What/who else did you train besides dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

What/who else did you train besides dogs?

Just wrote a reply to another thread but decided to ask around what else or who else you did train beside dogs?
For me it was that rooster in the other thread. Also a Koi Carp; he came when I tapped the side of the pond. He followed me when I walked around the pond. I now understand why you would take a fish to a 'fishy' vet. I miss that fish. We moved oversees so couldn't take him. It shows that training bonds you with the animal (or person).
I have trained my pet rats with the clicker: hilarious! One took the clicker to her nest as a valuable resource. They came when I called them during free ranging in the house; sat up so I could pick them up and put them in their cage (huge rewards then).
Even my pet mousies wake up and show up on their platforms when I call them. All this has been accomplished by rewarding them with their favorite treats and to stay out of their grey zones at first.
I am currently working with the wild turkeys.....along with Deja
Benjaminb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:03 PM
Crowned Member

When my wife say's "Move", I move. I taught her that.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
When my wife say's "Move", I move. I taught her that.
Are you sure it wasn't the other way around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:58 AM

I taught a chicken to jump thru hoops.
Benjaminb likes this.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:04 AM
Elite Member

I taught our 5 children to do their own laundry while in high school, and cook. Survival skills, for me not them.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:04 AM
Master Member

I’ve broken in a few horses in my time, and trained some in barrel racing, some for trail work, some to herd.

I used to hand feed and train “exotic” birds. Cockatoo’s, parrots, macaws, African greys, finches, white doves. That was when I was much younger though, it was what my grandmother did for a living (breeding), and she got me into it.

I’ve raised bottle calf’s, but that wasn’t really training. Unless you count them running when they heard bottles or feed.

I trained my older boys (21 and 19 now) to be completely self sufficient. And trained my girls (9 and 7) that I’m their personal maid and assistant.

I trained my body to shut down and sleep when I’m in pain. That one is pretty **** handy!
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:08 AM
Elite Member

Trained my first parakeet to talk. Trained my heart cat to come when called but that really wasnít a training effort, he just came when I called him of his own accord.

Have trained every family member not to interrupt me while training my boy. Some were trained quicker than others. Yes I used corrections. Lol

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:43 AM
Master Member

Trained our guinea pigs to allow petting and being picked up: Method was to sit quietly on floor holding bits of carrots and lettuce...they will come snuffling over and climb all over our legs. Eventually they didn't care if you pet/touch them, and eventually they did't care if you gently scoop your hand under them and pick them up.

And trained my girls to make and bring me a bowl of microwave popcorn when I'm in TV couch potato mode! Feels luxurious!
Benjaminb likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:44 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
Trained my first parakeet to talk.
what did he say??! did he just repeat what you said, or did he have thoughts?!

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:03 AM
Elite Member

Iím sure he had thoughts lol but nope, just repeated what I taught. Going way back as I was about 12 at the time. Said Happy which was his name. Pretty boy, hi and a few other words that I canít remember. My moms friend tried to teach him my last name but it was multi syllable and she just didnít come over enough and I had no ambition to teach it.

Took a while and persistence for the first but got easier with the rest.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page