Does the wind make your dog crazy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Does the wind make your dog crazy?

Oh my goodness, I almost lost it with Kaylee today. It's been really windy here lately-- fairly constant wind but also lots of gusting. I believe it is making my dog insane.

After a nice long game of fetch I decided to take her out to a state park. We stopped at a pet store on the way, and she was fine there. First thing I did at the park was stop at the restroom, and she actually went in with me without whining (she doesn't care for being closed in a stall with me but loves to bust into the bathroom at home). I thought we'd have a nice short hike. We headed out and barely got out of sight of the parking lot when she started pulling. She doesn't pull often in general, mostly when she sees her friends from training or if I'm slow on a hill. But this was almost constant. I stopped until we had slack, then started up again, off and on for fifteen minutes.

Pulling is annoying, but easy enough to deal with calmly. It's the sudden bursts that threw me off balance today. She'd be standing there, maybe looking at the stream or sniffing or something, then all of a sudden she'd be dashing back and forth to the limits of the leash. When I would tell her "no," sometimes she'd stop and bark at me and sometimes she'd just keep dashing until she got too tangled up to continue. I'd make her sit for a bit until it seemed she was okay, but minutes later she'd do it again. Finally she yanked the leash out of my hand and actually took off. She came back when I called, so we celebrated that at least.

I gave her about fifteen minutes to settle in a quiet spot, sniffing the wind and chewing on a new toy. She seemed better so I thought I'd double back and take her to the stream to let her swim for her toy for a bit. Once again, we got out of sight of the parking lot and she went nuts. She dashed about, barking and looking so excited. I shortened the leash and made her sit and she started making these crazy little yipping noises like I was hurting her! I'm sure people thought someone was kicking a puppy.

When we got back to the car, I made her sit and go "up" into the backseat, I gave her more praise for these things than she's gotten in a long time. I really didn't want to end on a bad note, and I had no more energy left to handle her outbursts.

Please tell me I'm not alone! This is her first fall and first experience with so much wind. Does it get better as they get used to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Does the wind make your dog crazy?

Wait till she starts chasing leaves. Otto was nuts about leaves last fall when he was still a little pup. This year he doesn't seem to notice them.

Morgan's the one wind effects - she doesn't like being outside and getting her fur ruffled up.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

Wait till she starts chasing leaves while you are sitting in a folding chair watching a soccer game. That is soooooo much fun!! We go to the soccer games as comedy relief!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Master Member

I've been to the dog park on really windy days and it seems to stir everyone up. It seems like there is more likely to be squabbles and general rowdiness that I haven't seen on calm days. (Could also be attributed to different mix of dogs?)

I once commented on this peculiar phenomena to a guy who was there with his golden. He said as a 2nd grade teacher, he saw a difference in behavior, tending towards unruliness, on really blustery days. Who knows how it works?

Sarah

Khyber GSD

Mr. Coal BFBC (big fat black cat)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Master Member

It makes them more active for sure! Beau gets worried about the trees moving overhead and starts looking for non-existent squirrels and Lainey will snap at nothing. I don't think she likes the feel on her face where she can't see what is doing it. Neither of them really chase the leaves, they love their balls too much!

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Crowned Member

and the full moon!
woo hoo
Brady doesn't chase leaves thank god

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Knighted Member

Well, I had a Pit mixed with GSD that would chase leaves. He was built like a pit...stalky, all muscles, but taller like a GSD. I was about 120lbs at the time. We always walked over in this field by my house. One fall, after a light rain, he stopped~very focused on something...something I could not see.

We were facing a mobile home that had no skirting on it. When he stopped, I looked down at my feet. They were in gooey mud. I had time to think to myself 'Oooohh C**P!' About then he took off. Straight towards that mobile home. The leash was one of those chain leashes with a leather handle. I let go just before he dashed under that mobile. I splatted into the side of the mobile like you see on cartoons.

Now this was a dog that would not ever come when called. He would look over his shoulder as if to say 'catch me if ya can' when I called him. I went around that back end of the mobile and called him. He came....ran right past me....wrapped that chain leash around my knee cap and kept on goin'.

My back, shoulders and hips were outta whack, and I had a HUGE bruise on the inside of my knee. I still swear to this day that he was chasing a leaf!!

He was the same with cats, and once drug me down a 12 step flight in a flash. I was bruised and out of whack so bad my daughter had to pick me up that time. I have always trained good recall after that dog!

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Crowned Member

nah.. he's plenty crazy all on his own
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

I'm glad she's normal in this, it's kind of funny watching her get the zoomies while leashed but not very safe for anyone involved. As Zisso's story well proves! The leaves are starting to fall, she finds them quite pleasant to crunch and seems surprised as they fall, but we don't have enough for piles yet. I'm sure it will be sweet to watch.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Knighted Member

Angie...I look forward to wathcing the piles of leaves as the romp in them

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page