Saturday, so you want to be a breeder... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-12-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Saturday, so you want to be a breeder...

Ok, so I have a pen out front that I haven't used in over a year, since my last litter was Uzzi's and she is probably 15 months old or more.

Well the wind and the weeds got it. I had a nice picnic table in there with a canopy over it, but the wind got the canopy, and that went down. The weeds in the whole area were over my head. It was a mess.

The baby puppy turned 3 weeks old on Thursday, and this time of year ya never know in NE Ohio. So, I called my sister and asked her what she was doing on Saturday. She was willing to pick up the cedar chips and help me with the project. I work second shift, so I checked the weather and it was supposed to be crappy and cold in the morning, but much nicer in the afternoon, so I told her afternoon.

I went to bed at 4:40, expecting to sleep until 11 or so, like usual.

Wrong!!!

9:36am, I get a call. We are at the Madison Tractor Supply and they don't have Cedar chips. Totally groggy, I explained what they were, she said they only have them for small animals. Finally, I asked to talk to the sales clerk, and totally sleeping, I am saying to the lady, "you have them, they are on a skid in the back," she said she would call back there. Yep, they had them. It was a $170 purchase, which isn't incredible or anything, but this lady was trying to send my sister to Madison Pet and Garden. And me, I have set foot in that store for a year, ever since we dropped 45 of them into the middle of rt. 20, and I knew they had them.

But whatever. I tried to go back to sleep, but decided she is probably going to come out here now. She did. She was there about 10:30. I was already weeding the kennel and dragging it with a muck bucket around the kennels behind my shed and into the ravine -- just weeds and wood chips. My hands were soaked through the gardening gloves. Larry sent me some of his, I put them out and they were rubber on one side. Only he sent me two left hands. Ok, better than nothing, and the other gloves were soaking. I wanted to go to drug mart and get more, but Lisa wanted to get started so we began in earnest.

We pulled down the 10x20' canopy tarp and started piling the weeds on that, and then the two of us dragged that over the edge of the ravine. That was miserable. I thought I was going to die. Finally after two of those, I told her I had to go and buy gloves. So we went to drug mart, and the bank machine, so I could pay her for the wood chips.

Then we went back out there. I think we filled the tarp up 2 or 3 more times, and then we dragged out the igloo and put the picnic table up on top of the fencing. Raked the chips that were there to make things relatively flat and then she carried the chips from the car, 20 bricks of them, while I removed the gate panels and added a panel, so that now the gate in front of my front door has this gate inside, so I can let the puppies in or out without giving my girl free access to the street. Kool! I wanted to do that for a while.

She spread the chips while I filled the swimming pool and cleaned out the igloo. We pulled the picnic table down, and cleaned the water bucket. I made her a dish pan of hot soapy water to clean the picnic table with. I built a coolaroo cot. I gave her the job of getting all the tags off of all the toys, and I set up the tunnels. They're not quite ready for them yet though. I dragged a bale of straw out of the shed and filled the igloo with straw.

Finally, I went in and brought out the puppies, and Karma. They are little and it was cold. They piled together on the ground. I fixed collars on them all, and cut 164 toe nails. My sister left at 2:30, so that took four hours.

She said, when I had Karma and the puppies in there, that now she understands why I would give up my whole Saturday to do stuff for the dogs.
I offered to take her to dinner, but she was so tired, she was going to take a nap, I said how about dinner tonight? She said she'd call.

I went in and ate some leftovers, came out with food for Karma, then back in to finish a puzzle and listen to my audio book. My sister called, ok, she will. We decided on 7pm because I still had work to do. Finally, I went out and took care of the rest of my critters. I got through with Bear and Tinny's kennel and walked into the baby's kennel and just stood watching them while Karma fed them. Then I saw either eagles or turkey buzzards circling. I put the babies in the igloo and told Karma to take care of them. They had been piled which means they are cold.

I went and cleaned the kennels and gave food and water, and brought out a 5 gallon bucket and fished the toasty warm puppies out of the igloo, and relocated them back into the house. I looked at the clock and it was 6:30 and I had to meet my sister half an hour away. I rushed in to change my clothes and looked at the babies on the way back out. It seems that the little stint outside really woke them up. All eight of them were sitting up facing each other and really checking each other out. The house is warmer than the outside. It is 42 out there now, but tomorrow it should be 60-70s so that will be good. We take every day we can get from here on out.

I am in the pictures with the sausages, so I am not going to show one of those, but this is the kennel we worked on today. I should have done before and after photos, but I did not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	puppy kennel 2019_IMG_5267.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	526223  

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Crowned Member

Great job! Looks like a fabulous place to play.
Kudos to Sis for helping, it sounds like a huge job.
selzer likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-12-2019, 10:23 PM

I love reading your threads! Very nice setup you've got there. I'm not a breeder but I have worked at several boarding kennels as well as a breeding farm(horses) so I understand the shear amount of work you do every day just to keep the critters fed and watered much less cleaned pens and exercise and training etc. Great Job!
selzer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Koda (Nov 2009- ) AKA Bug
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-12-2019, 10:34 PM
Banned

Holy puppy heaven. Can I go there when I’m reincarnated into a GSD pup? I’m pretty sure my girls don’t have that nice of a setup, and they're human.

But no Sue, never. Never ever ever ever never ever ever want to be a breeder! I give you mad props for doing it, I only know how much work goes into it from 4 weeks on, I’ve never had to deal with a pregnant bitch, whelping, or those first super important 4 weeks. I can’t imagine doing it from beginning to end.
selzer likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-12-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
Holy puppy heaven. Can I go there when Iím reincarnated into a GSD pup? Iím pretty sure my girls donít have that nice of a setup, and they're human.

But no Sue, never. Never ever ever ever never ever ever want to be a breeder! I give you mad props for doing it, I only know how much work goes into it from 4 weeks on, Iíve never had to deal with a pregnant bitch, whelping, or those first super important 4 weeks. I canít imagine doing it from beginning to end.
The bitches do the majority of the work for the first 3 weeks anyway, they feed them, clean, them and are with them 24/7. Without a bitch, it would be so hard, the entire time.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-12-2019, 10:45 PM
Knighted Member

Looks great! Now you can relax tomorrow and hope the Browns decide to show up for their game. So nice of your sister to pitch in. I (we) would love to see puppy pictures..
selzer likes this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-12-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

And, they get a whole lot squirmier when you are cutting toenails. Today, I did all of them in almost no time at all.

Didn't nick any quicks either. That's always good.
ksotto333 and tim_s_adams like this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-12-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
Looks great! Now you can relax tomorrow and hope the Browns decide to show up for their game. So nice of your sister to pitch in. I (we) would love to see puppy pictures..
LOL, they are just a pile of pups in the pictures, and there's a bit o me in there, so it won't be posted. I break cameras. Not sure what I do to video devices and computers.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-12-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

And the girls are coming tomorrow to see puppies, not sure if I will be able to see the game. I hope so. Been rooting for them for half a century, ain't about to stop now,

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-12-2019, 11:57 PM
Crowned Member

Want to be a breeder? No thanks! One dog is enough for me now! I'm in awe of your commitment to your dogs!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in