Oh deer! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Oh deer!

I was taking Zelda for her daily off leash walk in the park yesterday, we was on our way back to the car when she veered off the walking path a little. I stopped because I figured she must have to potty, but instead a fawn comes walking up to us! She was a very young fawn and apparently hungry because she tried to nurse off of Zelda Lol. I put it back in the brush and started to walk away, but she kept following us.

So I called a friend who is a wildlife rehabilitator to ask her what I should do. Normally she said she would just say walk away fast and leave it there, mom will be back later when it gets dark. Unfortunately though it is a pretty popular walking path and like myself people do let there well behaved dogs off leash, and because she was following me to take the fawn with me so that the wrong person doesn't get her. We would go back to the park with her in the evening to try and find mom.

So at 8:30 we met up at the park, I showed her exactly where the fawn was. We sat the baby down in the brush and of course as soon as we tried to walk away she followed, so we tried again to put her in the brush and hid from her. She just kept wandering on the path, which is what she was afraid of happening. So she held her and made her cry so mom could hear her since we saw no sign of mom. After a couple of minutes we heard some branches snapping, then a big splash in the creek, so we sat the fawn down and ran and hid. We could her mom calling to her baby, but she wouldn't come out of brush to get her. We quietly left hoping that it was enough to get the fawn to follow moms sound. I was instructed to go to the area today and make sure mom and baby were reunited, we are pretty hopeful that they were!

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:42 AM
Crowned Member

Oh wow that had to be quiet an adventure! . Some deer I know the ones at the beach (people hand feeding them which is not good for them )when all is quite after the crowd leaves and they smell food can be outright invasive looking for food trying to get in your pockets. They sure would not do this with the dogs around though. That fawn must of been starving. It sounds like there was a reunion. The beauty of spring!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:46 AM

Mom chose the wrong spot to leave her babyI'm glad you were able to help.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:53 AM
Elite Member

This is a really good story and kudos to you, your friend and especially Zelda for her gentleness. Looking forward to an update and hope that you find nothing. It does sound like they were reunited.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:30 PM
Master Member

Very nice story.
Your Zelda is so good!

My dog sees deer and is like, I'm gonna chase you...leap on you...maybe rip your throat out...sigh.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Went back this morning and there was no sign of the fawn! We are pretty confident that the was reunited. Our guess is that since she was next to the soccer field, mom must have gotten spooked when they started to mow.

I went back in the afternoon for Zeldas usual walk still didn't see any fawn, but boy was Zelda distracted! She went and sniffed the area that we first found the fawn then she walked down to the creek where we heard mom, and finally she was really sniffing an area close by in the open field, that I am wondering if thats where mom gave birth. I have never seen her nose to the ground so hard before, we don't do tracking, but she looked like the videos I have seen of dogs tracking.

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:04 PM
Elite Member

What a nice story. That would be an amazing experience. So glad that mother and fawn were likely reunited. Sounds like Zelda was a very good girl. Did you happen to get pictures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page