What to use for grooming? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333
What to use for grooming?

I don't really mind all the fur that's all over the house right now, but I think Denali could look much better and shinier if I could just find something good to groom her with.
I have a rake now, but by itself, it doesn't do much. All the hair gets lose but doesn't get off her. My pin/bristle brush seems to be useless.
I know about the Furminator, but I've heard too many negative reviews on it for my comfort. Furminator isn't an option.

The following combs/brushes/rakes are the ones I would like opinions on.

Is one better than the other? What would you use combined with any other tool off the list?
If none of these are recommended please feel free to post any links of the rakes and combs that have worked best for your fur kid (that aren't Furminators).

Can't seem to figure out the poll tool sorry! LOL.

Bamboo Rake

Conair Slicker Brush

Conair Soft Slicker Brush

Evolution Rake

Greyhound Style Comb

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Crowned Member

Re: What to use for grooming?

Here is the way I groom.. esp when Rayden is blowing coat..

shedding blade to loosen all the hair.

then a rake (make sure it has the rollers on the teeth!)

then a slicker brush. I have one with retractable teeth, much easier to clean out!

by themselves, none will get all of the hair. But all together, makes a very shiny dog!

added- get a shedding blade where the handle comes apart. I can't think of the right word at the moment. but you can either use it as a hoop or unhook the handle and it will flatten out to cover more area
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Crowned Member

I am now using Isle of Dogs products... absolutely beautiful coats.

You need a powerful dog blow dryer to help dry and to blow out undercoat. I am using a double K right now but going to check out the Chris Christensen dryer this weekend. My friend says it is good, but she has a golden. It takes some good power for a GSD.

Furminator...didn't like it for Shepherds. I use it on son's Beagle.

Carla and The Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Knighted Member

My rakes are actually a single row- I like it better than the one that is a double row.....

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Elite Member

Try the kong zoom groom. It's cheap and it works really great, just make sure to use it outside. I also use the furminator, but you said that's not an option, so I can't help you there.

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DainerraHere is the way I groom.. esp when Rayden is blowing coat..

shedding blade to loosen all the hair.

then a rake (make sure it has the rollers on the teeth!)

then a slicker brush. I have one with retractable teeth, much easier to clean out!

by themselves, none will get all of the hair. But all together, makes a very shiny dog!

added- get a shedding blade where the handle comes apart. I can't think of the right word at the moment. but you can either use it as a hoop or unhook the handle and it will flatten out to cover more area
That was actually very helpful thanks! I think what I needed was a good way to groom her and not just a bunch of tools.
I went outside with what I had (A Bedhead undercoat rake, pin/bristle brush, brush with a movable base to clean the other brushes, and a flea comb) and it looked like a bunny spontaneously combusted in the front yard.
I'll probably replace the flea comb with a greyhound style comb.
She's looking much better now and everything put together worked wonders.

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 06:00 AM

I agree with Minnieski, Zoom Groom is the way to go! It pulls more hair than any brush I've used and it doesn't cut like the furminator. I got a Zoom Groom while on the road and I'll never use another tool. The bristles are rubber so the dog gets a massage while being brushed, mine loves it!

Have dog, will travel...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

I use the zoom groom when giving Jax a bath It is great for getting the hair out in the water instead of all over the floor later. Then I use that and the furminator while blow drying her.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

I have always used the furminator but tonight thought I would try the zoom groom after reading the above posts.

Can I just say this thing needs to come with a ...

Warning: Do NOT use indoors if you have not brushed your dog lately! It may cause excessive hair to come off your dog and float through the air!

It worked great!! And didn't pull her hair like the furminator does! She just needs to be done outside so the hair can just fly wherever it likes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page