Do you have a rain coat for you dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Do you have a rain coat for you dog?

This may seem like a silly question, but it's raining today so I figured the quickest way to get out a bit of Jerzey's energy was for her to just go to the basketball court (fenced in) and run off some energy rather than take an actual walk in this cold, horrible rain. Well, now she has that awful dog smell that I hate... a while back I had tried to convince John that we should get Jerzey a raincoat for this exact reason and now I'm wondering if any of you have raincoats for your dog? Or do you avoid play sessions in the rain or have some alternative method?

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Do you have a rain coat for you dog?

My dogs GET WET. ("wet dog smell" doesn't bother me.) I don't believe in "coats" for dogs that have a natural coat.
Unless you can get someting more like "cover-alls", even with a "rain coat" your will STILL get the "wet dog" smell because while their backs might stay dry, their legs, head, tail and underside will STILL get wet and "stinky".

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Master Member

My dogs jumped in our pond after their romp in the woods this afternoon. After we dried them, yes they had "wet dog" smell, but after they dried they smell, or I should say, don't smell.

That's one of the things I love about GSDs, they always smell good (at least to me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

My guys all have rain coats, the same as their snow coats, sun coats, windy coats, overcast coats. They wear them daily since birth. They rejuvenate two or three times a year but they are essentially the same as they were born with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 05:23 PM

My shepherds no but the poodle did when she was a pup. But honestly that was more for fun and pictures.

I may consider it when my guys get up into their Sr. years but that depends on health.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Crowned Member

Absolutely not. Morgan has a heated bead therapy coat for her arthritis but she doesn't wear it where the neighbors might see her.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AmaruqMy guys all have rain coats, the same as their snow coats, sun coats, windy coats, overcast coats. They wear them daily since birth. They rejuvenate two or three times a year but they are essentially the same as they were born with.
Until I read the last sentence, I was thinking 'I cannot believe the ruq pack wears coats!'

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Haha, I figured. Just checking... I would say, though, that I'm probably not sensitive to "dog smell" than most people.

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Crowned Member

German shepherd who's been swimming in Narraganset bay. Yummy, smells like my car half the year

I like to use a little JOhnson's baby shampoo on a warm wet washcloth, just rub the dog down real good, let dry, gets rid of that stinky dog smell.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Master Member

I can honestly say being the owner of 2 smaller dogs I still cannot bring myself to getting coats for any of my dogs. My Cairns have a similar coat to a GSD, soft undercoat and a wire outer coat, which is waterproof and dirt proof. I tried to put a coat on Scooter since we got down to 10 below this winter but it lasted for about 10 feet of our walk, he had his feet stuck in it because he was trying so hard to get it off. The only coat I can get on him is his life jacket.

Sometimes I feel like Dozer could get cold because he still has his puppy coat but he seems to do ok. He smells pretty ripe right now, he got nuetered and I cannot give him a bath. He goes to daycare so he smells like a wet dog and a kennel, I bought some waterless foam shampoo that smells good until I can give him a bath.

Jess
Dozer (9/23/08-GSD),
Scooter (12/26/03- Cairn Terrier)
Sadie (7/24/2004- Carin Terrier)
Mylo (6/99 Maine Coon Kitty)
Ally (8/12/99 Ragdoll Mix Kitty)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaAbsolutely not. Morgan has a heated bead therapy coat for her arthritis but she doesn't wear it where the neighbors might see her.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AmaruqMy guys all have rain coats, the same as their snow coats, sun coats, windy coats, overcast coats. They wear them daily since birth. They rejuvenate two or three times a year but they are essentially the same as they were born with.
Until I read the last sentence, I was thinking 'I cannot believe the ruq pack wears coats!'
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking when I started to read that!

No coats here either.

I have found that wherever I go, the stupidest drivers in the world have followed me there!

Mom to:
Dallas 01/15/05
Dakota 10/26/08 - CGC, RN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page