Why do you walk your dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Why do you walk your dog?

The Loose Leash Walking thread got me thinking (scary, I know).

I think there may be a big difference in the PURPOSE of why people walk their dogs. So I decided to make this poll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Master Member

Re: Why do you walk your dog?

When I walk the boys, sometimes together somtimes seperate, I practice my heeling, sits & downs out of motion , recalls, etc. I am lucky enough to live on a low traffic circle (.6 miles) so I can easily switch dogs. i also take them for a potty break before and after, they are not allowed to sniff & mark everything.

Dawn S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY S%*T what a ride!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Master Member

we spend part of the walk working on training stuff, other half he can sniff, do whatever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Crowned Member

I love taking Morgan for a walk to check out the neighbors gardens, see the old victorians that are constantly in a state of repair, reno or just plain changing colors. She's a very nice walker, she likes to see what's going on too.

Walking Otto is work. Not as bad as he was 6 months ago when he'd try to walk me but he's all over the sidewalk checking EVERYTHING out.

Not so bad about sniffing as Luther was and he's yet to mark something - unlike Luther who couldn't walk 3 houses without peeing. Morgan used to get soooo mad at him that he was holding her up!

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:23 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Right now leash walks are exclusively for training. If Halo is good and I don't have stop every step or two because she's trying to pull me towards something she wants to sniff, both of us can get a little exercise too. All I care about is loose leash somewhere close to my side - a little ahead a little behind is fine, but not too far because I want to be able to stop occasionally and have her sit next to me, and do some right and left about face turns which are hard if she's too far ahead, especially the left turns. She can sniff as long as she doesn't plant herself in place to do so. Occasional attention is nice, but it's not required that she look at me all the time, just that she's aware that I exist, lol!

For exercise and enjoyment we go to off leash parks and they chase balls and sometimes swim, location and conditions permitting.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

I'd say it's about 50-50 for us. Walks are for exercise, to get Ris out of the house, and to keep us both sane (she would drive me NUTS without some type of energy-burning activity). Since we don't have a yard, I let her wander and sniff on walks, as long as she doesn't lag behind much. She is dog-reactive so we also spend time on walks working on making other dogs not scary (less and less time is spent lately). Occasionally I will ask for other behaviors but I usually keep training sessions separate from walks.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Crowned Member

i say 50-50 as well. we use it for excercise, training, entertainment etc.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Crowned Member

Wow, I put my enjoyment and am currently the only one to do so. The dog comes along at my pace. My pace is rather slow and the dog enjoys being with me.

I would rather they do not sniff and all, but sometimes they do. Then I stop, let them relieve themselves and clean it up.

If I do not, they tend to be more anxious to press on or whatever, I feel a relieved dog is a little is a more relaxed dog.

And the dogs with lots of energy, I make run up the stairs and check the doors up town. This is fun. It is fun to watch them "work" and for them to come running back to me.

I did not get dogs because I wanted to save them, or because I wanted to give them a great life. I got dogs because I wanted the dogs. If I do not enjoy the walk, then I will not be likely to continue to walk with my dogs.

The dogs love to be with me. That sounds like I am God's gift to dogs, but it is true. Yes, on occasion they may like to sniff a few spots, but they are so happy to be going with me, they do not really care if I take charge of the walk. If I have one tag along, it is happier than I am about it whatever I do.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:24 AM

Our walks are 50/50. We both get exercise, we socialize and we train. There are a few areas on our walks that are designated sniff spots or I give permission to sniff otherwise we keep on walking.

Linda
Luke, CGC (GSD) 1/21/2007

Raven (GSD) 3/27/2010

At the Bridge
Kelli, Roenick, Misty (collies)
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

50/50 here. I live in an apartment, so cannot just toss my dog out into a yard to entertain himself alone or with packmates. We migrate! Yep, stroll. We take breaks for him to sniff and potty, but I lead the charge. We walk 4 times per day. In the extreme summer heat, these are VERY SHORT walks. In winter, muuuuch longer!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page