Poll for those who work their dog(s) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Poll for those who work their dog(s)

The purpose of this post is to see how people found out about “working” GSDs. It is not to debate the definition of working. Use your own interpretation of “working” when answering the questions. Nor is it to debate which bloodlines can “work” this the poll on lines is included for awareness only.

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Poll for those who work their dog(s)

I only put SchH because that is what I'm currently doing with my GSD, but I've done SAR in the past.

I didn't own a GSD that could not work prior to my working GSD, but I had a GSD/Belgian mix that is currently in SAR

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Looks like I didn't do a good job of guessing where people found out about working dogs. What did I miss?

Amy
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Knighted Member

Newspaper?

Kilo- GSD
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Crowned Member

Hard to explain. Online, I could get info only on the "awesome drives" and "hardness" of working lines that I tried to research. People were mostly posting online about sport-related qualities. For other attributes, I needed to ask IN PERSON. Over the phone or in person, I could ask about how the dogs were with environmental soundness, ability to settle in the house, etc. This is understandable, considering the nature of the internet and what folks talk about online mostly, especially if they are avid dogsports enthusiasts. But, it made it hard to find other info-- so I asked privately! Some info, folks simply didn't feel comfy posting, such as how affectionate their dogs were, an attribute that mattered to me.

Also, I had to MEET workingline dogs to have my stereotypes smashed: I met highly competetive, devoted dogsport enthusiasts who tucked their dogs into bed with them at night, and met drivey dogs who could meet anyone, go anywhere-- but also met some very titled dogs with evident environmental/nerve issues, despite the titles. Meeting in person gave me a more well-rounded, accurate viewpoint.

I continue to learn, and keep an open mind!

PS-- It wasn't until I got my first workingline GSD that I learned that "drive" can mean a dog craves a sense of helping, of working for and with the handler.

PPS-- I also learned that for dogs like this, sometimes the best reward is being permitted to get that next command that they are hoping for.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RuthieLooks like I didn't do a good job of guessing where people found out about working dogs. What did I miss?
I think you put together an excellent survey. One suggestion I would make is, 'Internet Search' may not be necessarily random. It could be very well organized and systematic. At least that was the case for me.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 01:09 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi Ruthie,

Appreciate the Poll. I agree from a lot of the discussions recently that it is much harder for the average person to learn about working lines than many people who are very involved with the breed seem to believe.

I wasn't sure how to vote in some of your polls as my interest in GSDs, and working lines in particular came about due to owning a mixed breed - so to specify:

I do Schutzhund with my dog (both of them).

I got to know about working line GSDs by getting to know someone who owned them, and did Schutzhund with them and taking OB and Tracking classes that were offered by this person. (I think that is what you missed, being introduced to working lines by an individual owner.

How easy was it to learn more about working lines? I put difficult. Book store books cater to pet owners who own typical saddle-backed dogs as pets. Internet searches brought about sites by on-line dog trainers, trying to sell you their ebook secrets, tailored to your breed of dog. Breed information on Dog Breed sites was general and cursory.

I didn't really learn much about working lines until I joined this board.

For the last question, I said yes, even though I didn't have a GSD, but my mix who may be part GSD, and sorta can do Schutzhund, but really struggles in some areas. When I started out in Schutzhund, I honestly thought that she was just as good and capable to do everything that the club working lines could do, and in some areas, she even out-performed them, except when it came to protection - she can do it, but just.

So it was a bit of a shock and a bit of a heart-breaker when I realized that she was not of the same fabric as the working lines and will always have some issues with some of the work - and it really helped me see and understand just what is meant by a dog that can work, and just what inner traits Schutzhund can test that other training/performance venues cannot.

Great poll! Love your way of thinking!

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 01:57 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to windwalker718 Send a message via Yahoo to windwalker718

The info bout "Your Shepherd" is hard to answer, as I have 3... 2 rescues, one White, one ?? working line... and my third (The Crown Prince as my Mom has labeled him) from working lines.

Info NOW on working dogs/lines is a piece of cake as opposed to when I started looking @ the breed back in the 1970's. My earliest GSD was a white, and was a working dog... Dog sledding<>PPD<> Obedience<> Pet Therapy, and was limited only by my lack of knowledge, and the fact that back in that time Schutzhund was a dirty word to the public and not easily available. He was Strong, athletic, solid nerved, outgoing and only to happy to take on any stupid thing I thought might be interesting.

Home of:
Bree... Rescue Mutt (12/11)
Demi V. Hayden (8/09)
SG Ikon V.Wolfstraum--(5/09)

& Many beloveds at the gate waiting for me...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Crowned Member

I do a lot with Isa, SchH, herding, agility, obedience, etc. Just that I'm focusing on OB and tracking atm.

I could not answer the second one as I own three different lines. Cody is American/German and one of the smartest dogs I know, Isa is German Showline, and Akbar is 3/4 DDR/ 1/4Czech. If I were to choose the best OB dog out of them, it'd be Cody for sure. Not crazy with drive but very wanting to please.

I actually didn't know about the workingline GSD until I joined a schH club in 03-04.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Brightelf
PS-- It wasn't until I got my first workingline GSD that I learned that "drive" can mean a dog craves a sense of helping, of working for and with the handler.

PPS-- I also learned that for dogs like this, sometimes the best reward is being permitted to get that next command that they are hoping for.
Patti,

This is the best description I have heard yet. Hope you don't mind that I quoted you on another post.

Amy
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page