Threat... or not? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:32 PM

this is one reason we have GSDs. I like to take long walks and having a strong dog your side makes you a harder target. Most "bad guys" want to find an easy mark. There is something primal that makes people step away from a barking dog. I say you did rightly.
Saco likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:24 PM

The female urge to be nice to everyone makes women charming but it also makes them victims. No one is obligated to be nice to a stranger who is intruding on their personal space. Trust your gut.

Not just my opinion. Check out Gavin de Becker's The Gift of Fear. Best thing I've ever read about this. Becker would love the OP's dog.

Some years ago, a lady I know was walking her SchH 3 GSD in a forest preserve when a creepy looking guy came skulking toward her. She told him to back off. He kept coming. She told her GSD to put the guy in a bark and hold, which the dog did. The guy froze, and after a minute she called the dog off and told the guy he could go. He did, in a hurry. Several months later she picked up the paper and saw a photo of the guy--who was violently mentally ill and had just been arrested for murdering a woman.
car2ner, sebrench, Datura and 1 others like this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:28 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkculs View Post
Do you also run groups for more petite women? Haha; just being silly.
You made a dad joke!! lol
mkculs likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I totally agree. I try to listen to my gut, rude or not! And always better to be on the safe side.

My girl is pretty awesome. She's friendly or aloof with people in general, but when I want her on- she's on and she looks quite intimidating. It was just a sketchy situation, and when he just kept coming, past my big friendly goof of a boy-dog, I knew it was time to get my other dog out of the car.

It was interesting to see the obvious breed differences, too. My male dog doesn't have an ounce of protective behavior in his DNA, while the balance in my shepherd is amazing. Kind of cool to see that play out.

I have been meaning to read the "Gift of Fear" I've heard it recommended a few times. The idea of listening to my gut was in my mind during this whole thing- I didn't want to have regrets (or not be able to have any). Stuff happens in the woods and people do disappear. And while I love nothing more than a trail run with my dogs, there is a reason I have shepherds.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
Thanks, I totally agree. I try to listen to my gut, rude or not! And always better to be on the safe side.

My girl is pretty awesome. She's friendly or aloof with people in general, but when I want her on- she's on and she looks quite intimidating. It was just a sketchy situation, and when he just kept coming, past my big friendly goof of a boy-dog, I knew it was time to get my other dog out of the car.

It was interesting to see the obvious breed differences, too. My male dog doesn't have an ounce of protective behavior in his DNA, while the balance in my shepherd is amazing. Kind of cool to see that play out.

I have been meaning to read the "Gift of Fear" I've heard it recommended a few times. The idea of listening to my gut was in my mind during this whole thing- I didn't want to have regrets (or not be able to have any). Stuff happens in the woods and people do disappear. And while I love nothing more than a trail run with my dogs, there is a reason I have shepherds.
We taught the behavior and then put a cue to it with Sabi. I chose that noise because it's quiet and I have to say it was one of the more useful tricks I have ever taught! She was a PPD but there were occasions that I just wanted her to make lots of big scary dog noise, and that's what I used it for.
I don't need to teach Shadow anything, lol. The only thing she resource guards is me! And while she will meet people, she is really pretty vocal about strangers stepping in on me unless I control it before she starts.
Two things stop most men in their tracks. Head up, shoulders back and direct eye contact. People who look like victims become victims.
Use your words. A firm BACK UP usually does the trick. If you need to be polite add please. Maintain your space.

I seldom let people within arms reach, and I always trust my gut. But in reading your story one thing caught my attention, you moved away. Try to avoid that. It instantly gives the person approaching psychological control. If that person is a predator you can seal your fate simply by backing up. If you have to move to maintain distance step sideways or angle your body, but avoid backing up.

Keep your girl close. She did a good job!
JonRob, Datura and Saco like this.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:46 AM

I don't care what that man's intentions were, you did not feel comfortable in that situation. Your dog knew it and stuck up for you. Very good girl!

I can only hope one of mine will do the same if that happens to me.
CometDog, Arathorn II and Saco like this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:15 PM

I do a lot of rather remote hiking with another female friend, and I never go without my Dobie gsd. I always feel safe with him.

I also carry a .40 because you just never know. I totally sympathize with how you were feeling, being approached by some creeper but chances are he just wanted some privacy to light up a doobie with his buddy. Still. Trust your gut!
CometDog and Custom Billet like this.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Atomic- Yes, most likely, he was probably hoping I was leaving... but he got way too close.

And Sabi- good point on not backing away. I should know better since I understand how dogs work, and we work the same way if it runs we chase, and if we stand our ground or walk toward, (it, they) backs off. I should keep that in mind.

It's been good thinking this through and planning how I might handle it differently if something similar happens again. But I'm really happy that my dog, for her part, behaved perfectly.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:23 PM

I guess it's just my male brain, but I cannot figure out why so many women feel the need to be polite to strangers who are pushing unwanted attention on them, and make excuses for these creeps:

"it seemed like he mostly was just a harmless guy who wanted to "pat" my dogs... but maybe not."

"Yes, most likely, he was probably hoping I was leaving"

"A firm BACK UP usually does the trick. If you need to be polite add please." [That blows the whole thing and solidly establishes you as a weak potential victim.]

Heartandsoul, you totally get it:

"while reading your post my first thought was that the guy was testing how easy or difficult a target you would be and how much of a threat your girl would be. He may not have been there looking for prey but may have been the kind that wouldn't pass on an easy opportunity."

That is exactly what de Becker says in his Gift of Fear book.

Please, please, ladies, if you feel obligated to be nice to strangers who are pushing unwanted attention on you and make excuses for these creeps, read The Gift of Fear. It could save you from being brutally assaulted or killed. And keep your GSD with you whenever you can. Your GSD likely will trust his gut.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRob View Post
I guess it's just my male brain, but I cannot figure out why so many women feel the need to be polite to strangers who are pushing unwanted attention on them, and make excuses for these creeps:

"it seemed like he mostly was just a harmless guy who wanted to "pat" my dogs... but maybe not."

"Yes, most likely, he was probably hoping I was leaving"

"A firm BACK UP usually does the trick. If you need to be polite add please." [That blows the whole thing and solidly establishes you as a weak potential victim.]

Heartandsoul, you totally get it:

"while reading your post my first thought was that the guy was testing how easy or difficult a target you would be and how much of a threat your girl would be. He may not have been there looking for prey but may have been the kind that wouldn't pass on an easy opportunity."

That is exactly what de Becker says in his Gift of Fear book.

Please, please, ladies, if you feel obligated to be nice to strangers who are pushing unwanted attention on you and make excuses for these creeps, read The Gift of Fear. It could save you from being brutally assaulted or killed. And keep your GSD with you whenever you can. Your GSD likely will trust his gut.
I made a great living trusting both my dog and my gut for a couple of decades. Trust me I am no victim.

On the addition of please, I'm Canadian and we are always polite. Good manners never make you a victim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page