Do you board your dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Do you board your dog?

I was reading the thread about a PA Kennel that had an explosion (Propane Explosion at PA Kennel ) and was curious how many people board their dogs when they are gone, vs. taking with or having someone come over?

-Mindy

Mom to:
Bella (11/24/05)
Duke (1/12/09)
Ahi--Beta Fish
Auntie to:
Daisy--Duke's litter-mate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Re: Do you board your dog?

Oh, and to start...if someone Bella knows is available to come over that is my first choice. My sister has always lived nearby, and is now on the next street over from my house, so if she or her husband or oldest son (he's a very responsibile 16 year old) will be home that's our first choice. That way she's at home, in her element, and has a familure face to feet her/play ball/etc.

However, we take family trips that Bella can't come on about once a year. In that case we board her at the same Petsmart Pet Hotel, because she doesn't react well when people she doesn't see regularly comes over when my mom or I am not home. She doesn't like going there, but she is learning that when she stays there I'll be back soon to take her home. I also like that they have staffmembers on-site at night, the pet hospital is in the same building and has an on-call vet, and there are many options to keep her entertained during the day. I always sign her up for 2 treat times a day (one Kong treat, one "ice cream" treat) and extra play times or doggie day camp which is all day in a little recreation room with other medium to large dogs. I try to mix up what type of play time she gets on top of their 2 standard walks so each day is a little different from the next, as the staff has told me that she seems to do better when I do that.

-Mindy

Mom to:
Bella (11/24/05)
Duke (1/12/09)
Ahi--Beta Fish
Auntie to:
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Crowned Member

I boarded Doerak twice. I haven't boarded either of the Belgians. I think Ciana would have a heart attack to be in a building with 100 other dogs. I think Balto would be very sad. I know, it sounds stupid, but I think both dogs would have a problem with being boarded.

I am open to getting a dog sitter if I ever really need to go someplace that I can't bring the dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to southerncharm Send a message via Yahoo to southerncharm

We go on vacation twice a year. One week in April and one week in October. I would prefer to have someone I know come over and take care of the dogs, but that isn't an option...

High Point is the 'furniture capital of the world' and holds a spring and fall furniture market that shows off the new designs of the season. Furniture dealers from all over the world come here, literally thousands and thousands of them. Since there aren't enough hotels to stay in, people rent out their homes. We are those people, lol.

So the dogs can't stay here, they go to board at the vet hospital. I would love to be able to take them along, but most hotels won't take 4 dogs, especially not an APBT. This time around we're going on a cruise, so taking the dogs REALLY isn't an option, lol. I'm not wild about our vet hospital or the boarding there, but I can't seem to find any place nearby that I like better. I pick the dogs up in one piece, so no big complaints, lol.

~Rachel, CPT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Elite Member

We have always found our animals come out of boarding so unhappy that we have found people to come in and watch them. Most recently it was my oldest daughter who lives at home and does not tend to travel with us.

Last time we went out of town we took Clover with us. My parents called me a few days later and said she could come over any time she wants. (They live 3 hours away)

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Elite Member

I am trying to figure out what to do with Koch when we go to Aruba for a week in August... She will be 11months by then, so she will be better than being a "full puppy" - but I will still worry.

I am unsure if my mother can handle her

Java Haus Juris, CGC - 6/2/2012
Kessey "Koch" Von der Sauk - 10/26/2008 - 04/23/2011 - Pronounced "Coke"
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Crowned Member

I always took my Golden Ginger along on trips. The only times I didn't take her were the 2 times while I had her that I went places on a plane and when I was going to visit my sister in Minneapolis because my sister's apartment did not allow dogs even to visit.

My terrier Pooch did not get to go on most trips because he was very annoying on car rides, he would whine CONSTANTLY because he was so excited and impatient to get wherever we were going. I figured a long trip with him would be unbearable. I usually had a family member who stayed home with him (and Ginger the few times she didn't go) and often had a second person to come and play with the dogs/let them out during the day while the family member was working. One year my family member was going on a trip at the same time, so I arranged for him to stay at a dog hotel where my parents used to take our family dog when I was a kid. I wish I hadn't taken him there, it turned out to be ALL concrete with smallish indoor kennels for the dogs. I don't even know if they got to go outside at all! They made us pay extra for him to have a bed to sleep on instead of just concrete (he had hip dysplasia so a bed was important.) I felt really bad about leaving him there and I never took him to a kennel again.
Then finally I was taking a trip where I couldn't leave Pooch at home. He had FHO hip surgery and he needed to have regular physical therapy, exercise and massage to help in recovery and formation of a false joint. We were going on a trip to Wisconsin and so I brought both dogs along. We were staying at a cabin so having two dogs was not a problem. The cabin was on a private lake so I was even able to do hydrotherapy with him. I was surprised to discover that he actually settled down on long trips, he seemed to realize we wouldn't be getting anywhere anytime soon so he did not whine as he normally did. After this I took him along as well as Ginger on most of my trips.

Before that (in high school) I had a friend who I used to "trade" petsitting with. When her family went on a summer vacation I watched her pets, and when my family did she watched mine. It worked out great since we already knew the pets and we only lived a block away. We both had small critters (hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits that sort of thing) in addition to dogs and it was good to know someone who knew how to care for them was watching them.

I have worked at a few boarding/daycare kennels and I would not bring my dogs to them. They are very clean and sanitary sure, but the dogs just do not get much individual attention when there are so many dogs as just a few employees. They get very short "walks" just to potty and then back in their run. Some of them offer daycare for dogs who are boarding but I've never had a dog who was really interested in playing with other dogs so it would not be beneficial. I remember once I was working and I saw a dog who looked a LOT like my best friend's dog. He was also really sweet so whenever I passed his cage I would go in and pet him or talk to him a lot. After a while of doing this he started to whine every time he saw me! He was craving attention because mostly people just would go around cleaning cages and only pay attention to those dogs whose cages needed cleaning, unless it was "walk" time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 03:21 PM

I wish I could board my girl...My boyfriend begs me to. I just would not have fun knowing she would be upset being away from her pack. I sacrifice alot of trips to work around my pup. Sounds silly- but if I can't enjoy myself...what's the point?

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: PuddincatSounds silly- but if I can't enjoy myself...what's the point?
I don't think it's silly at all. I have been on some really amazing trips without Bella, but I always spend a lot of time thinking about her. I have to call and check in to make sure everything is alright.

-Mindy

Mom to:
Bella (11/24/05)
Duke (1/12/09)
Ahi--Beta Fish
Auntie to:
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 PM

I have always had a thing for animals. Growing up our family cat opened the front door and took walks around the block. My current cats come to a whistle, take walks, sit for treats and when I had Bravo PTS I was surprised at how depressed they became.

I added a comment or two on the Propane Fire thread about having someone come into my home, being a petsitter per sae, and was told I shouldn't 'condemn' others for boarding their dogs! That was truly not my intent.

I lost my job with a local mutual fund company and decided to create a niche for myself by preparing meals for elderly couples who wanted to remain in their homes. I also take care of animals and have a gift for connecting with most criters. I know how much more relaxed my dogs and cats are when they stay home! I know how stressed they can be at a kennel...even one which deals almost exclusively with GSD's. I feel there's no substitution for sleeping in one's own bed! Sure they're lonely when I'm gone and can't take them with me so in return I go out of my way to ensure my client's pets have as much one-on-one love and attention as possible.

I currently am active in a local GSD rescue and foster. I find I'm more likely to stay in town and housesit these days then take a trip. This summer when I do weekend jaunts to the lake if at all possible I'll take my dogs. They love to swim and I love seeing them run and cavort!

Bottom line: We do what works best for our families. Horrific accidents like the PA kennel explosion are an example of a true tragedy.

Carla

GSD's
Lupa 3/7/95-1/11/96
Bravo 7/25/99-5/10/06
Terra 3/2003-2/7/09
Skye 9/2004-

Felines: Sophie 3/1989-11/2005
Princess Winona and Dakota 6/2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page