For the people who have long coats... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher
For the people who have long coats...

How many times have people asked if your dog was a full blooded German Shepherd? I just got back walking Rogue, my little 8 month old long coat, and while I was happy and proud of Rogue behaving herself as we crossed the paths of many many small yappy dogs and children on bikes, I couldn't believe how many people thought she was either a border collie (she looks nothing like one) or a chow mix, one person even told me there was no way she was 100% GSD...I said yes, she is FULL GSD but don't step any closer you might see just how full she really is! I was wondering how many other people get these silly statements/questions?

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

Re: For the people who have long coats...

I really dont have that happen often as he is a black and tan and looks pretty sherpherdy but they ALWAYS comment about how gorgeous he is. Probably because yours is young and at that gangly age is why they say things like that. I am sure Rogue will be one handsome guy when he matures. Heck coats look gorgeous no matter what in my personal opinion. LOL.
Most people dont realize gsd's come in a coat either. They are just jealous!

Human owner to:
Prinz-Gsd -RIP 8/3/12 Never long enough....
Ava-Rescue
Echo-Rescue GSD/Husky
Barnaby-Holland Lop

Maureen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Paws GSD Rescue
In-Take Coordinator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Fee
Master Member

Luckily not very many. Our GSD is a borderline Langstockhaar so she isn't all that fluffy so maybe that's why... People actually asked us more often about our GSD whose ear went half down after an ear infection. They never believed he was pure *sigh

Good job Rogue for being so well behaved! I know you are full GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:46 PM

My last GSD (a long coat) was often mistaken for a Collie/Shepherd, Wolf/Shepherd or a Belgian Tervuren.

I got into a lengthy discussion with some guy at the dog park who was convinced Cisco was a Belgian Tervuren. I was finally able to convince him when a female Tervuren entered the park. He left in a hurry after seeing her. lol
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: WolfieMy last GSD (a long coat) was often mistaken for a Collie/Shepherd, Wolf/Shepherd or a Belgian Tervuren.

I got into a lengthy discussion with some guy at the dog park who was convinced Cisco was a Belgian Tervuren. I was finally able to convince him when a female Tervuren entered the park. He left in a hurry after seeing her. lol
Hahaha!

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Elite Member

I did not know about long coats until we got ours. (My first reaction at the rescue meet and greet was, Oh no! The hair!) I now love the long coats.

We get a lot of reactions including the ones asking what is she? We also get an amazing number of people who stop their car when we are walking and complement us on our dogs. And when they meet Clover they all rave.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Master Member

Yup! When we say they are GSDs we get asked all the time what other breed they have mixed in. But usually are then also told they are the prettiest dogs they have ever seen. You just do not see many of them here in Alaska. To be truthful, we have had GSDs for 25 years and until about 2 years ago had never seen a long coat and probably would of asked the same question. But thanks to all the pictures Cassidy's Mom posts of her fabulous puppers we learned about them on the Internet and now are Coatie Fans
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Knighted Member

I am not sure if I had ever seen a long coat GSD prior to getting mine, but I do know that every time we are out in public I am asked what kind of dog he is. And folks are always commenting on how handsome he is. Even my dad thought he was a good looking young man and it takes a lot for that to come from him(they like little dogs)!!

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:13 PM
dOg
Elite Member

All the time...
and my Spitz is a Pom too.

And my smooth coat was a "minature shepherd"
(she was only 4 mos old) now they would call her a mutant giant
freakazoid.

Duh, yeah!

Folks are ignorant, but very confident they aren't.
Let it roll, it isn't likely to change anytime soon.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned

Shepherdy, great word.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MyoungI really dont have that happen often as he is a black and tan and looks pretty sherpherdy but they ALWAYS comment about how gorgeous he is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page