Craziest training method/advice you've heard? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:55 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
taping an item inside a dog's mouth

Well it actually works, was a tried and true method for decades. It's aversion training. And while it is not something I would do, I did stuff some underlay in my Danes mouth and hold it shut for a few minutes while making it clear I was un amused. It worked.
I have to confess, I've been desperate enough to try it, too. It did NOT work! The only way to prevent a certain dog from chewing up carpets was keeping her OUT of the room where the carpet was!

That, and getting over the puppy stage, which took a couple of years!
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:05 PM

I remember back in the day being told to rub the dog's nose in the carpet where it had peed

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyllgi View Post
I remember back in the day being told to rub the dog's nose in the carpet where it had peed

Yeah....I hated that one....my mom must have done that to me until I was 12.............

SuperG
tim_s_adams and Custom Billet like this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Yeah....I hated that one....my mom must have done that to me until I was 12.............

SuperG
Just be glad you didn't do a number 2

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Well........since you are being forthright....I've been known to bite back a few times when the doggy-wrassling was getting a bit too heated.........they gotta learn bite pressures/inhibitions one way or another.....it did work but I don't know that I would recommend it to those that don't want to get down in the dog trenches.....and risk taking a hit to the face.

SuperG
I have bitten back too, just hard enough to teach a lesson. And I may not be talking about dogs and puppies lol I don't recommend it, but sometimes ..you just can't help it.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
taping an item inside a dog's mouth so they would learn not to chew on it again.

That's right out of the 1960's (WilliamKohler). Honestly, Kohler trained both cats and dogs for movies (That Darn Cat was one of them) so he couldn't have been all that bad a trainer. Unfortunately, some of his ideas were abusive.

I constantly see people training things that are going to have to be UN-trained in order for the dog to master the whole task, and it really makes me shake my head. For instance, if you want your dog to surrender the dumb bell to you, WHY are you letting him wrestle with you, as though it's a tug toy??
Well...I put pressure on the dumbell to get my dog to commit and hold it better. I got a dumb bell with strings on it. He has an awesome out. It helped his whole retrieve a lot.
Jax08 likes this.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
Biting a puppy back if it bites you, .
My MIL did that to one of our Boxers. My son described it to me while we were in line at Pittsburgh Penguins game.

T: Bandit bit Grama.
Me: Bandit?? Bandit BIT your grandmother?
T: Yeah.
Me: Why?
T: She was painting his nails
~Guy behind us chokes on his drink
Me: Painting his nails? So what did she do?
T: She bit him back
~Guy behind us trying very hard to laugh
T: Grama is so lazy she doesn't sit up to eat.
~Guy behind us falls down.
T: ~stomping his little feet at us~ It's not funny!!!!

No little dude...that was hysterical.

post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Well...I put pressure on the dumbell to get my dog to commit and hold it better. I got a dumb bell with strings on it. He has an awesome out. It helped his whole retrieve a lot.
yup. If they aren't holding it tight, they lose it. No reward. They grip harder.

The hold and the Out are two different commands, each have to be obeyed separately.

If I want my dog to out the sleeve, why have the helper fight them?
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
The craziest advice I’ve heard actually came from this forum, and it had to do with socialization/exposure for a dog that was fearful of strollers. A member suggested the person with the reactive/fearful dog seek out strangers pushing their babies in strollers and have their dog “investigate” the stroller. I just thought that was bonkers and dangerous.
It's hard to hear this and not clarify, since I am the crazy person who posted that advice! Of course, what you said above is not at all what I suggested, but your memory of what I did say clarifies why you reacted as you did 😑 Here's the quote from the thread:

Quote:
So if the child was in a stroller and Moose hasn't seen one up close I'd suggest letting him sniff one up close (without the child present) and that should help.
Here's the link to the thread if anyone wants to read it for themselves:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-skittish.html
car2ner likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:43 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
It's hard to hear this and not clarify, since I am the crazy person who posted that advice! Of course, what you said above is not at all what I suggested, but your memory of what I did say clarifies why you reacted as you did 😑 Here's the quote from the thread:

Here's the link to the thread if anyone wants to read it for themselves:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-skittish.html
Tim, you are not the only person on this forum. I was not referring to anything you said. Please stop taking everything I say as some sort of attack against you. The person to whom I was referring is not even a member anymore, and this happened long before you joined here.
Cassidy's Mom, Jax08 and misfits like this.

Train the dog in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page