, it may become very hard to find a good dog and train it, if not illegal.

So I thought I'd try to find out just how essential we as a group think bitework is. Granted, it's a small sampling of dog enthusiasts. While the board boasts 12 thousand users, it's never had even a couple hundred logged in at one time. Folks come and go.

Frankly, I'm happy 20 people responded, and hope more will. We had about 70 folk on today...here's hoping more respond. My hope is the anonymity of the poll would encourage participation.

So bump!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Crowned Member

I answered yes, but my SchH dog also is training in agility, rally obedience, and dock diving. He has done herding and will do more when there is not a wait-list here. He could title in a few non-SchH venues at the moment but I like to wait until the dog is more physically and mentally mature to trial, even if he can easily do all the skills.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris WildI think what is being asked is
#1 do you do bitework training
#2 what sports

Not whether working on the grip itself is part of training in any given sport.
ahhh, ic...maybe it should be re-titled "bitework." i would refer to gripwork as working the foundation of the bite.

opposite of bite - no bite

opposite of grip - slip

sorry, my way of thinking..

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
dOg
Elite Member

Maybe so, but can't change it now...

Likely fear was the wrong word too, and concern would be better,
concerned that bitework would become considered such a liability that some would wish to redefine it as not essential.
Though the percentages here should be a comfort to most of us, I am also not too surprised somebody thought otherwise.

In the last USA mag, a breeder who would cull an aggressor was mentioned, and it just got me wondering where the line should
be drawn, by whom, and when. Obviously, the helter shelter nightmares are a concern, but street worthy is necessary too.
I hope that folks can manage the process without any forced oversight that would water down the pool too much for the sake of political correctness.

Here's hoping Dog Sport remains part of the UKC venue in some incarnation post-SDA next year, if only to promote the work.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: Here's hoping Dog Sport remains part of the UKC venue in some incarnation post-SDA next year, if only to promote the work.
SDA is still alive despite no longer being associated with UKC. All it means is that I don't have to register my dogs with UKC now!

Betty

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
dOg
Elite Member

RE: SDA
I know that, and hope it does well too!
I like it for many reasons, but also felt the affiliation was a good thing,
an affirmation that a kennel club understood the usefulness of protection
training. It was a feather in their cap, in my eyes, and a shame to be lost.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Knighted Member

Why Dan?

The UKC is not an official dog registry or are it's titles.

OTCH SG1 (CAN) Deejay von Hausnobilis UD HIT CGN
~A Well-Balanced Dog has Titles at Both Ends~

Fayanna vom Wildhaus CGN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page