Do your dogs show off for guests? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Do your dogs show off for guests?

Both of our dogs act like complete clowns when people come over. They are well behaved, but they act like little kids who have made new BFFs.

Elmo goes from person to person and wants hugs and kisses. When he's done with his first round, he starts round 2! Then, he has to show everyone all of his toys.

Molly is hilarious to watch. My friends were over recently and they were telling me about a Jack Russell who could do simple math. I really wonder if Molly understood what they said because she started acting like a complete fool. She was trying to do head stands on the sofa. She was putting her head down and trying to lift her back legs up. I think she was trying to show them that another JRT may have better math skills than her, but they can't do headstands!

Do your dogs show off when you have guests?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Do your dogs show off for guests?

Paige shows off her teeth!

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -french proverb
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 PM

Mica (my cat) is the most unwelcoming of guests. she's either no where to be found by the time i open the door... or she'll remain in her exact position and stare them down for a good hour before saying hello.

Gia is my social butterfly. she has this incredible ability to swing her butt from left to right creating a perfect "C". she dances and prances and whines - it annoys me, but my company finds it most flattering (i don't mention that she does this to nearly anyone). A sit or down-stay during these times are her worst enemies. she does them but with a "please mom pleeeeeeeease let me get up" whine. once allowed up, she does the same routine as Elmo and has to present them with every single one of her toys.

Tilden gets excited when we have company, but he has absolutely no idea why he's excited. He'll give them the sniff over, but is usually just running from Gia to me with a smile on his face like "hey guys, why are we so happy?". Once things settle down he'll go say hi and solicit a hug or rubs.

If company comes over with a dog, I have them enter thru the yard. Tilden runs straight to the doggie company, Gia runs straight to the human company before taking up her role as referee with the other dogs.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: CamerafodderTilden gets excited when we have company, but he has absolutely no idea why he's excited. He'll give them the sniff over, but is usually just running from Gia to me with a smile on his face like "hey guys, why are we so happy?". Once things settle down he'll go say hi and solicit a hug or rubs.
They can be so silly sometimes.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Crowned Member

mine get so excited too
basically Brady thinks ooooh new people to play with me and they won't say no, Missy thinks she is a lap dog and is on top of people wanting love and kisses mind you she weighs 99 lbs
but after a while they relax, unless there is a child and Brady wants to play play play.

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Oh my yes!!!!
Not so much anymore, but when younger, Naomi would prance around in a circle like a show dog in the show ring.
She would put her nose to her chest, stick out her chest, and put her ears back after picking up something, anything-but usually her "baby" stuffed toy.
Then she would do a circuit around full circle over and over, slowly prancing and "sachet-ing ".
It was almost like someone had taught her to do it, and always made us laugh and heap the praise she was looking for!
Like she was born for the show ring or something.
She always did it for company, and randomly for us at times.
It never took much encouragement to get her going.
This will be one of our most treasured memories of Naomi.

Koog
&
Naomi -"My Delight"
1994-2010
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

Luther was a tremendous show off. He loved everyone and everyone loved him. Morgan grew up in his shadow and was more than happy to just sit with mommy. Otto, oh yes, he's Mr Entertainment.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Crowned Member

Rocky views every guest as a play mate. He has learned if we let them in the house they are ok. Of course he is very familiar with all of our company. First he will lay down for the customary hugs, rubs and kisses. Then he will get a tennis ball and start making rounds. He just drops the tennis ball, mentally wills someone to pick it up and play. Ifthe telepathy doesnt work then he will go to the next person.

The only time Rocky has to go out to go potty every 5 minutes is when we have company. He walks into the living room, sits and stares until he is acknowledged, talks to them, and of course they follow him to see what he wants. On New Years Day my nephew took Rocky out 6 times in a hour, my sister showed up and he tried going back outside again. He got her several times, I finally had to tell her, he doesnt have to go, he has already been out 6 times. LOL Rocky knows she is a sucker and will cater to him.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

My 5 year old INTENSE ball or anything you can lift and throw male is no longer allowed loose with visitors. I never throw things for him anymore because he is off the charts out of control. so when visitors come over he knows it's his only chance to maybe get something thrown for him, he comes barreling towards guests and at 80 pounds of muscle he's scary! I used to tell people to just not touch or make eye contact, until one day he tore a steak off a barrel planter and tossed it at my shoer striking him in the face, he had a shiner like he had gone 10 rounds. I was so embarassed, once the meter man came and tossed a cuz to my JRT , the Shepherd was in the garage and looking out the window, he went nuts, jumped THREW the plate glass window and never missed a beat retreiving the Cuz, he came back bleeding from his chest and neck and never showed any discomfort! He's insane!!!!

INTCH, U-GRCH V Alta-Tollhaus Gavin schH3, UWP, KKL1a, OFA EXCELLENT, DM-Clear
MHDW ( Most Handsome Dog In World)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Crowned Member

Cody only shows off to the people he knows. One of his favorite guests, is one of my best friends and he goes NUTS, complete bonkers over her. He'll run a few laps around the house and then will attempt to jump on her and then runs some more, and then he he MUST sniff her clothes, her bags, everything on her. He'll grab one of many squeaker balls laying around the house and squeak it till it doesn't squeak anymore. With the people he doesn't know, he'll go lay down somewhere since they aren't of interest to him.
Isa on the other hand loves ANYONE. She goes crazy and does the "wiggly" butt dance until everyone has sat down, even then she gets in there face and demands attention but she does it politely. She'll sit and wag her tail and wait for the person to pet her. Just like Cody, Isa has a fravorite person. Another one of my friends makes her go insane. Isa can't contain herself around her. She'll whine and cry and wag her butt so hard you think it's gonna fall off! And then once she's noticed, she'll dive bomb to the floor and show her tummy with all fours in the air. By dive bombing, I mean running full force and slamming into the ground, now that HAS to hurt!
One of my cats named Dallas, loves people to no end. He'll head butt everyone to get attention and then once he has it, he'll meow and purr and rub his body on you. He's a real expert at head butting, lol.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page