German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Threat... or not? (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/754883-threat-not.html)

Saco 04-24-2019 03:23 PM

Threat... or not?

Today I was coming back to my car after our lunch walk at a remote dead-end of dirt road trailhead. I noticed a car parked there with the door open as I started to load up my dogs. I have an older easy going mix who was still out of the car when this guy walked over smelling strongly of mary-j and started approaching me saying something about how he parks there a lot to chill and asking a few times if I was leaving or going. He started getting too close for my comfort, so I unloaded my female shepherd and kept her on a close lead. My dog knew what I wanted and gave him a series of warning barks, putting on her best scary dog look.

That finally made him back off, and he went back to his car, while I loaded up my older guy, keeping my female dog close.

When he kept approaching my car, and me, it made me very nervous. It is a remote area, and there would have been nobody to hear me yell. Cell phone coverage is spotty. There was nobody else there.

On the other hand, it seemed like he mostly was just a harmless guy who wanted to "pat" my dogs... but maybe not.

I always pay attention to my gut, and it was telling me as he kept approaching to get my female dog out immediately just in case ... but I might never know.

Sometimes it is nice to have a dog who can bark on command... but who really knows what that guy was thinking? There was another guy sitting in the car, too, so really I would have been easily physically overpowered...

The whole deal was a bit sketchy, and part of the reason I have a shepherd. They come in handy.

Or maybe I'm just really unfriendly.

Alls well that ends well, I suppose.

tc68 04-24-2019 03:36 PM

Walking up to someone in a remote area to "pet the dogs"...common sense dictates to reasonably intelligent people not to do that. You did the right thing in bringing your dog out, telling him to stay the heck away. Don't second guess your decision. Better safe than sorry. I'd rather someone be mad at me for not letting them pet my dog, then me being dead or injured. It's great that your dog is in sync with you too. Cheers!

GSDchoice 04-24-2019 03:54 PM

I think that sounds a little creepy. Hanging around, getting close, asking if you are leaving, and smelling a little drunk...and with another guy nearby in the car...I would have been feeling alarmed too.

Good job by your girl dog!

Sabis mom 04-24-2019 04:08 PM

That would have made me twitchy. ALWAYS trust your gut! I taught Sabi to bark, really light up, if I made a Tsst sound and it was for exactly these situations.

CometDog 04-24-2019 04:56 PM

I teach self defense both physical and firearms. I co run a large women's training group. So many have come to me after an incident and never wanted to be victimized again. I always ask them about what happened blow by blow because when I am teaching situational awareness I like to have real stories to reflect on (with their permission and without using names or locations/dates). One thing, one condition is universal. I have never heard a tale that didn't involve it- they were ALWAYS uneasy for no reason and wished they had listened to their gut. And they are assault, robbery, rape victims. They felt like they didn't want to be seen as a silly paranoid person. I always try to hammer it home that feeling stupid or hurting someone's feelings is fleeting and doesn't ruin lives. Anyway, a person with good intentions most likely has women/children/siblings whatever that THEY care about and would want to be on guard too, so they will forgive you. You did the right thing. And good girl to your female GSD <3

tim_s_adams 04-24-2019 05:17 PM

Smart decision, good dog!

Jenny720 04-24-2019 05:22 PM

Good dog! Go with your gut always! It is why they will always be my favorite breed.

Nigel 04-24-2019 05:33 PM

In situations like this I tell people Im Antarctican and only speak penguinese, they typically leave me alone after that.

Heartandsoul 04-24-2019 05:59 PM

Honestly while reading your post my first thought was that the guy was testing how easy or difficult a target you would be and how much of a threat your girl would be. He may not have been there looking for prey but may have been the kind that wouldn't pass on an easy opportunity.

I read your title as "Treat or not " so at the end I was thinking heck yes and very handsomely!!! You've got a good girl.

mkculs 04-24-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CometDog (Post 9161363)
I co run a large women's training group.

Do you also run groups for more petite women? Haha; just being silly.

Dogs are an awesome deterrent to crime of many different types. I'm so glad you trusted your gut.

Never be afraid to make a scene--I taught my daughter AND my sons that lesson. And having big, barky dogs adds to one's safety.