Threat... or not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Threat... or not?

Today I was coming back to my car after our lunch walk at a remote dead-end of dirt road trailhead. I noticed a car parked there with the door open as I started to load up my dogs. I have an older easy going mix who was still out of the car when this guy walked over smelling strongly of mary-j and started approaching me saying something about how he parks there a lot to chill and asking a few times if I was leaving or going. He started getting too close for my comfort, so I unloaded my female shepherd and kept her on a close lead. My dog knew what I wanted and gave him a series of warning barks, putting on her best scary dog look.

That finally made him back off, and he went back to his car, while I loaded up my older guy, keeping my female dog close.

When he kept approaching my car, and me, it made me very nervous. It is a remote area, and there would have been nobody to hear me yell. Cell phone coverage is spotty. There was nobody else there.

On the other hand, it seemed like he mostly was just a harmless guy who wanted to "pat" my dogs... but maybe not.

I always pay attention to my gut, and it was telling me as he kept approaching to get my female dog out immediately just in case ... but I might never know.

Sometimes it is nice to have a dog who can bark on command... but who really knows what that guy was thinking? There was another guy sitting in the car, too, so really I would have been easily physically overpowered...

The whole deal was a bit sketchy, and part of the reason I have a shepherd. They come in handy.

Or maybe I'm just really unfriendly.

Alls well that ends well, I suppose.
tc68, car2ner, tim_s_adams and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:36 PM
Master Member

Walking up to someone in a remote area to "pet the dogs"...common sense dictates to reasonably intelligent people not to do that. You did the right thing in bringing your dog out, telling him to stay the heck away. Don't second guess your decision. Better safe than sorry. I'd rather someone be mad at me for not letting them pet my dog, then me being dead or injured. It's great that your dog is in sync with you too. Cheers!
wolfstraum, Arathorn II and Saco like this.

Last edited by dogma13; 04-24-2019 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Language
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:54 PM
Master Member

I think that sounds a little creepy. Hanging around, getting close, asking if you are leaving, and smelling a little drunk...and with another guy nearby in the car...I would have been feeling alarmed too.

Good job by your girl dog!
Saco likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Crowned Member

That would have made me twitchy. ALWAYS trust your gut! I taught Sabi to bark, really light up, if I made a Tsst sound and it was for exactly these situations.
techinstructor and Saco like this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:56 PM
Elite Member

I teach self defense both physical and firearms. I co run a large women's training group. So many have come to me after an incident and never wanted to be victimized again. I always ask them about what happened blow by blow because when I am teaching situational awareness I like to have real stories to reflect on (with their permission and without using names or locations/dates). One thing, one condition is universal. I have never heard a tale that didn't involve it- they were ALWAYS uneasy for no reason and wished they had listened to their gut. And they are assault, robbery, rape victims. They felt like they didn't want to be seen as a silly paranoid person. I always try to hammer it home that feeling stupid or hurting someone's feelings is fleeting and doesn't ruin lives. Anyway, a person with good intentions most likely has women/children/siblings whatever that THEY care about and would want to be on guard too, so they will forgive you. You did the right thing. And good girl to your female GSD <3
wolfstraum, Seer, Nigel and 11 others like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:17 PM
Knighted Member

Smart decision, good dog!
CometDog likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

Good dog! Go with your gut always! It is why they will always be my favorite breed.
CometDog and Saco like this.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Crowned Member

In situations like this I tell people I’m Antarctican and only speak penguinese, they typically leave me alone after that.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:59 PM
Elite Member

Honestly while reading your post my first thought was that the guy was testing how easy or difficult a target you would be and how much of a threat your girl would be. He may not have been there looking for prey but may have been the kind that wouldn't pass on an easy opportunity.

I read your title as "Treat or not " so at the end I was thinking heck yes and very handsomely!!! You've got a good girl.
CometDog, JonRob, Datura and 1 others like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
I co run a large women's training group.
Do you also run groups for more petite women? Haha; just being silly.

Dogs are an awesome deterrent to crime of many different types. I'm so glad you trusted your gut.

Never be afraid to make a scene--I taught my daughter AND my sons that lesson. And having big, barky dogs adds to one's safety.

Maureen
Radar, Aussie/BC mix, b. 2/27/2012
Jett, GSD foster pup, b. 7/15/2018
Madison, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page