How many of you take your females??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

How many of you take your females???

How many of you take your female GSDS to ob class, shutzhund class, agility or handling classes(etc. etc.) when they are in heat? What about when they are having a split in their heat cycle?? This is just a poll now rude comments please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Crowned Member

Re: How many of you take your females???

I've always taken the ones that don't get stupid, lol. Some females get flaky, others are fine. I've taken dogs out, but typically I'll work them after the boys are done. Some owners like the distraction to work with.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

What is the possibility of the bitch getting pregnant?? This is just a poll!!!! I say, its very slim. Thats just what I think. I have friends and relatives that say, " OH MY goodness don't take her to class when she's in HEAT!!!!" But I kinda disagree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Our bitches always continue to train normally, including at club, when in heat. Only change is we let other's know so any males not yet ready to work around the distraction get on the field first, then the males who's owners want to take the opportunity to train for the distraction work at the same time or afterwards.

As far as chance of getting pregnant, its nill provided the owner of the bitch is paying attention. Someone who would fail to notice an intact male approach, begin courting rituals, and mount their bitch really has no business owning an intact female in the first place. (Not directed at anyone, just speaking in general.) The quickest, surest stud dog on the planet and the most cooperative bitch on the planet still don't manage to get the deed done in a nanosecond. So there's plenty of time to avoid such situations, or intervene if one starts, before a pregnancy could occur. Accidental matings do occur, sometimes even with vigilent owners, but they aren't occurring at a training session when the bitch's owner is a few feet away, paying attention to and interacting with the bitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Knighted Member

Are females really flakier than males than it comes to training, work? That's what I heard. Just wondering.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Crowned Member

Depends on the female. Not all are, but there are some that are more frustrating to work.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Jason LinAre females really flakier than males than it comes to training, work? That's what I heard. Just wondering.
In general, no, I don't think so.

When in heat, some can be. Some females get soft, clingy, flakey, snarky and act in all sorts of unusual ways when the hormones are raging. Some don't act any different at all. Depends on the individual bitch.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Crowned Member

If your female is on leash the entire time (or crated) and any intact males are also on leash at all times and under the owners TOTAL control then the risk IS minimal.

That being said - I would NOT take my female to classes while in heat. Simply because most of the people at BASIC classes don't have a clue how to handle their intact males around an in season female.

Sure it's a great distraction but not always a welcome one. Especially not in something like agility - where the discharge can drip everywhere, on the equipment, and now the other dogs (including females) will be distracted.

You should ask the instructor. Some will not allow it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

What Chris said about the chance of pregnancy.

I generally do not take mine to class when they are in heat. I have so many that my trainer lets me sub in a different one when one goes in heat. This gives some of the older dogs three weeks of classes.

So when I have a bitch in heat, I let them live a life of leisure.

Dogs will get interested, try to sniff her and probably be a bit distracted, but unless you are training in SAR with both dogs off lead and able to go a distance, there would be no way people would not recognize and stop a mating from taking place in a class.

At the same time, you do not want to do ANY off lead work with your bitch at this time in an area that is not secure. It is not just dogs that want to procreate. Bitches can and will do anything to go after them, this includes climbing or leaping fences. Places that were 100% secure before might not be now. It is really not worth it to take chances. She will not make good decisions at this time. Her hormones may override your recall command, and then she is out there with the very real possibility of being run over or shot besides the possibility of becoming with puppies.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Knighted Member

I always ask the trainer and fellow students. I have yet to have anyone complain or say no. The only request that has been made is to make sure she wears her "hot pants" indoors or on the agility equipment.

That being said, sometimes Tooz just isn't into it! Her mind is...elsewhere!

Silence is Golden ~ Duct tape is Silver.

FO UCD ARCHX RLVX3 RL1X RL2X Joobie Toozday VCD1 HT RA OA OAJ NF CD-H JJ-N CTL1 TT CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page