Schutzhund Dogs, in or out? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Schutzhund Dogs, in or out?

So here is my question, with so many SchH dogs here, how many live in the house with you and how many feel a firm belief that a working dog should live outside or at least in a Kennel?

I have found that wherever I go, the stupidest drivers in the world have followed me there!

Mom to:
Dallas 01/15/05
Dakota 10/26/08 - CGC, RN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Schutzhund Dogs, in or out?

I voted for in the house but in nice weather I do throw them out in the kennel for quite awhile. It seems to build up their anticipation to get out and do something and they are eager to get to work. When it's nice out, I hate to leave them cooped up for too long and I can padlock the kennels and leave them out.

~Tracy~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style="color: #000099">Xandor vom Haus Sevens, IPO 3
Emma vom Haus Dieffenthaler

</span></span>
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Crowned Member

You also need to define "in the house". Are they all loose in the house, some crated (and for how long) or rotated day to day and what about the night.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Crowned Member

I would bet a number of us will put them in kennels while we are at work and let them out when we get home, work/play with them for awhile and bring them in at night

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:SchH dogs
(ETA: I'm not singling out the OP. I have heard this many times from many sources.)

I have a BIG problem with this. Why single out Schutzhund dogs? Why not say Agility dogs or Rally dog or Herding dogs?

Why do people think that SchH dogs need to be treated any different?

Unless of course they are only interested in the top scores. Limit the dogs time with it's humans so it's more driven to work??

IMHO it all comes down to this - what happens if your dog totally TANKS at Schutzhund? Or any other sport for that matter. What then?

My dogs are always, first and foremost, family pets. They learn to live in the house together in harmony (if at all possible) and be good members of society.

Competition, high scores and fame all come second (if at all).

I knew and (used to) respect a lady in the agility group I belonged to. Her dogs were AWESOME! The first thing that made me question the respect I was giving her was when she went out and bought a Border Jack puppy. Border Collie/Jack Russel mix - bred SPECIFICALLY for agility. Fast but short (so you get the low jump heights).

She and I were in the same beginner class. Me with Tazer and her with her new puppy. She kept going on and on about how THIS dog was going to be the next National Champion. Week Three of class found her starting to worry about the dogs height. He was growing too tall. He had to stay under a certain height in order to get the lower jump height. Week Five and she was training the puppy to slouch when it felt the measuring stick on it's back.

Last time she came to class was Week Six. After that I found out from another member of the group that she had "gotten rid of" the puppy because he went over height.

I don't buy a dog with the sole purpose of competing. If I want to compete I'll buy something non-living - like a race car. I am buying a companion, someone to spend 13+ years of my life with.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Crowned Member

ALL my dogs are primarily in, regardless of what they do. I don't have kennels or even a fenced yard so it's not an option (and hasn't been an issue).
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Knighted Member

I have to agree with Lauri on this, I do not have my SchH dog yet, but all my dogs are family members first. I am *crossing fingers* getting a new pup to begin SchH with very soon, hopefully in May. The new pup will still be a companion and family member. I do believe in crate training, all my girls have used a crate, Dutch still does but Shadow doesn't need one anymore. New pup will have her own crate as well. Lauri that is a shame what that lady did with that pup....poor pupper.

~Alison

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Crowned Member

I'm in it for the total dog. When I get a dog that I can work with in schutzhund, it'll be a house dog and yes it will have a kennel outside but it won't live there. Renji also lives inside. I don't believe in owning a dog that lives outside and is only taken out to work.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Elite Member

tyson is not a schH dog but PSA is close. he stays in the house but does not roam the house when we are gone, he is crated. now this new dog that im handleing stays in the trainer's kennels outside. but they also have a lot of working dogs so an abundance of them in the house together would not be a good idea.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We have 6 dogs. 2 now retired SchH dogs, a 10yo male and 12yo female, 1 house pet 9yo female who washed out of SchH very young and 3 younger dogs, 1 male and 2 females, still actively training in SchH.

All live in the house. But not all are loose in the house at the same time.. unfortunately if we just turned all 6 loose we'd have WWIII. We have certain combinations of dogs who get along together, and other combinations that don't. So they rotate. 2-3 dogs in the house, the others crated or, weather permitting, outside in a fenced enclosure. Everyone gets time every day playing with us, training, and playing with other dogs. Fortunately our work schedules allow for additional mid-day play time and rotation to break it up.

A typical day goes sort of like this.
Morning, everyone goes outside in pairs to potty and play a bit. Breakfast.
2 are left loose to roam the house when we're at work, the others crated.
Late morning, Tim gets home and has a few hours before he goes back to work so everyone goes outside again in pairs for potty breaks and longer play sessions and often some play/training with him too.
Early afternoon, he leaves for work again, and 2 are left free to roam the house while we're gone. Usually a different 2 than got the morning house shift.
Early evening when we're both home from work, everyone goes outside again in pairs for potty and doggy play. Everyone gets some one-on-one play and/or training with us.
Dinner.
2 or 3 are loose in the house with us in the evening while others are crated or playing together outside.
Night, everyone goes outside again for potty and doggy play. 2 stay out to roam the house overnight while others are crated.

Next day, same schedule but with different dogs getting the loose in the house priviledges at different times.

Weekends are pretty much devoted to dogs, with Sat being SchH club and Sun being the play day. So they all get lots of play and training and hang-out-with-us time on the weekends.

In many ways I would prefer to have outdoor kennels for whichever dogs aren't on the roam-the-house-rotation during the day when we are at work. But even though we're out in the country without any real neighbors, I worry about it from a safety/security standpoint.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page