How she asked for help - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How she asked for help

The Kong was almost empty but she couldn't get the remainder out. So she stopped by at the table where I was working and placed the Kong on the chair next to me, then sat down and looked at me. I swear she had a question mark in her eyes. By me stepping on the Kong, while she waited!, it loosened up the rest of the treat and she was happy. I think asking for help is great proof of intelligence; first trying to do it on your own, then realizing it is not working, then thinking of a solution and go for help. What I loved was that she knew that I was helping her and not taking away her food (never done that though) as she calmly waited til the food was available. She is over 5 years old and we read each other easily. Such a good friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Elite Member

That is amazing!! She is so smart for being able to communicate that way.

Funny while I do think people can anthropomorphize too much sometimes, I also think people underestimate a lot as well.

I was working from home with Valor on the couch next to me. I had youtube playing on the TV..some dog tv channel and they were showing LEO dogs learning bitework. One trainer was using empty gallon milk jugs to hit the Mali he was working to try and take him off the bite. Valor watched intently, ran to the tv, barked, woofed. After it was over I swear he went into the recycling and brought me an empty gallon of milk. He tried to engage with it. Pushing it into me. So he had to 1) understand the scenario he was watching 2) recall where he has seen such a fun item like that before 3) retrieve it 4) try to get me to play with it with him. That's a lot of complex thinking. Rather cognitive.

They very often do have a deep sophisticated thought process. It is fascinating.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19 (coming home 4/18/19)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Wow! You rock Valor. One other example with a Whippet of mine (RIP). It doesn't attest to intelligence I think but anyways... She loved lure coursing (CH in 3 meets) and went crazy if she heard the lure operator or the machine that pulls the lure around. One evening at a club social, I had her with me. They were going to show videos of the lure coursing event. First the lure operator spoke and the dog went wild: howling and pulling towards him (so unlike a Whippet in daily life). Then they protected the video on a large white wall and if I hadn't had her on leash she woud have killed herself, trying to chase that lure...
CometDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:09 PM

In studies of wolves vs dogs, when trying to solve a puzzle, the wolves persisted independently but dogs paused and looked at the nearby humans much more. Thousands of years of evolution at work!
wolfy dog, car2ner and CometDog like this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
In studies of wolves vs dogs, when trying to solve a puzzle, the wolves persisted independently but dogs paused and looked at the nearby humans much more. Thousands of years of evolution at work!
Theory: The dog's ancestor wolf species was far more social and prone to helping each other more than modern wolves. Hence this behavior.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Elite Member

A friend of mine with a german shepherd injured her foot and needed to use a walking stick to hobble around while she healed. On one occasion she needed something nearby and went to get it without using the walking stick. Her dog looked at her, picked up the stick, and carried it to her.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:08 PM

Cool stories.

My deaf Aussie approached my dad, who was reading. Darcy put a paw on my dad, so Dad reached down without looking and petted him. Then he stopped. Darcy wasn't one for a lot of attention, and typically he'd walk away. But this time, he put his paw up and kept it there until Dad looked at him--and then turned his head, so Dad could see a loop from the collar had gotten stuck into his lip. Dad fixed it, Darcy licked his hand, and they were done.

Dogs really are amazing creatures.
wolfy dog, car2ner and Dunkirk like this.

Maureen
Radar, Aussie/BC mix, b. 2/27/2012
Jett, GSD foster pup, b. 7/15/2018
Madison, WI
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:17 PM
Elite Member

When my husband was alive, we had a GSD named Tasha. Tasha LOVED her panda bear stuffed toy, but it would get really dirty and have to be washed every so often.

I was taking the laundry out of the machine in the basement, and Tasha came downstairs and looked at me with a question in her eyes. I went and opened the door to the back yard, but she refused to go out. Unable to figure out what she wanted, I shrugged and went back to loading laundry into the basket so I could take it outside and hang it on the line.

Two handfuls of laundry later, I came across Panda Bear, and immediately knew that was what she'd been wanting!

Also heard of a lady who was training for SAR with her Shiloh shepherd. They'd finished the search exercise, and their instructor told them to put their dogs away, and gather round for a discussion. Knowing her dog wouldn't leave her SUV without permission, the lady left the gate open.

Her dog threw first his water bowl, then a plastic bottle of water out of the gate.

The instructor turned to her, and said, "I think your dog is trying to tell you he's thirsty!"
car2ner and Dunkirk like this.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 04-04-2019 at 11:20 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:34 PM
Elite Member

"By me stepping on the Kong, while she waited!, it loosened up the rest of the treat and she was happy. I think asking for help is great proof of intelligence; first trying to do it on your own, then realizing it is not working, then thinking of a solution and go for help. What I loved was that she knew that I was helping her and not taking away her food (never done that though) as she calmly waited til the food was available. She is over 5 years old and we read each other easily. Such a good friend"

That is a really nice testament of the bond/trust/partnership that you two share. The intelligence is a given:-)

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
"By me stepping on the Kong, while she waited!, it loosened up the rest of the treat and she was happy. I think asking for help is great proof of intelligence; first trying to do it on your own, then realizing it is not working, then thinking of a solution and go for help. What I loved was that she knew that I was helping her and not taking away her food (never done that though) as she calmly waited til the food was available. She is over 5 years old and we read each other easily. Such a good friend"

That is a really nice testament of the bond/trust/partnership that you two share. The intelligence is a given:-)
Yes, this dog is a treasure. Never had a strong bond with one before. I have had heart dogs, yes, but she is a few notches more, can't even explain but all of you know....German Shepherds
Heartandsoul likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page