Need advice - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:37 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Sabis mom, thank you for your response. Tian had his complete annual checkup last month, all was normal. Since that happened he has been the perfect buddy that is was previously. I've never been around any dog that stares right thru you with the most intense stare like he does, it's incredible. Live just outside Atl. GA Thanks again. Richie

My Bud had that intense stare. I used to caution people to watch his eyes, because when they went really still someone was about to get bit.
He was a big, powerful, bull headed beast that responded best to rigid structure, strict obedience and clear rules. We rubbed along just fine for 13 years once I figured all that out. He did not like people in general and as was mentioned he didn't need to, but he absolutely needed to respect their right to live.
My guess is that your guy will come around although you are likely to experience some initial push back. I would definitely start with a muzzle if you haven't already. Crate training needs to happen and I get the sense you are very non confrontational with him, best get over that right about now. No need to pick fights but there is little chance of success here if he thinks he can push you around.
Would love to see some pictures if you can.
tc68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
My Bud had that intense stare. I used to caution people to watch his eyes, because when they went really still someone was about to get bit.
He was a big, powerful, bull headed beast that responded best to rigid structure, strict obedience and clear rules. We rubbed along just fine for 13 years once I figured all that out. He did not like people in general and as was mentioned he didn't need to, but he absolutely needed to respect their right to live.
My guess is that your guy will come around although you are likely to experience some initial push back. I would definitely start with a muzzle if you haven't already. Crate training needs to happen and I get the sense you are very non confrontational with him, best get over that right about now. No need to pick fights but there is little chance of success here if he thinks he can push you around.
Would love to see some pictures if you can.
Thank you for that great and helpful response Sabis mom. My wife says I have spoiled him too much. I brush him every day and he goes to sleep most of the time. I was not strict enough with him in the past, I know that. I loved him first and then trained him second. He will do whatever I ask of him while we are at home alone. I read a lot about the GSD before and after we got him. Most of what I read was about becoming the ALPHA, leader and so on. I never tried to become that, I just wanted a happy healthy buddy. I'll try and find some pics of just him and not me with him. Thanks again Sabis mom. Richie.
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
Richie, I sent via private msge the name and phone # of the trainer I used with Woolf. She is in the Gwinnett area and depending on your location in GA, well worth the drive.

Completely agree with with previous posts. Medical exam. Crate training. Muzzle conditioning. High level of OB.

Whichever trainer you do decide to go with; verify their experience. Unfortunately, we have a huge number of less then knowledgeable 'trainers' in GA. You want a balanced trainer, not positive only.
Twyla, I sent you a PM, thanks. Richie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

@Richie - I just saw your introduction post and your age. With no disrespect meant and only concern. I would be telling my dad the very same thing I'm telling you.

Please Please Please get a good trainer. This is a young, powerful, male. I think you are very lucky that you were able to overcome him and that he exercised some inhibition by allowing it. I really feel this is a training issue and possibly a dog that has had no rules. Please be realistic about what is best for you and your wife to keep you safe. This could have ended so very badly. I hope Twyla's trainer works out for you.
sit,stay, tc68, Nigel and 3 others like this.

post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:35 AM

I agree with people who posted that the dog showed a lot of inhibition here. Had he wanted to hurt you badly, he very well could have. This tells me, without seeing the dog of course, that is it mainly a training issue and not something new or medical.

I do know of a great trainer in North Carolina, if you wanted to make a drive.

But please find and start working with an experienced trainer. As in immediately. He is now a fully mature male dog who will start testing and already has... it isn't too late to turn this around, but it needs to start now.
Jax08 likes this.
post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Most of what I read was about becoming the ALPHA, leader and so on. I never tried to become that, I just wanted a happy healthy buddy. I'll try and find some pics of just him and not me with him. Thanks again Sabis mom. Richie.
The "alpha" thing is bull. The person who did the wolf study and came up with that has long since retracted his theory.

You need to be a leader. You need to be respected. You need to be TRUSTED. Not only to trusted to be fair but also to be a leader. Please make sure the trainer you find is balanced, positive based with fair corrections.
tc68, Sabis mom and Skyefoxx like this.

post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:57 AM
Master Member

It sounds like a temperament problem more than a training or medical problem, as the dog has been this way from the beginning. Your description sounds like he is a sharp-shy dog who is reactive out of fear and insecurity. The constant destructiveness supports that he is a very anxious dog. "The sharp-shy dog is the epitome of bad temperament. He is easily driven to panic by the unfamiliar... This psychologically unstable animal will, if the occasion arises, bite one of its owners in blind panic without even being aware of having done so." Often this type of dog is put down/euthanized.
crittersitter likes this.

Last edited by Chip Blasiole; 05-20-2019 at 12:00 PM.
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
@Richie - I just saw your introduction post and your age. With no disrespect meant and only concern. I would be telling my dad the very same thing I'm telling you.

Please Please Please get a good trainer. This is a young, powerful, male. I think you are very lucky that you were able to overcome him and that he exercised some inhibition by allowing it. I really feel this is a training issue and possibly a dog that has had no rules. Please be realistic about what is best for you and your wife to keep you safe. This could have ended so very badly. I hope Twyla's trainer works out for you.
Jax08, I completely understand your comments and greatly appreciate your concern. My dog is 98 lbs and very muscular, he tracks down 30 to 40 Frisbees every day as fast as he can run. I will do research into finding training help. Twyla has suggested a trainer and I will follow up. Thanks once again. Richie.
Jax08 and Mudypoz like this.
post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
It sounds like a temperament problem more than a training or medical problem, as the dog has been this way from the beginning. Your description sounds like he is a sharp-shy dog who is reactive out of fear and insecurity. The constant destructiveness supports that he is a very anxious dog. "The sharp-shy dog is the epitome of bad temperament. He is easily driven to panic by the unfamiliar... This psychologically unstable animal will, if the occasion arises, bite one of its owners in blind panic without even being aware of having done so." Often this type of dog is put down/euthanized.
Thanks Chip for your comment. My dog is back to "better" than normal to this point. We rubbed heads this morning and I brushed him until he fell asleep. I think he has been and probably is a fearful dog, when anyone approaches me or my wife the dog's hair stands up on the back of his neck and butt and he growls very aggressively. When I let him out into the fenced back yard he takes off like a jet with his hair standing up, I guess he thinks something might be out there. I have no intention of getting rid of him, I will work thru this. I raised my two previous GSDs back in the 60"s the same way I raised my current dog and they were both perfect loveable dogs. Again, thanks Chip. Richie.
Mudypoz likes this.
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
I agree with people who posted that the dog showed a lot of inhibition here. Had he wanted to hurt you badly, he very well could have. This tells me, without seeing the dog of course, that is it mainly a training issue and not something new or medical.

I do know of a great trainer in North Carolina, if you wanted to make a drive.

But please find and start working with an experienced trainer. As in immediately. He is now a fully mature male dog who will start testing and already has... it isn't too late to turn this around, but it needs to start now.
Thanks Saco, I do have a lead on a trainer close by and will get in touch. Richie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page