Car interior - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Car interior

I've been thinking about getting a new car this year and wondered what type of interior you feel is best suited for your dog(s). I have a dark colored fabric now and always keep a towel on the back seat but was just curious what other people feel works best for them.
I've allowed for multiple boxes to be checked in the poll so please include whichever apply.

Sean: Adopted July 1999
Neely: Adopted May 2005, LH Tabby/Tortie
Gizmo: Bi-color Persian 2009
Neeko: Purr-fect Persian Cat (3/91 - 1/05)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Car interior

LIGHT COLOR. MUCH cooler in the summer. I personally don't like leather. Hot and sticky in the summer, and cold in the winter. Course you could always use seat covers, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having leather in the first place.

Leather is better for getting rid of dog hair though!

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

My current Yulkon has black leather. Defintely hides Rocky fur. LOL Leather in the winter isnt bad but I would defintely recommend heated seats.

Leather is so much easier to clean, and I have done light cloth and dark leather. Definitely prefer the dark leather.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Caja's Mom

I had light leather in my last car and now have a truck with light fabric. I so wish I had the leather back. It is so easy to clean and vacuum the fur doesn't stick anywhere but the floor. The color I would say really depends on the climate and color of your dog. I have sables so the lighter color works better along with the heat issue in the summer.

~Trish~

SG Emir (Errow) van Klipgaarden SchH 3, AWD 1, AD, KKL 1, ONYX, CGC

V Ziberia (Panther) v alten Wingertshaus IPO 1, AD, FDX, CGC
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD

When I got my car I didn't care what kind of interior it had. I thought it was nice that it had leather, but I really didn't care. Now that I am shopping for a new car, leather seats is my 1st requirement.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 PM

Leather is so much easier to keep clean. Our big Toyota truck has leather, the little truck has fabric. I am always having to work at keeping the little truck clean inside. I usually put a blanket down on the leather seat too. It is personal preference, but I like the easy cleaning of leather.
Have fun car shopping!

Terri

Terri

Ruger vom Kraftwerk- Black GSD 5/06
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Mom2RugerHave fun car shopping!
Thanks, I already know the type and model, I'm a long time Honda fan but still up in the air about the interior. All the comments really help.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Crowned Member

What kind of Honda are you looking at? DH and I bought a CRV in 1999 and I loved that car. Of course we outgrew it with the boys and especially now that we have Rocky.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

The fabric upholstry in my ancient '91 ford truck has been easy to shed dog hair & brush dirt off of. It's a medium to dark grey and has a slight nap. Some of the rental cars I've had have been real bas**rds for hair removal/soil showing. It's going to depend upon the fabric itself more than just whether it is fabric or light or dark. Ask for a sample of the upholstry fabric, take it home & rub your dog(s) with it. Or test drive a car with fabric upholstry with your dog along for the ride.

BTW I've never bought a new car so I've always had what someone else's choice. I had initially thought the fabric seats in the ford would be a major problem. They weren't. The nap is all gone on my side (17 years of my fat butt scooching in) & they've endured a couple of failures when I forgot to have pups void their bladders before loading up after being under anesthesia at the vets.. For about 12 years the seats held up fine.... (including my side!)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DSuddWhat kind of Honda are you looking at? DH and I bought a CRV in 1999 and I loved that car.
I have a 1998 CRV and love it also, not quite ready to give it up yet since I take very good care of it but have been checking out the newer CRV's since the style changed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page