Amazing skills that you didn't train your dog to do - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ashley0882
  • 1 Post By Bramble

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Amazing skills that you didn't train your dog to do

My husband is a hunter. Leo tracked and found the deer. We didn't train him to do it and he's never seen it being done!! He was 5 months old, seen daddy with a gun, layed silent and patiently for him to shoot. When he went to find it, Leo went with him. He layed down, daddy said come on Leo, he refused to move until daddy seen what he found! Blood from the deer! He was praised. Started tracking again, found the deer and Layed down again!! I was amazed that he done that without being trained!! One thing that I did teach him is to wake up sissy. It only took 2 times of me showing him what to do! She's hard to wake up sometimes. I call him inside, and say "go wake up sissy" he goes straight to her room, jumps on her bed and starts licking her face and pulling her arms and legs until she gets out of bed! Then he runs to me and jumps in my lap all happy! He's huge now so jumping in my lap isn't very fun for me anymore!! Sometimes he goes and just lays down beside her like, it's too early for this! And grunts when I say, it's not Saturday shes gotta go to school!! Then paws at my hand when I shake her to wake up. Like he's saying leave us alone!! Lol!!
dogma13 and car2ner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 04:21 PM
Master Member

Depending on where you are in it may be illegal to use a dog to track deer, or they may need to be certified and/or licensed to be used for tracking. Check your local regulations.
car2ner likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

It's not illegal here. Ppl run dogs during deer season all the time. The only way it's illegal is if you don't have hunting license. I thought it was amazing that he done it without being trained to!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:51 AM

My neighbor was telling Mr a similar story. It is cool watching them do there thing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Crowned Member

Max will try to track deer but I redirect. He likes to lick animal urine to so he gets a lepto shot. Luna to she enjoys tracking all the little animals. They both have quite a nose. I know when a deer is close by just by reading max. If we had bears here he would give me a big heads up. Often I see max have his tongue out a bit and he lift his one paw up as in this photo when he scents a deer close by. I think he has pointer in their somewhere. Luna turns to me and says -uh oh -you better call him over now before he takes off after that deer he smells! Another photo Max and Luna on scent. Max looks proud of young Luna lol!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 11-17-2018 at 08:53 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:42 AM
Elite Member

I was training Ranger, a rescue GSD to be my hearing ear dog. I had to hire a professional trainer to teach him to alert to the door, as he'd been an outside dog, and had no idea what a knock on the door, or the doorbell meant.

I have never, ever had a dog learn as fast as he did. After fifteen minutes, he had it down cold.

The trainer then asked what else I wanted to teach him, as I'd paid her for a whole hour. "How about the timer?" she suggested.

We did at the most two repetitions with the kitchen timer, then I said, "You know, I only use that timer once in a blue moon. Let's make sure he's proofed on the important stuff like the smoke alarm and alarm clock!"

So, six months later, I'm timing some fish in the oven. I have the timer right beside me, so I will be sure to hear it when it goes off. The second it does, Ranger gets up, and shoves his big head underneath my elbow. I turn the timer off, and look at him.

"I never taught you to alert to this!" I said.

I thought he must have been generalizing with all the other things I'd trained him to alert to that went 'beep'. It was several days before I remembered that one extremely brief session with the trainer!

Edit: and yes, it WAS the timer he was alerting to. I made it go off again, just to be sure!

Last edited by Sunsilver; 11-17-2018 at 10:51 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:54 PM

Beau alerts to the timer on my phone that I use when I’m brewing coffee in my French press and don’t want to forget it’s brewing. (This can happen on the 2nd cup.) He will woof when it goes off, then if I’m not responding he’ll go stand in front of the coffee pot and bark once at me. I never taught him to do this, but I found one day it’s useful if I happen to be running water in the bathroom when the chime sounds.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:42 PM
Elite Member

The GSD I had previous to Ranger seemed to know I was hearing impaired. When someone came to the door, instead of running to woof at the door, she'd stand near me and woof in the general direction of the door.

She also learned that if she needed to go out during the night, she had to stand right by the bed, and woof right in my ear! If that didn't work she'd put her paws up on the bed.

One of my current GSDs still hasn't learned this. If she needs to go out before I'm up in the morning, she stands at the front door and woofs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page