Would You Call Animal Control? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Would You Call Animal Control?

Last night Rocky and I had an incident while we were walking. (Here is the link to the thread, https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...=1#Post999715)

I was thinking about this today, and the more I thought about it, the angier I got. OUr situation turned out ok, but what if someone was walking with their pup and a child in a stroller, or what if these dogs just decided that they could "take" what every animal they were trying to intimidate?

I am arguing with myself about whether or not I should call animal control and report these people or not. This is not the first time we have been approached by their dogs and I am sure it wont be the last time.

Just wondering, it you were in this situation, would you file a report with Animal Control on these people?

Edited; I cant figure out how to do one of the nomal pole things.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Would You Call Animal Control?

Of course I would report them. What happens if two young girls are walking their small dog? Maybe those GSDs just barked and growled because you had a GSD and other adults with you. If they see a smaller dog and kids, they might be more aggressive. Bottom line is -- people are required by law to keep their dogs on their property, they are not allowed to run loose and terrorize people.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Knighted Member

I would directly talk to owner in a friendly way before getting animal control involved.Also registered letter to owner might be way to go as well.Personally I trust myself before system which can be underactive or over active in their response.Please do NOT suppose what might have happened to someone else and concentrate on your own issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't call animal control if it was the first time. The second time it had happened, yes I'd call.

We have a pair of pugs 2 blocks over. Now these are not german shepherds and there are only 2 of them.

The first time they charged my dogs, Luther was still alive so it had to to have been almost 4 years ago. Luther tossed one of them like a salad and the other one ran away. No owner around.

The second time they charged me, Morgan barked at them, they ran away. Woman owner was there, she didn't make any effort to correct or collect her dogs.

The third time was early last summer, I had the twins in the double wide stroller, James was walking on my right, Morgan on my left. The pugs charged us, James yelled at them, one of the grabbed him by the ankle. James kicked it and Morgan grabbed it. I screamed at the owner that he better come get his dogs.

He wasn't apologetic so I called animal control. I showed A/C the tear in my son's sock and said I wanted to file a complaint.

The FOURTH time those dogs charged me, the kids were in school and I had Morgan and Otto both with me. The pugs ran across the street to charge us, barking at us. Morgan let out a warning WOOF. They both stopped. The owner came to collect them and apologized to me. I gave him an earful that he needed to get a fence. Amazingly, I didn't swear!

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ttalldogI would directly talk to owner in a friendly way before getting animal control involved.Also registered letter to owner might be way to go as well.Personally I trust myself before system which can be underactive or over active in their response.Please do NOT suppose what might have happened to someone else and concentrate on your own issues.
If you could safely get on to the property yes, talking to the owner would might be an options. Dh has actually tried to talk to the owner from the street before when he had the other male shepherds. Doesnt go so well when you have a 120 lbs shepherd charging at you.

Danielle

Mom to:
3 Skin Kids
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaI wouldn't call animal control if it was the first time. The second time it had happened, yes I'd call.

We have a pair of pugs 2 blocks over. Now these are not german shepherds and there are only 2 of them.

The first time they charged my dogs, Luther was still alive so it had to to have been almost 4 years ago. Luther tossed one of them like a salad and the other one ran away. No owner around.

The second time they charged me, Morgan barked at them, they ran away. Woman owner was there, she didn't make any effort to correct or collect her dogs.

The third time was early last summer, I had the twins in the double wide stroller, James was walking on my right, Morgan on my left. The pugs charged us, James yelled at them, one of the grabbed him by the ankle. James kicked it and Morgan grabbed it. I screamed at the owner that he better come get his dogs.

He wasn't apologetic so I called animal control. I showed A/C the tear in my son's sock and said I wanted to file a complaint.

The FOURTH time those dogs charged me, the kids were in school and I had Morgan and Otto both with me. The pugs ran across the street to charge us, barking at us. Morgan let out a warning WOOF. They both stopped. The owner came to collect them and apologized to me. I gave him an earful that he needed to get a fence. Amazingly, I didn't swear!
This isnt the first time and I am sure I am not the only person this has happened to. We live on a country type road. People not only walk their dogs on our road, but also their children.

Danielle

Mom to:
3 Skin Kids
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Crowned Member

DSudd stated this was the NOT the first time these dogs had charged her. These owners are obviously unconcerned and irresponsible and I have found that with people like this, if you attempt to talk to them in a courteous manner, you wil most likely be greeted with some expletives. The best way is to let AC or the police handle it. People need to think about not only themselves, but also what could happen to someone else n the neighborhood; after all, isn;t that part of being a member of a community - getting involved, speaking up and looking out for others?
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Knighted Member

I totally apologize if I misunderstood your situation.For personal reasons I just hate getting animal control involed as a first reaction.I just can't help thinking it is NOT the dogs fault but the owners and with breed discrimination the dog will wind up with the short end of the stick.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

TTall I understand you feeling on this and that is why I am trying to do the right thing. I would hate for these pups to end up in the shelter, but with them running wild, someone is going to get hurt or they could end up getting hit by a car.

If we could talk to the owner I would try, but after yesterday there is no way I would try to get on their property.

Danielle

Mom to:
3 Skin Kids
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Knighted Member

If only we could save them all! I am soo glad I am not where you are.I wish maybe someone could come in with a catch pole and take these GSD to a better place-know it won't happen -wishing you the ability to do the right thing in a bad situation.Magical thinking I know but wish we could catch pole them and take them to a place where there bad begining could be a good start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page