Craziest training method/advice you've heard? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:56 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
Tim, you are not the only person on this forum. I was not referring to anything you said. Please stop taking everything I say as some sort of attack against you. The person to whom I was referring is not even a member anymore, and this happened long before you joined here.
Please, post a link to the thread you're referring to! Of course I'm not the "only" person on this forum", but you mist admit the similarity to the thread I participated in not so long ago is uncanny....

If there is another thread with such a similar subject matter, I'd love to read it! Sorry if I made an incorrect assumption!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:21 PM
Master Member

Well, here is a training method I hate...(does anybody actually teach this method, I hope not...)

Reactive lunging barking dog ( or, attacking dog! )
Owner hauls the dog back, screams in its face, and hits it.
I have seen this dog/human behavior about 5-6 times now, with different owner/dog pairs.

I started to wonder if there is a correlation between angry dogs and their angry owners?
There is!
Studies have shown that hitting a dog makes it more likely to behave aggressively.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:35 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Please, post a link to the thread you're referring to! Of course I'm not the "only" person on this forum", but you mist admit the similarity to the thread I participated in not so long ago is uncanny....

If there is another thread with such a similar subject matter, I'd love to read it! Sorry if I made an incorrect assumption!
I did not even remember that there had been a somewhat recent stroller thread. That one did not stick in my mind as having horribly bad, dangerous advice. As for the bad advice to which I am actually referring, I am not going to look through every post that a banned member made to post a link here. Also, they are not a member anymore. I’m not comfortable allowing someone to be attacked when they cannot even defend their own words.
Cassidy's Mom and Jax08 like this.

Train the dog in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
Well, here is a training method I hate...(does anybody actually teach this method, I hope not...)

Reactive lunging barking dog ( or, attacking dog! )
Owner hauls the dog back, screams in its face, and hits it.
I have seen this dog/human behavior about 5-6 times now, with different owner/dog pairs.

I started to wonder if there is a correlation between angry dogs and their angry owners?
There is!
Studies have shown that hitting a dog makes it more likely to behave aggressively.
That is because dogs, and children, learn what they live.
You cannot teach an animal to be gentle and kind by raising them with violence and deprivation.
GypsyGhost, GSDchoice and kaydub_u like this.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:28 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post

I usually don't butt in between a disagreement, but I remember Tims thread well and remember what his quote was and being relieved that he did state with out the baby. **** also remember a thread pretty long ago and I believe it is the one GypsyGhost is referring to because I remember being horrified that the poster would advise having a dog approach a carriage with a child in it. If that is the same thread GypsyGhost is referring to, I may have even participated in the thread with other suggestions.

Maybe this helps clarify a disagreement.
Cassidy's Mom and GypsyGhost like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 02-26-2019 at 08:42 AM.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:40 AM
Elite Member

Duke got the last laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyllgi View Post
I remember back in the day being told to rub the dog's nose in the carpet where it had peed

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
We only had one dog when we were little. A 6wk old sweet Beagle. Paper trained first for about two weeks then taken out. At that time, neighbors who also had dogs used that method.

Well one night my dad was working with some nautical charts (we all were taught not to touch his charts) while watching tv and left a chart on the floor. Ya know where this is going lol. Us kids woke before dad and praise the heck out of Duke but real worried. my dad came in, saw what Duke did, must have seen the justice in it and didn't say a word. Just picked up the mess.

I think that was Duke's last accident.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post

Well........since you are being forthright....I've been known to bite back a few times when the doggy-wrassling was getting a bit too heated.........they gotta learn bite pressures/inhibitions one way or another.....

SuperG
I've never tried it on a dog, but I did bite a horse once. It fixed his habit of biting me on the bum when I was climbing up.
SuperG likes this.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
I've never tried it on a dog, but I did bite a horse once. It fixed his habit of biting me on the bum when I was climbing up.
My horse stopped biting when he had s tantrum at the fence line and as he went to take a chunk out of my daughter, He got a mouthful of electric fence. Zap zap.
Sabis mom and Saco like this.

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
My horse stopped biting when he had s tantrum at the fence line and as he went to take a chunk out of my daughter, He got a mouthful of electric fence. Zap zap.
I can definitely see how that could work! lol

I've seen so many stupid training advise things that I can't keep count. From alpha rolling an 8 week old puppy to stop her from humping toys (because DOMINANCE!!) to biting the dog to putting YOUR poop in the holes that the dog is digging so that you have "claimed" the hole

The most dangerous advice I've seen goes above and beyond the normal "alpha roll" OP was a smallish female with some mobility issues. Dog was a large male intact GSD that had escalated from growling and grumbling at her commands to move him out of the way/off furniture to biting. She had already had one trip to the ER to get stitches and was extremely scared of the dog. Advise was of courese to drag the dog off the sofa, alpha roll him and get straight in his face and growl back at the dog. The person said that 1) it would give her increased confidence in dealing with the dog in future and 2) that the dog would get the idea that she is alpha.

She didn't post anymore after this question so I'm hoping that she just lost interest in the group's advise or rehomed the dog and not because this guy's advise sent her to the morgue
Cassidy's Mom and misfits like this.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:20 PM

Exclamation Krypto the Super Dog was afraid of thunder / lightning / rain, so the trainer...

Krypto the Super Dog was afraid of thunder / lightning / rain, so the trainer brought him up on the roof deck and had me hold him on a lead, sitting next to me, and started lighting off fireworks in front of him, scaring the crap out of both of us. I suppose if guns were legal here, he would have tried that instead.

Suffice to say, this may have been a good idea, but it did not work. After that, if a door slammed, Kdog would jump and run for cover, and continued to live in fear of monsoon weather until he passed.
sebrench likes this.

Jigs | Co-Founder of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| CEO at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page