What all do you guys do when you groom your dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

What all do you guys do when you groom your dogs

What all do you guys do when you groom your dogs?

The second Saturday of every month is Nikkia's grooming day. The rest of the month we do normal maintenance such as brushing her everyday.

On grooming day I:

Give her a bath with doggie shampoo and conditioner
Excrete her annal glands (disgusting I know but it has to be done...)
Blow dry her
Pluck the hair in her ears if any is in there
Clean out any gunk in her ears
Brush her teeth
Scrape off any plaque
Shave out the hair in between the pads of her paws
Clip her nails

~MacKenzie

Shakar (Foster) - Born: 2/15/05 - Sable GSD - No longer in my care, forever in my heart
Nikkia - Born: 3/24/07 Sable GSD
Kavik (Rescue) - Born: 2/2/12 - GSD / Husky X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:22 AM
Elite Member

Re: What all do you guys do when you groom your dogs

You do a lot more than we ever do! Yikes.
All we do is brush the boys and clip their nail. Cut out any matts we happen to find. Mace tends to get them no matter how much brushing we do.
Bathes are every couple of months and unless it is really chilly we let them air dry after a good towel dry.

Danielle

Mace, Hexe and Blackjack
Along with Charlie, Oggy and Luna the cats
Plus Chickens, Ducks, Geese and Guinea fowl!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Elite Member

How do you brush her teeth? Our pup tries to eat the toothbrush.

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Crowned Member

I call Zoomimg Grooming they come to the house and do everything

In between grooming I will Brush Brady and trim nails

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Crowned Member

We trim nails (dremel), bathe, and then furminate or use the shedding rake when dry. I check teeth but so far our GSDs have never had much tartar build up. I sometimes scale the teeth on the little guys. One of these days I'm going to get my act together for daily brushing.

Quote:
Quote:Excrete her annal glands (disgusting I know but it has to be done...)
Actually, most dogs should be able to keep those in fine working order on their own. They should only be manually expressed if they're impacted or otherwise having a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Elite Member

wow, I clip their nails every 2-3 weeks or so, and brush with a rake every week or two depending on the time of year or what we have been doing and that's it. Each of my dogs has seen a bath exactly once in their lives, once from a very muddy day and we still had carpets at that time and I thought I cared. my dogs don't smell like shampoo, but they don't smell like "dogs" either.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Knighted Member

You do a lot more than I do. My dogs get brushed twice a week, on Sunday and Thursday. The labs really only need it once a week, but if I brush Heidi and not them, they get bent out of shape. Everyone gets a bath once a month. I check nails when I brush and if they need clipped, I do it then. That's about it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Crowned Member

Jerzey would generally be brushed once a week. Although, now, with all the shedding she's been doing it's been nearly every day. We clip her nails if they look long but don't really do it on a regular basis since the sidewalk wears them down. I also have doggie wipes that I use if she ever "smells" (which she never really does but I hate even the fainest whiff of doggie odor) or if she's muddy since she's not really a fan of the bathtub.

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:01 PM

I brush Inara every few days and clip her nails. She hasn't had a bath yet but we only ever bathed our other shepherds a couple of times a year. I can't get near her mouth to brush those teeth, lol.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah brushing her teeth is hard sometimes she doesn't enjoy it to much but going through a few doggie tooth brushes is a lot cheaper than a cleaning at the vet. The way I've worked it out with her is when ever someone looks at or brushes her teeth she clamps her jaw shut so it's okay for lifting her lip up and looking at her bite and all but trying to pry and keep those jaws open for a brushing is a pain. So I have this long thick plastic stick that she just bites down on and I brush away then when I'm done she spits it out and gets a nummy treat. I desensitized her to it as a puppy so she doesn't chew on it or nip me but she knows how to try to get out of it by not letting me got it in her mouth. LOL She mostly keeps up with them on her own by chewing on all of those cow bones I buy her so I don't have to much to brush but I do it anyways just to keep her where I can do it.

I excrete her annal glands because she has gotten infections before so the vet told me to. I only do it every so often just every couple of months or so.

I would get away with not bathing her so often and brushing her less if my mom wasn't allergic to her. As long as I keep her really brushed out and clean my mom doesn't have to much of a problem and her allergy meds work pretty well but when I forget or get lazy she's really miserable so I have to keep up on that for another 2 years until I can move out and get a place of my own to keep her and her hairiness in. LOL

~MacKenzie

Shakar (Foster) - Born: 2/15/05 - Sable GSD - No longer in my care, forever in my heart
Nikkia - Born: 3/24/07 Sable GSD
Kavik (Rescue) - Born: 2/2/12 - GSD / Husky X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page