those of you that train - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

those of you that train

for those of you that train your dogs in "competative sports" such as SchH, competative obediance, PSA, SAR etc etc, why do you do it?? breeding rights? just for fun? hobby?? etc etc

i've continued on with tyson's training (PSA) for fun and is starting to become a hobby. my first intentions were because tyson and i were both bored (mostly me ) with daily routines and i decided to extend his mind and give him a "job." i have met some pretty cool and resourceful people that i have learned a lot from. i couldnt be happier with my choice.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Knighted Member

Re: those of you that train

Definetely for fun. I started taking agility classes a couple years ago to build a better bond with my dog. I had no idea we would compete, let alone bring home blue ribbons! If we weren't having fun, I wouldn't do it.

Silence is Golden ~ Duct tape is Silver.

FO UCD ARCHX RLVX3 RL1X RL2X Joobie Toozday VCD1 HT RA OA OAJ NF CD-H JJ-N CTL1 TT CGC
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Crowned Member

My bf has been really interested in SchH ever since he stumbled upon video of it on youtube and, when we actually found a club nearby, I encouraged him to go. He finally took Jerzey for the first time two weekends ago and found out that it was actually something she might be successful with... I have been encouraging him to start training with her because I wanted him to get her involved in something that he could be proud of... especially because the day-to-day aspects of owning your first high energy dog (and she really is HIGH energy) can be a bit discouraging because you see how your dog challenges you, "forgets" what they've been trained, etc. (Don't people always focus on the worst?! It's such a bad habit... ) I know that giving them a job they can do together will bond them and really give him a reason to brag about his dog! After his first SchH practice he was SO proud. It made me so proud of the both of them. I can't wait to go and watch this weekend!

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

i know it, i think people get tired of hearing me talk about my dog haha but hey i hear people braggin about there kids (i do that too), cars, or whatever all the time so its pretty much the same concept lol

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:33 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I started training because my dog really, really, REALLY needed the training and structure. I did it half-heartedly, because I always thoguht that formal dog training would be boring . . .

Boy, I'm often wrong, but this time, I was REALLY REALLY REALLY wrong!! I LOVED it! My dog loved it! It was all for fun, of course, and when I joined the SchH club it was only because she did not qualify for AKC/CKC style training being a mixed breed. I was encouraged to try for a BH and to trial, I could NEVER imagine myself titling or trialing, but it doesn't take long, you start thinking "Hmm, maybe we CAN do this!"

Well, once you start, you just can't stop! It becomes so addictive!

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Quote:for those of you that train your dogs in "competative sports" such as SchH, competative obediance, PSA, SAR etc etc, why do you do it??
One of the biggest reasons is because I enjoy it. I like the challenge of working with these wonderful animals, developing a relationship, molding their natural drives into behaviors that we need for competition. I also like what it tells me about the dog, but in many ways what it tells me about myself. And, yes, I also like the competitive aspect of the dog sports.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

While we do use it for evaluating dogs for breeding, by far the main reason is FUN.

I love working with the dogs and the bond it creates. I love how much *they* love it and seeing them very much in their element, doing what comes naturally and loving the work and me being a part of that. It's fascinating what they are capable of, and I love seeing them doing the things that they and their ancestors were bred to do. I enjoy the challenges of figuring out the best way to teach and communicate with each individual dog and the sense of accomplishment I have when I finally get it right. The comraderie and social aspects of hanging out with other people as crazy about GSDs and training as I am is a bonus too.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Knighted Member

It is a lot Fun, but more for the Bonding.
The Relationship from training and molding is what I get rewarded with.
Now Trials can be very humbling, but since we have no pressure other than to have fun.
They are a great way to meet other dog people & have fun with our dogs in public.

OTCH SG1 (CAN) Deejay von Hausnobilis UD HIT CGN
~A Well-Balanced Dog has Titles at Both Ends~

Fayanna vom Wildhaus CGN
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Elite Member

We started a long time ago but were never able to really follow through with any sort of dog sport. After our first GSD we settled on the ones who were not cut out for it and who were just better suited to go for walks with us or chill on the couch. But when our last one passed away we decided to start again. We do it for fun and we do it for human socialization too. To be with others who share a passion for the breed and/or what they are training their dog to do. We have met some very wonderful people by getting involved in SchH.

Danielle

Mace, Hexe and Blackjack
Along with Charlie, Oggy and Luna the cats
Plus Chickens, Ducks, Geese and Guinea fowl!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: lcht2for those of you that train your dogs in "competative sports" such as SchH, competative obediance, PSA, SAR etc etc, why do you do it?? breeding rights? just for fun? hobby?? etc etc
I do it because the dogs LOVE it.

That being said we do try many different sports to find what each dog likes the best.

My two goals for this year are to get the Earth Dog tunnels put in and get some agility equipment built!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page