Need advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Need advice

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a sad story. I have a 3 year, 4 month old GSD. We got him at 8 weeks old and he has never been without me, I'm retired and stay home every day. I have treated Tian (my GSD'S name) like a son. He was aggressive at 8 weeks old, would bite all the time. We thought over time he would get over that, no so. If he was a human he would already have had a heart attack or nervous breakdown. He stays in the "alert" mode every time we leave the house. If he sees another dog walking on a leash he goes crazy. I started using a pinch collar about a year and a half ago and that has helped. I could eat out of his food dish if I chose to, nothing bothers him in that respect. We play all the time, catch, Frisbee and 4 walks a day. He doesn't like people, and I mean anybody. We socialized him at PetSmart numerous times to no avail.
He has chewed about everything in the house, so we decided to let that run its course and just replace everything afterward.
Here is my problem, and a serious one. I came home the other day saw the carpet in a pile after he chewed it. He was standing next to me so I reached down and slid my hand thru his collar, like I have done many times before, to scold him. I have never hit him and never will. I scold him with words and he understands what I say. He is the most intelligent dog I have ever had. At that moment all **** broke loose, he lifted his lip, growled and attacked me like I've never seen before. Seemed like a mili-second and I was bleeding all over the place. He bit my upper arm and punctured it top and bottom. I was trying my best to pull his head off my arm and he got me two more times before I held his head away from me. My wife came out of the bedroom screaming. I held my dog down on the floor by the back of his collar for about 30 to 40 seconds. I started to release him a little at a time. He did not growl or make any aggressive moves from that point on. I let him go and he went into the kitchen. My wife doctored me up and I cleaned the blood from the carpet. I don't think I can trust him ever again. I will say that since that time, he is a different dog, and I mean that in a good way. He minds better and has a different attitude about everything. It was a week ago today that this happened. 5-12-19. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Richie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:21 PM
Elite Member

Complete vet work up. Blood work to test thyroid..check for any pain..if not get a great and experienced trainer. Rage syndrome is not at all common but not unheard of. I know personally of one Rescue GSD that was put down with it. Determined by VERY experienced working dog people. But pain or things like brain tumors can cause drastic changes in dogs. Go to Leerbug.com and read about what a dominant dog vs an aggressive dog is. And about a dominant dog collar. Prayers for you and the dog as I can only imagine how you feel.
crittersitter likes this.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Hi everyone, I have a bit of a sad story. I have a 3 year, 4 month old GSD. We got him at 8 weeks old and he has never been without me, I'm retired and stay home every day. I have treated Tian (my GSD'S name) like a son. He was aggressive at 8 weeks old, would bite all the time. We thought over time he would get over that, no so. If he was a human he would already have had a heart attack or nervous breakdown. He stays in the "alert" mode every time we leave the house. If he sees another dog walking on a leash he goes crazy. I started using a pinch collar about a year and a half ago and that has helped. I could eat out of his food dish if I chose to, nothing bothers him in that respect. We play all the time, catch, Frisbee and 4 walks a day. He doesn't like people, and I mean anybody. We socialized him at PetSmart numerous times to no avail.
He has chewed about everything in the house, so we decided to let that run its course and just replace everything afterward.
Here is my problem, and a serious one. I came home the other day saw the carpet in a pile after he chewed it. He was standing next to me so I reached down and slid my hand thru his collar, like I have done many times before, to scold him. I have never hit him and never will. I scold him with words and he understands what I say. He is the most intelligent dog I have ever had. At that moment all **** broke loose, he lifted his lip, growled and attacked me like I've never seen before. Seemed like a mili-second and I was bleeding all over the place. He bit my upper arm and punctured it top and bottom. I was trying my best to pull his head off my arm and he got me two more times before I held his head away from me. My wife came out of the bedroom screaming. I held my dog down on the floor by the back of his collar for about 30 to 40 seconds. I started to release him a little at a time. He did not growl or make any aggressive moves from that point on. I let him go and he went into the kitchen. My wife doctored me up and I cleaned the blood from the carpet. I don't think I can trust him ever again. I will say that since that time, he is a different dog, and I mean that in a good way. He minds better and has a different attitude about everything. It was a week ago today that this happened. 5-12-19. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Richie.
Post your location and some of the members here should be able to recommend a trainer. Not a petsmart or your local force free trainer, but an actual trainer who knows how to deal with this. @Jax08, lol, usually knows where to find one.
In the meantime I second the vet exam, full work up. Rule out any medical. But the fact that he is being good now speaks volumes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Post your location and some of the members here should be able to recommend a trainer. Not a petsmart or your local force free trainer, but an actual trainer who knows how to deal with this. lol, usually knows where to find one.
In the meantime I second the vet exam, full work up. Rule out any medical. But the fact that he is being good now speaks volumes.
Sabis mom, thank you for your response. Tian had his complete annual checkup last month, all was normal. Since that happened he has been the perfect buddy that is was previously. I've never been around any dog that stares right thru you with the most intense stare like he does, it's incredible. Live just outside Atl. GA Thanks again. Richie
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbyte View Post
Complete vet work up. Blood work to test thyroid..check for any pain..if not get a great and experienced trainer. Rage syndrome is not at all common but not unheard of. I know personally of one Rescue GSD that was put down with it. Determined by VERY experienced working dog people. But pain or things like brain tumors can cause drastic changes in dogs. Go to Leerbug.com and read about what a dominant dog vs an aggressive dog is. And about a dominant dog collar. Prayers for you and the dog as I can only imagine how you feel.
Thank you dogbyte, as I mentioned to Sabis mom, my dog had is annual checkup last month and all was OK. Not sure how in depth the checkup was but Tian has been his normal self since. Nobody can approach him, he won't let anyone outside the family near him or us. I will go to Leebug.com. Thanks again. Richie
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:50 PM
Knighted Member

You have a 3 1/2 yr old dog that has no respect for you! So my advice would be to hire a good, balanced trainer with GSD-specific experience to help you!

From your description of events I'd say this outcome was pretty predictable. Here's why I say that: I have never grabbed my dog's collar to correct or control her ever! I have never held any dog down by their neck, or physically put them on their back ever, nor would I! The fact that you have, and do, speaks volumes about your relationship with your dog.

Chewing up your furniture, barking and being out of control around people or dogs, and being allowed to do so since he was 8 weeks old?! Did you think he'd somehow grow out of that without guidance? Lots of puppies act this way, and they require firm and consistent guidance to learn that this kind of behavior is not acceptable! But physically grabbing and/or holding your dog on his back as a means of communication is also not needed, nor is it productive! You set yourself and your dog, however well intentioned, up for the ultimate confrontation you experienced.

If you want to move forward in a productive way with this dog, hire a good trainer to help you both communicate with each other in a more productive way.
GatorBytes and Sunsilver like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:08 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah.... You are fortunate that your dog hasn't had an obstruction. So if you can post your location, maybe someone can help you with a trainer. But be prepared for his entire life to change, starting with crating. Strict rules, no more Doggie Daddy. Strict obedience. Strict rules. Crated when left alone. He doesn't have to like people or other dogs. He does have to respect their right to breathe.

On a side note, 8 week old puppies are not "aggressive". This breed is called landsharks for a reason. It's our responsibility to teach them what they can and can not bite - many MANY threads on this forum on that. And it's our responsibility to teach them that eating our homes is not acceptable. If this is done at a young age then the situation never evolves into a bite to the owner.

So do the medical work up if you feel necessary but I'm on the find a good trainer bandwagon. The fact that you were able to pull his head off of your arm, regardless of the severity of the first bite which sounds like a full bite, tells me he wasn't trying to kill you.
tc68 and Sabis mom like this.

post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:41 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Richie, I sent via private msge the name and phone # of the trainer I used with Woolf. She is in the Gwinnett area and depending on your location in GA, well worth the drive.

Completely agree with with previous posts. Medical exam. Crate training. Muzzle conditioning. High level of OB.

Whichever trainer you do decide to go with; verify their experience. Unfortunately, we have a huge number of less then knowledgeable 'trainers' in GA. You want a balanced trainer, not positive only.
tc68, Jax08 and Sabis mom like this.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
You have a 3 1/2 yr old dog that has no respect for you! So my advice would be to hire a good, balanced trainer with GSD-specific experience to help you!

From your description of events I'd say this outcome was pretty predictable. Here's why I say that: I have never grabbed my dog's collar to correct or control her ever! I have never held any dog down by their neck, or physically put them on their back ever, nor would I! The fact that you have, and do, speaks volumes about your relationship with your dog.

Chewing up your furniture, barking and being out of control around people or dogs, and being allowed to do so since he was 8 weeks old?! Did you think he'd somehow grow out of that without guidance? Lots of puppies act this way, and they require firm and consistent guidance to learn that this kind of behavior is not acceptable! But physically grabbing and/or holding your dog on his back as a means of communication is also not needed, nor is it productive! You set yourself and your dog, however well intentioned, up for the ultimate confrontation you experienced.

If you want to move forward in a productive way with this dog, hire a good trainer to help you both communicate with each other in a more productive way.
Hi Tim, I appreciate your comment. First lets get something straight, you said ""But physically grabbing and/or holding your dog on his back as a means of communication is also not needed, nor is it productive!"" Where did you get that from?? I have NEVER done that to my dog, PERIOD.
I was defending myself from further violence and being bitten more, that is the first time I ever did that!! When I put my hand under my dog's collar every day and talk to him I scratch his neck where the collar rides, and he loves it. I am the most gentle person a dog could ever have. I lay down on the floor with my dog every day and we talk, he follows me everywhere I go. We have what I call " quiet time" I take him in the bedroom and I just flop on the bed and he jumps up next to and we just lay there together for 15 minutes, we do this every morning. I have NEVER mistreated my dog, I treat him like a human. Many times during the day he will come to me and stand there until I put my forehead down against his forehead just rub our heads together.
As far as your other comments about getting a trainer I agree with. Richie
Jax08 and Mudypoz like this.
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Yeah.... You are fortunate that your dog hasn't had an obstruction. So if you can post your location, maybe someone can help you with a trainer. But be prepared for his entire life to change, starting with crating. Strict rules, no more Doggie Daddy. Strict obedience. Strict rules. Crated when left alone. He doesn't have to like people or other dogs. He does have to respect their right to breathe.

On a side note, 8 week old puppies are not "aggressive". This breed is called landsharks for a reason. It's our responsibility to teach them what they can and can not bite - many MANY threads on this forum on that. And it's our responsibility to teach them that eating our homes is not acceptable. If this is done at a young age then the situation never evolves into a bite to the owner.

So do the medical work up if you feel necessary but I'm on the find a good trainer bandwagon. The fact that you were able to pull his head off of your arm, regardless of the severity of the first bite which sounds like a full bite, tells me he wasn't trying to kill you.
Thanks Jax08, I appreciate your helpful comments. Richie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page