Tank ate the Easter Bunny... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Its that time of year again and the bunnies are out in full force. You'd think they'd stay away from a house that smells like predators, but I've been seeing bunny poops in my yard. It turns out my old neighbor used to feed them - she would put out her old produce for them...

Tank came in with what looked like a bloody spot on his side, after checking him over I realized he wasn't hurt so I let him outside and he led me to the bunny nest he found. There was half a bunny left. The good news is that I can take high value treats from him no problem and his drop it/leave it have gotten really good. The bad news is he ate a lot of bunnies and has had the runs, waking up whining to go outside in the middle of the night...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_083011_1556202198057.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	520381  

1 big goofy shepherd, 1 ornery old corgi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:44 AM
Master Member

I caught my dog with a dead bunny in his mouth the other week and he outed it for me. I think last week he ate one or some bunnies and developed acute gastritis and colitis and I had to take him to the vet because he was vomiting a lot of bile and was pretty sick, but is back to normal. I had a female GSD come across a bunny and she crushed his head in one bite and swallowed it whole.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

I grew up with indoor/outdoor cats that would regularly bring us 'presents' so this was nothing new. He is the first dog I've had that has been able to get a hold of a bunny though, my corgi used to try but they were always too fast. This is also the first time they've had babies in our yard since we moved here, hopefully it'll be a while before they try again...

1 big goofy shepherd, 1 ornery old corgi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:14 PM

One of my GSD's used to find dead carcasses of squirrels and eat them before I could stop her. Crazy dog! I sure do miss that old girl.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:26 PM
Crowned Member

Make sure to deworm him. Bunnies have fleas and tapeworms.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:30 PM
Master Member

Most of the GSDs I have had, had a feral/predatory streak in them. We have a pond and one year several wild ducks appeared and each day one of my dogs chased them in the water until she caught one and brought it up to the back door. I have seen them work as a team also, trying to drive a critter to each other. Groundhogs never stood a chance. Even some of the neighborhood cats went missing, but they made the mistake of coming into our fenced yard.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:38 PM
Crowned Member

It's what they do. He choose a prey model diet. Hope your neighbor doesn't find out.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:45 PM
Master Member

The neighbor died too, but my dogs didn't have anything to do with that.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:10 PM
Elite Member

My dad's GSDs use to constantly get off the property and raid bunny hutches Always had to worm those dogs. Between the deer they would bring down..the bunny raids, chicken coop raids. The one came home with a well deserved butt full of buckshot. It was farmland, it happened all the time, and it was understood raiding dogs would be shot. Our dogs were stealth and quite good. My father had to monetarily compensate plenty of neighboring farms. I dont agree with it, but hey I was a teen and not in charge. Anywho, yeah they would get worms.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:56 PM
Crowned Member

Sasha had a regular cemetery at our old house (my husband insisted on giving her victims a proper burial...) She was a true serial killer - killed but never consumed. Killed for the sake of killing

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page