Does your dog go to bed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Does your dog go to bed?

I wanted to ask how many of you have dogs that put themselves to bed? Sonny is crated and every time between 9:30-10pm he gets up goes in his crate and is done for the evening. It is way cute and we always know the time. On the other hand, Cabela's bed (which is in the kitchen) is not very appealing to him he would rather be under the covers buried on the couch next to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Master Member

Re: Does your dog go to bed?

My dogs just seem to know when the TV goes off at night, they go into their beds. They usually are lounging around in the living room until I click the remote and then they both get up immediately.

Mom to 4 girls
Marley - 1 yr GSD
Sampson - Chesapeake Bay Retriever 11 yrs
Precious - Witch kitty 10 years
Nike- 1yr Pound Puppy
Tinkerbell- 9 mo kitty
Lucy - 6 mo GSD - At the bridge
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Helly

Jackson knows bed time...he knows my little rituals and when I say "Let's go to bed" he goes straight in his crate.

Jackson~~2/18/2008 - 1/28/2010
forever in my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Crowned Member

I always eat a tiny snack while I read, so naturally they all follow me. Coke usually sleeps starting on the bed. Nikon graduated out of his crate last week (he's 5 months), so he either sleeps on the floor where his crate used to be or he snuggles in on Kenya's dog bed.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Crowned Member

Yes they know when I go up to wash my face and brush my teeth it time for Night night and when I come down they are laying on their blankeys

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Elite Member

Riley gets up on the bed for an hour or so when we go to sleep so that's her signal. We all go up and brush our teeth and she gets a few more minutes of play time, then we all get in bed, lol.

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Crowned Member

When we say Go To Bed the dogs fight over the crates!! Could be that from day 1 they always got (and continue to get) treats for going in their crates.

This does backfire sometimes - like when I want to change the bedding in the crate and I can't get Mauser OUT of it!

We tried letting Sasha sleep with us a couple times but she fidgets the whole night and neither DH nor I get much sleep, so she sleeps in her crate.

Mauser gets to sleep with us when we know he's truly tired - otherwise he wakes up around 3 am and wants to go potty and then play.

The three little guys always wait to see who's name ISN'T called when we say Go To Bed because that's the one that gets to sleep with us.

If we win the lottery we are having a mattress and bed cutom made for us. It will be the size of two queen sized beds side by side. That way ALL the dogs can sleep with us! Right now if we let more than one on the bed with us I end up sleeping on the very edge of the bed!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Crowned Member

Duncan knows when it's bedtime...around 10 oclock you can find him laying on his dog bed...or glaring at us. We can say "go to bed" and he'll go on in.

Anna is still figuring it out, but she usually passes out about 10 as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Crowned Member

Shutting the TV off normally gets them going to bed or if we say "Bed Time Bonzo's" they both walk to their beds and wait for the night rub down and treat.

• Thor & Riggs Brothers to the end. 24 May 2005 - 17 Jan 2017
  • Misha-9 yr Calico kitty, Mischief-9 yr tabby hellion (littermates)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:26 AM
DnP
Elite Member

At home, I usually go to bed around 9pm and I'll let him out for the last pee of the night, turn everything off and say "let's to to bed". Phoenix goes straight to his bed in my bedroom.

When we are visit my folks or they are dogsitting for me Phoenix puts himself to bed. My folks are retired and thus, have a later bedtime. Around 9pm he'll bug them to go pee and then when he comes back in, he goes straight to their bedroom, jumps on the bed and promptly goes to sleep. (Whether I'm up or not) there are lots of times either my mom or dad have to move him so they can get into their bed.

Diana

Bentley - the light that brought me out of the darkness

RIP Phoenix, Brightstar Rescue, 2006 - 5/6/2017
RIP Dakota 1/5/93 - 10/23/2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page