• 1 Post By CometDog
  • 1 Post By raff
  • 1 Post By Nikka Khrystyne
  • 1 Post By techinstructor

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Update on the Weberhaus Bobsey Twins

A very happy update!

My beloved Czech boy, Raff z Weberhaus came to us nearly two years ago now. He is wonderful, good drives, nice house dog, stable temperament, excellent health. I have not had him x rayed yet; no plans to breed. But, observing this gazelle/mountain goat hybrid makes me think there won’t be any surprises. He is quite the elite athlete.

Raff is also super social and good with kids and other dogs. Extremely smart, learns very quickly, loving and affectionate. In essence, exactly dog I wanted.

He grew up under the watchful eye of our beloved Lexi, a then seven year old W Ger showline. She did a fine job with him and they were great playmates.

We lost her at Christmas time, totally unexpectedly, to a tumor. We were gutted. And Raff lost his play friend.

Nobody could wear Raffie out the way Lexi could.

Once we were ready, naturally, we went back to Malinda. I put a deposit on a female puppy from an upcoming breeding.

Then, you cross your fingers. You have to hope that the breeding will happen. Then you have to say a little prayer to the puppy gods that it will take.

And you have to wait. A lot.

I am not good at that.

But, the universe had another plan.

Literally, the next day, Raff’s full sister became available. Her former owner had returned her to Malinda for truly stupid reasons, ie she “hooped a 4 ft fence. Or, as the staff at out vet’s correctly rephrased it, “she *stepped over* a 4 foot fence”. What kind of a nit keeps an adult German Shepherd, unsupervised, behind a 4 ft fence?

Evidently, she was left outside a lot, which violated her contract with Weberhaus. Now that I have this dog, I find it deplorable.

GSDs are not built to be thrown out in the yard. Especially this one.

We didn’t have to give this much thought.

So, hubby made the eight hour road trip each way to Kansas to get Jada. At least he got to meet Malinda in person.

What a goo! Jada is even sweeter than Raff. She loooovvvvvvveeeesss people. At first, she literally could not stand to be alone. If she was crated, and no human was in sight, she would howl her little heart out.

This is the dog they threw outside?

She got over that in a day.

She has a lot of drive, but a very good off switch. Jada is a lovely house dog. She is super affectionate. It can be a bit annoying, having two GSDs squabbling over lap space, though.

She is indisputably the dominant one, and very vocal about it. Yet, she will back off and let Raff have his way often enough.

They are working things out nicely. I’m staying out of it.

Outside, they ignore each other. Jada just wants me to throw something. Anything. Raff grabs toys and runs around with them. He brings them to me, then won’t give them up.

Inside, they play together like wild dogs.

Not exactly what I had in mind, but it seems to work for them, and it is entertaining.

I certainly cannot imagine two dogs better suited for each other. It’s no surprise. I anticipated that they would be very much alike. This kind of uniformity is typical of a good breeding in which the goals are well defined.

Miss Malinda does it again, as always. And, we thank her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2F5C66F-1880-44CC-B04A-30F682AD0D6F.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	520377  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raff View Post
A very happy update!

My beloved Czech boy, Raff z Weberhaus came to us nearly two years ago now. He is wonderful, good drives, nice house dog, stable temperament, excellent health. I have not had him x rayed yet; no plans to breed. But, observing this gazelle/mountain goat hybrid makes me think there won’t be any surprises. He is quite the elite athlete.

Raff is also super social and good with kids and other dogs. Extremely smart, learns very quickly, loving and affectionate. In essence, exactly dog I wanted.

He grew up under the watchful eye of our beloved Lexi, a then seven year old W Ger showline. She did a fine job with him and they were great playmates.

We lost her at Christmas time, totally unexpectedly, to a tumor. We were gutted. And Raff lost his play friend.

Nobody could wear Raffie out the way Lexi could.

Once we were ready, naturally, we went back to Malinda. I put a deposit on a female puppy from an upcoming breeding.

Then, you cross your fingers. You have to hope that the breeding will happen. Then you have to say a little prayer to the puppy gods that it will take.

And you have to wait. A lot.

I am not good at that.

But, the universe had another plan.

Literally, the next day, Raff’s full sister became available. Her former owner had returned her to Malinda for truly stupid reasons, ie she “hooped a 4 ft fence. Or, as the staff at out vet’s correctly rephrased it, “she *stepped over* a 4 foot fence”. What kind of a nit keeps an adult German Shepherd, unsupervised, behind a 4 ft fence?

Evidently, she was left outside a lot, which violated her contract with Weberhaus. Now that I have this dog, I find it deplorable.

GSDs are not built to be thrown out in the yard. Especially this one.

We didn’t have to give this much thought.

So, hubby made the eight hour road trip each way to Kansas to get Jada. At least he got to meet Malinda in person.

What a goo! Jada is even sweeter than Raff. She loooovvvvvvveeeesss people. At first, she literally could not stand to be alone. If she was crated, and no human was in sight, she would howl her little heart out.

This is the dog they threw outside?

She got over that in a day.

She has a lot of drive, but a very good off switch. Jada is a lovely house dog. She is super affectionate. It can be a bit annoying, having two GSDs squabbling over lap space, though.

She is indisputably the dominant one, and very vocal about it. Yet, she will back off and let Raff have his way often enough.

They are working things out nicely. I’m staying out of it.

Outside, they ignore each other. Jada just wants me to throw something. Anything. Raff grabs toys and runs around with them. He brings them to me, then won’t give them up.

Inside, they play together like wild dogs.

Not exactly what I had in mind, but it seems to work for them, and it is entertaining.

I certainly cannot imagine two dogs better suited for each other. It’s no surprise. I anticipated that they would be very much alike. This kind of uniformity is typical of a good breeding in which the goals are well defined.

Miss Malinda does it again, as always. And, we thank her.
I'm so sorry about Lexi. I also lost my beloved GSD two X'mases ago from cancer too. Unfortunately, it had to happen around X'mas time and my X'mases will be scarred for a while. I'm sure it'll get better with time but this 1st X'mas without him was rough.

That's great that you were able to get Jada...a sister to yours. They do look a lot alike. I hope they settle in and are a compatible pair. I'm always amazed at many of the reasons I've heard people give for giving up their dogs. They shouldn't have been allowed to own a dog in the first place. Some people do treat them like property and not as family members.
raff likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:24 AM
Elite Member

So sorry you lost Lexi, and on Christmas Eve. Heartbreak

Jada is beautiful, congratulations to you and your family. My BF has a drivey retired female (8 years old) that looks like her..I had showed you in another thread. When she comes over to visit she is Queen lol There is something really relaxing about having a seasoned and stable matriarch around. My dog Valor is a pretty stable guy with other dogs and he sure does respect her. I just got a new puppy and it is as expected a lot of work, crating and rotating and supervising limited play so puppy doesn't become doggy etc..a part of me looks back on the ease of introducing another established dog rather than a puppy lol

Are both Raff and Jada intact? My BF did get his female spayed. It was either that or not see each other for months twice a year lol I don't have the room or skill (or desire) to keep Valor from a visiting BIS. Plus at her age it seemed the right thing to do.

Good luck, beautiful pair you have there. Glad it worked out that way.
raff likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc68 View Post
I'm so sorry about Lexi. I also lost my beloved GSD two X'mases ago from cancer too. Unfortunately, it had to happen around X'mas time and my X'mases will be scarred for a while. I'm sure it'll get better with time but this 1st X'mas without him was rough.

That's great that you were able to get Jada...a sister to yours. They do look a lot alike. I hope they settle in and are a compatible pair. I'm always amazed at many of the reasons I've heard people give for giving up their dogs. They shouldn't have been allowed to own a dog in the first place. Some people do treat them like property and not as family members.
You are so right.

At least the former owner returned her to the breeder. And she kept Jada current on her vaccinations and heartworm.

Poor girl is quite overweight, though. She’s getting diet food now, and Raff has really stepped up to help design an exercise program for her. 😉
tc68 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much.

Yes, having a well mannered adult in the house definitely can be a blessing when you have a puppy.

Jada’s former owner did have her spayed; Raff is still intact. So, we dodged those bullets.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:39 PM

I understand what it feels like to lose a good dog like your Lexie!

But I also know the joys of having sibling dogs! I have litter mates who are a year old (had them since 8 weeks). It’s honestly the best to watch them play together and watch their bond grow.

I don’t think I could ever have just one dog in the home anymore. Watching them chase each other around, stuck up for each other at the dog park, and even watching them get annoyed at each other is the best thing ever.

No other dog can wear the other one out they way they do each other! It’s such an awesome feeling to know they have their brother/sister to be there for them
raff likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:26 PM

What a beautiful pair of pups! I too love having two dogs, though my two don't always get along so well. Like yours, the female, who happens to be 4 yrs older, is the dominant one. The younger male at 14 mos is getting a bit more assertive and Dasha, my girl, is getting even more vocal. They do play together, both inside (tug) and out, playing chase, though I really have to watch Dasha. I make them take turns to play fetch and that goes well. When Natty gets the zoomies, he'll encourage her to chase, but when she catches him, she can easily take things too far and turn it into a fight. So far, I've been able to remind her to "ease up" or stop her when things escalate. Natty has a wonderful, easy-going personality, but when Dasha gets too rough, he is starting to fight back. So I am extremely careful to anticipate the situation - determined to not let things get out of hand.

Still I think they are growing on one another. I was very surprised at Dasha's initial reaction to Natty. She was 4 and he was 5 mos but she didn't want anything to do with this other creature who had invaded her home. Though she was raised as an "only dog" had never been reactive with other dogs so I truly didn't anticipate her aversion. She was never very vocal before he came along and now she barks at the drop of a hat . - sometimes at him and sometimes at other things. I think it has a lot to do with trying to maintain her "place" in the hierarchy, especially now that he is older and bigger. I'm just glad Natty is so easy going or I think I'd have a real problem.

Glad to hear that your two are working out so well together.
raff likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:44 PM
Elite Member

They are both gorgeous! Congratulations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page