Do you have a dog first aid kit or disaster kit? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Do you have a dog first aid kit or disaster kit?

I am curious how many people have a first aid kit for your pets, and how many people have prepared a pet disaster kit?

If you don't know what a disaster kit is, you can find more info here:
http://www.sniksnak.com/ac/disaster.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Master Member

I just started putting together a first aid kit for Joey, based on a vet website I found. It has the following (please let me know if I'm missing anything):

Rectal thermometer
Gas-X strips
A syringe without needle
Pepto Bismol tablets
Immodium tablets
Pedialyte
Jar of Turkey babyfood
Peroxide
Asprin
Benadryl
Plain saline solution

We also have our vet and poison control programmed into our cell phone, and posted on our refrigerator.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Crowned Member

I keep most of my dog supplies in the kennel van, including medical stuff. I believe there's gauze, other wrappings, vet wrap, several types of scissors, ear wipes, Neo-Predef powder, Zymox, Dermalone, Flagyl, Benadryl. I also keep saline solution in the van for myself, plus three full water bottles (human drinking kind) and three full jugs of tap water, several days worth of kibble. The normal configuration has three crates all with bedding and water pails, all of my training gear (leashes, collars, toys, long lines, harnesses, tracking articles and flags, send outs, small traffic cones), extra dog bedding, sheets, and blankets, extra shoes and Muck boots, and a box full of sun screens, rain gear, and bug repellents for the humans.

If there were ever an emergency we could easily toss the dogs into the van and go without having to pack anything for them. I'd just have to grab my purse, camera, and laptop and we wouldn't really miss anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Elite Member

Yep, I keep a huge tub with several dog/people first aid kits I've put together myself along with other things that might come in handy. It stays in the car and travels with me everywhere.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Crowned Member

Falon's my go-to for EMT gel and dog booties!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have a pouch for human and k9 medicines as well as batteries which does NOT stay in the car because I don't want them exposed to temp extremes.

Also vetrap, sterile eye wash solution, I have some clotting powder, superglue (though I have never used it on a pad), guaze, triple antibiotic, dawn (for decon), muzzle,

NASAR has a pretty comprehensive list at the back of their canine cert document

http://www.nasar.org/files/canine/CC...ed_6.30.11.pdf

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Crowned Member

I have a family first-aid kit that includes stuff for the dogs.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Crowned Member

I recently took a Red Cross pet first aid/CPR class so now I have a kit put together. What I don't have is a picture of me and my husband with Stosh- something they recommend in case you get separated from your dog in case of a disaster and need to claim your dog from a shelter.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Knighted Member

First aid kit yes but nothing set for evacuation. With all of my animals I seriously doubt we would be put up anywhere. But I may put something together in a plastic tub, at least non food stuff.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:29 AM

Evacuation plans

I've been in some disasters and I'm now sort of intense about planning. I'm one "found" puppy over the line of dogs/cats I can transport at one time in and on my Jeep if we're faced with evacuation, and that one puppy makes me nervous. Don't know where she'd go! Anyway, I've learned that the majority of people don't plan at all for unforseen happenings. I for one don't want to leave anyone behind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page